Android users - is an Android Auto head unit worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love mine Atoto unit, torque pro for monitoring, rear view cam, dash cam.

20190711_065902.jpg

It all depends on what you want it for. I rarely use navigation and don't have backup cameras. All I do is listen to a lot of music so for me it was not worth the Android auto. All I needed was a good Bluetooth head unit. Then I just mounted my giant phone (s8+) to my dash for the times I do want to use a navigation app.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are so gay. You should *never* interact with your phone or tablet for *anything* when driving. If you need to interact with a portable electronic device you need to stop and get off the road to a safe place. Or get a passenger to do the interaction if you're driving with someone else capable.
It sounds like you have never used Apple CarPlay, everything is voiced controlled. If I get a text it notifies me via Siri then reads it to me and asked me if I want to reply, I say yes and speak my response and say send. I never have to take my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. It is amazing and perfectly safe

It sounds like you have never used Apple CarPlay, everything is voiced controlled. If I get a text it notifies me via Siri then reads it to me and asked me if I want to reply, I say yes and speak my response and say send. I never have to take my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. It is amazing and perfectly safe

Android auto has that feature too. I used it once so far. I think it all depends what your habits are.

I have the Sony XAV------ unit mentioned previously and it has Carplay and AA but I rarely use AA. This is for the '03 4Runner but I may do the same for the 80. The bang for the buck is good on the Sony and it has a rotary dial volume knob, which apparently is made for an old geezer like me! For some reason, I can't stand rocker buttons for volume control.

For navigation, I simply use Gmap on the S9 phone but maybe on longer trips I'd use AA for a more hands free interaction.

Crutchfield was the best vendor to deal with and all, I mean, all necessary items purchased at one time. Steering wheel integration was seamless and it sounds great. Again, this is in my '03 4runner with an inexpensive set of Rockford Fosgate speakers that replaced the OEM speakers and sub speaker.

I do have a backup camera purchased but haven't installed in the 4runner. I REALLY need a backup camera for trailer hookups, not so much for running over small children. :) The 80 will have identical installation I'm thinking.

Good luck.

Android Auto on my Pixel 3 is awesome.

Running it on a head unit would prevent overheating the phone while streaming music, running nav and verbal command phone calls and messages in/out.

Just a matter of finding one that at least has a volume nob + basic menu buttons that doesn't break the bank.

Android auto has that feature too. I used it once so far. I think it all depends what your habits are.

Love mine Atoto unit, torque pro for monitoring, rear view cam, dash cam.

Would you mind sharing the Amazon link to your exact radio? There are so many radios out there! It's nice to have real world feedback from this board vs some random person on Amazon. The Atoto unit I saw on Amazon has more capabilities than the Space Shuttle, jeebus!

I have the A4, bought a couple if years ago

If i was to buy today i would get

ATOTO A6 Android Car Navigation Stereo with Double Bluetooth & Phone Fast Charge - PRO A6Y2721PRB-G 2GB / 32GB 2DIN In dash Entertainment Multimedia Radio,WiFi,Gesture Operation, support 256G SD &more Amazon product ASIN B07CMV84L2
Or the joying version

I think it is definitely worth it. My original radio on my FIAT Bravo basically have no other features except fm radio. Then I upgrade it to XTRONS IN70BYF android car stereo with DVD player and Bluetooth 5.0.

Now I can play CDs, stream music with Bluetooth aptx, use google maps and I am pretty satisfied with it. What is more important is that the price is not so expensive.

I recently added the Joying JY-TQ158N4G
for me, one of the selling points is that it has it's own SIM card slot -- my stereo is no longer coupled to my phone at all.

The cellular antennas are about the size of my phone and spaced out on opposite sides of the dash - it gets better reception.
The GPS antenna is external, and full-sized, and on the dashboard near the windshield - again: it works better than my phone.

It has 64gb of onboard memory for maps & music, as well as can take up to a 500GB HDD (I just have a 64gb usb drive installed) so I don't mind downloading *all* the maps and music that I might not want to fill my phone with.

There's some small comfort in having redundancy for gps navigation. I've dropped my phone out in the wild before and was a little worried about getting back. Paper maps still work, sure, but ... I prefer GPS.

And for music - my home screen shows audible, spotify, downloaded music, and FM radio all on the same screen. Easy to switch between them.

the 9" screen is much easier to see at a glance vs. my phone and now that I'm not using any phone screen, I can put it out of the way.

Final convenience - I have an OBDII reader app that can show actual temps and voltage, etc. It's not something I really need to see all the time, but I do like being able to check on it.

Oh! and I have the chipotle app installed for easy lunch-ordering along the way. :)

I recently added the Joying JY-TQ158N4G
for me, one of the selling points is that it has it's own SIM card slot -- my stereo is no longer coupled to my phone at all.

The cellular antennas are about the size of my phone and spaced out on opposite sides of the dash - it gets better reception.
The GPS antenna is external, and full-sized, and on the dashboard near the windshield - again: it works better than my phone.

It has 64gb of onboard memory for maps & music, as well as can take up to a 500GB HDD (I just have a 64gb usb drive installed) so I don't mind downloading *all* the maps and music that I might not want to fill my phone with.

There's some small comfort in having redundancy for gps navigation. I've dropped my phone out in the wild before and was a little worried about getting back. Paper maps still work, sure, but ... I prefer GPS.

And for music - my home screen shows audible, spotify, downloaded music, and FM radio all on the same screen. Easy to switch between them.

the 9" screen is much easier to see at a glance vs. my phone and now that I'm not using any phone screen, I can put it out of the way.

Final convenience - I have an OBDII reader app that can show actual temps and voltage, etc. It's not something I really need to see all the time, but I do like being able to check on it.

Oh! and I have the chipotle app installed for easy lunch-ordering along the way. :)
Umm, no pics? COME ON now ☺️

I also upgraded to one of the newer Joying units earlier last year. This is based on Android 9 which solved most of the issues with Apps not running that i experienced on my old joying unit (android 4.4).
This unit hits the sweet spot for everything i need except that i can not connect any bluetooth device that doesn't require 2 way pairing. My phone will connect but i can not connect my Toyocom ODB1 reader or even a set of wireless headphones. If i could do that this would be a 10/10 product.

Hard to judge. My cruiser isn't the quietest by any stretch of the imagination. The mic though is pretty crap with no background noise cancelation. If i am parked up then it appears to be ok but then that defeats the purpose.

I also upgraded to one of the newer Joying units earlier last year. This is based on Android 9 which solved most of the issues with Apps not running that i experienced on my old joying unit (android 4.4).
This unit hits the sweet spot for everything i need except that i can not connect any bluetooth device that doesn't require 2 way pairing. My phone will connect but i can not connect my Toyocom ODB1 reader or even a set of wireless headphones. If i could do that this would be a 10/10 product.

Wait, where's the volume knob? :hmm:

How is the phone call audio on the new units?

It's terrible on the old one.
pm me your phone number and I'll call you while driving
judge for yourself?

So far, when I've made calls, people tell me that the audio is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom