Builds ...and it starts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
From 9:00am until 11:30 am Saturday, this happened...
front.jpg

From noon until 1:30pm, this happened...
rear.jpg

the next few hours were spend cleaning off spring hanger brackets, rivits, etc and prepping everything...not quite done with that part yet, progress pics pending later this week....

[quote author=Gumby link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg72762#msg72762 date=1070890334]
I thought you were gonna stay SOA in the front?
[/quote]

I am...didn't like the stock bumper, stock bracketry, etc....so a redesign up there as well....

"while I'm in there" hehehehe

What are you going to do on the rear suspension?

1 am assuming you are using 1/4 elliptical springs, are you using the fj springs cut down, or are you using another set?

[quote author=tewlman link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg72847#msg72847 date=1070902746]
1 am assuming you are using 1/4 elliptical springs, are you using the fj springs cut down, or are you using another set?
[/quote]

off a chevy van...happened to have them laying around, they were a custom HD set on a 1/2 ton that towed a too-heavy trailer...IIRC, 7 leaves plus overload once done. Plan to mount outside the frame rails....that fab work is still in design stages...

I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with for the front end, I'm not too happy with the stock Toyota configuration either.

I have heard that the 4 link needs to be located in line with the front of the driveshaft so that they can both flex (or pivot) together I would imagine. Do you know if that is correct?

Where did you come up with all of these???
Kowing you, ya' just pulled them out of your ass.......

Butch

Length of links: 35" uppers and lowers plus ~3" for heims

Final dimension on lower links, including sleeve: 1.5" OD, 5/8" ID, 7/16" wall
Final dimension on upper links: 1-1/4" OD, 5/8" ID, 5/16" wall

Verticle link separation at the axle: 8.5"
Verticle link separation at the frame: ~6"
Upper link separation at frame: ~28.5"
Lower link separation at frame: 31"
Lower link separation at axle: ~35.5"

Photos of the process:

[quote author=Texican link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg73044#msg73044 date=1070929513]
Where did you come up with all of these???
Kowing you, ya' just pulled them out of your ass.......
[/quote]

lol....nope, those are the numbers....shamelessly taken from a handful of projects done at the Badlands Machine Shop, including SpaceGhost's FJ40. With a little luck I'll have the frame-side lower mounts tacked in tonight and have the whole setup under there to cycle by Saturday.

hehehe

Pictures, we want lots of detailed pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

tonights photos....

a> passenger side, where the solid-mount spring hanger used to be....

rear-a.jpg

Last edited:
and b> orientating the axle for link mount location....

two links are tapped/done, two only need the LH's done...hand tapping sucks...

rear-b.jpg

Last edited:
Woody-"hand tapping sucks... "

I knew there was a reason why I purchased that South-Bend... :-*

Oh yea...

Looks neat Brian...!!! :beer:

I have had good luck using a drill once I get the tap in a few threads. I just go slow, but it is not nearly as slow as had tapping all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom