another aussie mirror thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just received a pair FJ62 manual (high impact plastic- not metal) mirrors from coolcruisers.com that I planned on mounting on mmy FJ60.

http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/mirfjfjcharg.html

They look great on but also have the problem of "looking at the side of the truck" when set at the correct bump stop and looking from the drivers seat. I called in to the tech there and they said they had no idea what the problem was and that "lots of guys have this mirror without any problems." After reading this thread it now makes sense. They're set up for right hand drive! Looks like they're selling right hand driver mirrors without any mention of it on their website.

So, apparantly I am not the only one with this problem! I don't get over to the CCOT website much, but my mirrors look just like the black ones they have there; prolly came from the same importer.\

I have removed and examined the pivot that the mirror itself pivots on and determined that the proper adjustment for my use is almost 1/4" beyond the limits of the pivot. For the time being, I wedged a piece of rubber hose between the mirror and the mirror head to hold the mirror to that position. I would fuss with it more, but I am working on much bigger projects on the 60 and the 45 right now. [like diegrinding three feet out of the 60 roofline and welding in fresh metal before winter!]

Anybody else come up with any ideas a little less bootyfab than the rubber hose? :doh:

Anyone else have this issue with the CCOT mirrors? Or have ordered them and they fit just fine? I'm still working out the issue with them. Here was their initial response-

"In just a guess, it sounds like the heads may be on the wrong side and twisted around 180 degrees off.
Pls check the above with your mirrors.
We've sold hundreds of these mirrors and have never heard this claim before from any other Customer."

Any of you one of the hundreds of customers out there that can let me know if this has been your experinece?

I seem to remember switching bottoms on some CCOT mirrors.

OEM non powered 62 mirrors are not too expensive and are really nice.

dd113 said:
I seem to remember switching bottoms on some CCOT mirrors.

OEM non powered 62 mirrors are not too expensive and are really nice.

Tried to talk my glass guy (60 owner) into those after he broke one of his stockers. He went with an "aussie" mirror and I can't tell if he really likes it or not.

after reading through all this, i'm still not clear on if the CCOT 62 mirrors are decent replacements or should be avoided. any final word? i'm currently in the market and looking for the best replacement option.

loeky said:
after reading through all this, i'm still not clear on if the CCOT 62 mirrors are decent replacements or should be avoided. any final word? i'm currently in the market and looking for the best replacement option.

I have the CCOT 62 black plastic mirrors. They work. not fantastic. they buzz at speed. I have troulbe with the viewing angle as well, but figured it had more to do with being 6'8" and somewhat out of the typical range...than the mirrors themselves.
I wouldn't throw them away as junk, but on my new(er) 87 i have purchased the "aussie" OEM mirrors. Not mounted yet - being lazy, but they look great, and I hope the larger viewing angle will help.

hth

rob

thanks rob. exactly what i'm after. looks like i'll be hunting down a set of the aussie's and be done with it. i really hate buying things twice and i'm picky enough to have done it a couple times.

thx again.

loeky - no prob! I haven't mounted the mirrors yet to really tell how much better they are than stock... But they sure seem stable/sturdy. I have only heard one complaint - about them being knocked by people, and the whole view is knocked askew. As opposed to the 62 style with the mirror inside and not as susceptible to being put out of whack. They are on the to-do list, i will let you know. I think i got mine from MAF for a more "reasonable" price. $OR wanted ~200 ea - maf had them 129ish - iirc. hth. good luck!

Rob

sl33py said:
I have the CCOT 62 black plastic mirrors. They work. not fantastic. they buzz at speed. I have troulbe with the viewing angle as well, but figured it had more to do with being 6'8" and somewhat out of the typical range...than the mirrors themselves.
I wouldn't throw them away as junk, but on my new(er) 87 i have purchased the "aussie" OEM mirrors. Not mounted yet - being lazy, but they look great, and I hope the larger viewing angle will help.

hth

rob

It sounds like yours are set for right hand driver as well. I prefer the look of the CCOT mirrors to the Aussie style that MAF has ( http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/mirrors.htm ). They're half the price too. But the problem with them buzzing at high speed concerns me.

Looks like SOR also sells similar ones to the CCOT ( http://www.sor.com/sor/cat166b.tam?xax=4990 ) but in chrome only. I can't seem to get the bigger picture to load. If the bump stops were in the right place for a left hand driver I'd be happy with what I have. But I don't think they will stay in place under rough conditions.

truckosaurus said:
But the problem with them buzzing at high speed concerns me.

LOL! high speed? what are you driving?! hehehe...

once the h55f is in - maybe somewhat closer to freeway speed...

I may not get there fast, but i look good doing it.

These are what were pictured earlier as the "real" aussie mirrors....well they look similar, someone correct me if i'm wrong but they came on our 60 when we got it from CO.
They are very strong and seem to have some decent bracing behind the mounts.
Brandon
fj60.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom