another aussie mirror thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I did a thread search on the mirrors, but could not find this issue covered.

I recently picked up a pair of the all metal aussie mirrors. Very happy with the large view area and no issue with vibration messing up the view. My question is, has anyone had trouble with getting the correct field of vision out of these mirrors.

I have the driver's side mirror tipped all the way up and all the way out inside the mirror housing, but am still looking at a fair amount of ground and a fair amount of the side of the truck. I have disassembled the mirror out of the housing to make sure that I am getting the full range of motion. Because the spring tension on the pivot is very strong, I cannot simply rotate the mirror housing out a little bit. So for the time being, I have placed a small wedge between the inside and the bottom of the mirror head to tip it a little further up and out.

Anyone else with this problem AND -OR solution. Thanks in advance.

:)

When guys around here started getting the JDM 60 series parabolic mirrors they had the same trouble. They are aimed with a right seat driver in mind. If you really want the 60 series ones to work you have to dissasemble them and create some new detents.

what odd it those are not really Aussie mirors, they are also Euro spec, so, that means that someplace there is the correct mirror for a LHD rig.

lowenbrau said:
When guys around here started getting the JDM 60 series parabolic mirrors they had the same trouble. They are aimed with a right seat driver in mind. If you really want the 60 series ones to work you have to dissasemble them and create some new detents.

I actually disassembled the arms and found that they have very good detents, and good strong springs. You would not want to modify these as they would compromise the stability of the mirror.

Well, if you don't want to modify the mirror, I could help you do a RHD conversion. ;p

Seriously I think you can swap the bases side to side or redrill the detents. My HJ60 mirrors are holding up ok so I've never had to buy the offshore stuff and as a result all my info is all gleaned from others.

Good Luck

Landpimp said:
what odd it those are not really Aussie mirors, they are also Euro spec, so, that means that someplace there is the correct mirror for a LHD rig.
Yes, seeing those listed as Aussie mirrors has bothered me a bit. After seeing thousands of Land Cruisers across Australia I have never run across those mirrors. Has anyone?

StanCruiserMan said:
Yes, seeing those listed as Aussie mirrors has bothered me a bit. After seeing thousands of Land Cruisers across Australia I have never run across those mirrors. Has anyone?

I've been saying that for a while...the "Aussie" moniker came from either SOR or MAF, and it stuck. They've been called that for 11+ years.

Exiled said:
I've been saying that for a while...the "Aussie" moniker came from either SOR or MAF, and it stuck. They've been called that for 11+ years.

I know 2-3 shops in oz that sell the 'aussie mirror". They dont sell many and will only order them in .

These are the REAL aussie mirrors that are fitted to working cruisers.
The holes for the bottom bracket are done at the assembly plant and the mirrors are fitted at the caryard. They are made by Britech and are about $100 a pair.
1HZ PICS 003 (Small) (Medium).jpg

and you be where I got my learnin :)

Exiled said:

i gutting mine

i'm gutting my new mirrors tomorrow, tired of looking at the ground

19Aug2005 (UTC +8)

Exiled said:

'Coz in Australia they don't call 'em Aussie mirrors, but just "mirrors"? :D

The so-called OEM "Aussie" mirrors that SOR sells don't have "sides"...they rotate 360° in both axes, and are convex, for a wide angle view BTW. Sounds like you guys are talking about non-electric, 62-style mirrors, what with detents and all.

I think Euro, middle east ect. maybe JDM also.

I really like the real fj40 Euro mirrors but they are insanely expensive, like $500 each!!!!!

Tinker said:
So are these mirrors JDM?

mine are the 62 style off ebay, good mirror for the price, buy need to be modified

I can live with the size, vibration, and lack of a parabolic right side mirror in my 60 (but I wouldn't mind fizing all of the above). The one thing I can't STAND, though, is the fact that every idiot who walks by bumps the mirror, necessitating a readjustment. I might go to the 62-style mirrors for that reason alone.

i really like my stock 62 mirriors, but wish they wouldnt shake and wiggle so much. Its just the mirror itself, but the entire body, can this be fixed?

GearHead -
Who sold you your "62-style" mirrors? Was there any mention they weren't OEM quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom