Builds ...and it starts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

doesn't look like much got done today, but it took a LOT of measurements to get stuff where I was happy. The upper link frame side mount isn't in yet, still deciding on an "adjustable" mount or a single permanent one....

rear-c.jpg

Last edited:
here's a shot of the frameside lower mount....like that positioning, should work well for slicking up/over the links too. Wheelbase is gonna end up right around 99-100" when done...tried to not push the rear back TOO much, I did "test place" a tire and I liked the look.

rear-d.jpg

Last edited:
referring to the lower links? If they were inside the frame rail, they'd go thru the frame on compression. Additionally, the flatter the links at "rest", the better. With the ramped mount, hanging up won't be an issue. Also, I want to maintain some separation between the upper and lower links at the frame-side, and moving the lowers higher would necessitate raising the uppers as well

one is bent, and I plan to keep them for future projects.

my intention has been to mount the springs on the side of the frame for clearance issues, and to help keep the rig lower as a whole. However, the stock body mounts were in the way, and had to go...this is a shot of the PS mount

bodymount1.jpg

Last edited:
the modification consisted of relocating a new mount directly over the frame itself...as I removed the stockers, I noted they were in rough shape, and since that crosstube in my body is a 2x4, I feel this will also be a stronger mount for any future flops/rolls.

bodymount2.jpg

Last edited:
Woody, that beamer is changing my image of you :D :D :flipoff2:

woody looks great so far,tell me where did you get those hiem brackets from from or did you fab them up ?and what size hiem,s are they?good luck on your project

I fabbed up the frameside lower brackets, the axle side stuff is all from http://www.aa-mfg.com The heims are from QA-1 and are 5/8" bore with 3/4" thread...I went with their teflon lined model for long life, but opted for the 2nd from top line version....16,000#+ rated each. Not positive they will hold up, but will test out. (other version is 40,000#+ rated and nearly twice the price)

[quote author=woody link=board=12;threadid=8547;start=msg75446#msg75446 date=1071356913]
With the ramped mount, hanging up won't be an issue. [/quote]
I can appreciate that since yesterday I got hungup on a waterfall by my stock rear spring hanger. Stopped me dead in my tracks. Had to back off of the fall and take a different line. I hate backing off of an obstacle almost as much as I hate backing off the throttle.

what size tires are you planning on running .I want to see moooore .I am thinking of doing it to my 75 40 after I am done with my rotory samurai project

will stick with the 38.5 tires for now, may drop to a 37 if I opt to compete this summer....hoping to keep it pretty low, really no taller than a normal SOA project.

welded in the upper frameside links today....at least partly. Also have the axle tabs welded on permanently, but my weld skills were poor by then, so no pics...

rear-e.jpg

Last edited:
but, the better work was on the front bumper and spring hangers....bumper is 2x4 tube, 1/8" wall, with a 3/16" plate above for the winch mounting.

bumper1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually appeared to have some weld skills while doing this and the custom front spring hangers....finally....

bumper2.jpg

Last edited:
brian is it going to run proper landcruiser front fenders??? please say yes

I can say yes, but the answer is no....I ran stock front fenders for many many years, they were brand new 6 years ago, and are now so trashed, bent, and mangled that I'll likely never run them again.

Tub is due for a dovetail and tubing, but that's next winters project.

Unfortunately, I use the entire vehicle when I wheel, and am not afraid to bent/rub to get thru....fenders just don't hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom