Builds ...and it starts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VERY nice on the front bumper! *right clicky, save as...* Elegantly simple.. I love it!

I asked High5 what he would do differently if he had to re-do his buggy, he mentioned going .188 for his front bumper (and frame rails), as his .120 is taking a beating, but hasn't failed yet.

"I use the entire vehicle when I wheel"... LOL this couldn't be more true... Don'tcha hate getting hung on the door opening? :D

The bumper looks very profesional, I'm interested to see what you do with the front spring hangers :cheers:

front spring hangers are created from 3x3 x1/4 angle steel...cut/welded two angles to make one U shape that's 3" wide and 3" long....mocked one up yesterday, may get those tweaked/installed on Tues night.

I think the 1/8" bumper will hold....my only concern was with impact bending. It's not significantly lighter than the stocker I removed - I was surprised. It does shorten the front by about an inch tho, improving my approach angle slightly, and pushing the winch almost tight against the bib. Still need to design/install a stinger on there too...gonna make this one just slightly higher than my old one...

Brian,

Are you going to have any other means of attaching the front bumper to the frame, other than the butt-welds that are currently there?

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg81728#msg81728 date=1072744810]Are you going to have any other means of attaching the front bumper to the frame, other than the butt-welds that are currently there?
[/quote]

what butt welds? there are 4 tiny tack welds on there, 2 per side...IMO that's sufficient, after all, it's just a mall rig anyways....

honest plans call for a 8"+ side plate fish-welded down the outer frame rail, an inside the frame rail plate/angle, and more. ;) At this point, I'm just tacking and fitting...

Thanks Brian.

I am kinda with Nolan on the thinkness point, but I guess we will see wont we..

Looks good, keep the pics and info comming!

-Steve

Length of links: 35" uppers and lowers plus ~3" for heims (38" final it appears)

Final dimension on lower links, including sleeve: 1.5" OD, 5/8" ID, 7/16" wall
Final dimension on upper links: 1-1/4" OD, 5/8" ID, 5/16" wall

No inserts required - rods were drilled 11/16" and tapped directly (by hand...uugh)

They are the identical length to what SG runs and use the identical heim - not positive on his material but they would be interchangable. I already have an extra cut/tapped with heims, should replacement ever be required. Additionally, the same rod material will be used for an upgraded tie rod, using the same 5/8 hole - 3/4 thread heims.

I know a handful of people who haven't had luck with .250 wall lowers, but have with .500 wall....I think .4375 is "close enuf" (READ: price was right) and the .3125 uppers won't experience the impact bending.

I've run my calcs thru the spreadsheet on PBB, and thus far they are right in the range I hoped....got some more to tweak for #'s, then will post up some final data once I'm sure I don't change anything. (Initial calcs showed antisquat at 85%, which according to the 100's of posts/threads I've researched, is a good range to start.)

more front bumper pics...this pic shows the capped end of the tube bumper...

bumper3.jpg

Last edited:
next step was to cut a 8" long piece of 3" wide x 3/16" thick steel

bumper4.jpg

Last edited:
then weld into place...and the outside plating/reinforcement is finished...

bumper5.jpg

Last edited:
finally, one last pic as I began welding in the passenger side....

Not positive yet on my inside-frame reinforcement, but will be playhing with ideas over the next few days...

bumper6.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' good woody, keep up the pics.

That front spring hanger looks a bit narrow..

You using shoulderless spring eye bushings???

:flipoff2:

[quote author=Jason_M link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg82770#msg82770 date=1072908896]
That front spring hanger looks a bit narrow..

You using shoulderless spring eye bushings???

[/quote]

oh, you bitch....that's it....I hereby rescind my promise to not grope your missus at CM04...

shoulderless...bah....

hehehe

You can try,
I'll sic Lincoln on you..

BTW, what is the main course going to be this year?
TriTip?
Got a great supplier here in town..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom