AND IT BEGINS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Swapping power trains today and maybe tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. This madness started as a transfer case rebuild. The transfer case in the 42 was rough when I bought it and I had ordered a rebuild kit from John. I happened on a low milage BJ60 that ended up too rusty for practical repair, though it drive like a dream. I made the mistake of doing compression tests on both vehicles and although my 3B is good, the 60 motor was like new. So why rebuild the transfer case when you can swap in a power train with 195,000 original Km on it. :rolleyes:

I've already put a new clutch in the other H55F and it's ready to go in. The old clutch was still good but you don't know until you split the unit. It's going to be a big day but here we go! I can't imagine doing this without a lift, impact tools and a cutting torch like I've done for the last 35 years. Too dam old for those days anymore. Off to get greasy!
IMG_0313.JPG

That was miserable! Taking the back bolt out of the exhaust manifold with a turbo on it 1/8 of a turn at a time was brutal.
IMG_0316 2.JPG

Done for the night. %^&$& oil pressure sensor snapped off. Heat and a reverse drill bit didn't work. The easy out did what easy outs do, snapped and left tool grade steel in the hole so I'm hooped. I guess I'm swapping the covers tomorrow when my patience has recovered. I hope the covers are straight forward to swap over, never had one off before. :beer::beer::beer:

I understand - just keep your eyes on the prize, as they say. It will come together.

Bolted in after two hours of messing around swapping oil cooler plates. I've just learned the rear output flange on the 60 is different than the 40. Just trying to decide to if I should change the flange or the yoke on the drive shaft. God knows the u-joint will be different as well.
IMG_0331.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom