Analysis paralysis with GX460 lift, wheels, and tires decisions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to be overly snarky, but if you're that concerned about front offset/overlap crash dissipation then you probably shouldn't lift it 2.5 inches or install 3 inch larger tires with aftermarket wheels.
I can respect that, and am weary of getting into a debate over this, but I view adding a properly sorted, quality lift kit that improves the handling characteristics of the vehicle along with tires that improve traction as a wholly different entity from modifying the offset/overlap crash dissipation portions of the vehicle that are engineered in from the start.

I have the Toytec with 20” fuel wheels and 32.7” nitros on my GX (purchased that way from new from dealer) and all I can say is that it drives like a Cadillac, soft, but not floaty like an old caddy. Super smooth and in my opinion, it may be too soft as it dives more than I would like under hard braking, but that may be natural for the GX. Hardware is all very well made, but it definitely demands the UCAs which were not installed when I purchased, but I’ll be doing those soon.

Forgive me if this is long winded but I'd like to alleviate you of some stress. I too hit a wall when researching this topic. You are not the only one who goes over board on research, so don't feel bad!

I can say this, which will make you feel better hopefully and add some food for thought. Keep in mind my GX is also my do all daily driver in addition to my trail beast.

In the past on my FJ cruiser w/ ARB front and rear bumpers (no winch) on 255/85/16 - "Pizza Cutter" - 33" - Toyo Open Country MT tires w/ TRD Rock Warrior Rims (+15 offset - no spacers) I ran the Toytec Boss 2.5" Kit all around w/ HD super flex coils in the rear w/ Total Chaos upper control arms and did not have to do a body mount chop to not rub, however this did require proper alignment. I wheeled this thing pretty hard and didn't have any issues with it, i did graze it at full lock but it rarely happen so I was fine with it.

I loved this setup! But in retrospect, I shouldn't have gone with the HD spring option in the rear as it was too stiff, even with the steel bumper and the total chaos UCA's ball joints started to squeak after about a year and a half. I live on the north east coast so salt and road grime from winter took its tole pretty quick, I did keep them lubricated but they needed replacing after 2 years as they began wiggling in their seats.

This time around on my '04 GX470 I went with the setup below:

TIRES: Toyo Open Country MT
SIZE: 285/75/R17 (34's) - E Load
WHEELS: OEM 04' GX470 (+25 offset)
SPACERS: 1.25" Spider Trax - Black
SHOCKS: Front Dobinsons GS59-220 (black - extended travel) + Rear Dobinsons GS59-705 (black - standard travel)
SPRINGS: Front - Dobinsons C59-302 (teal - provides 3" lift) | Rear - Dobinsons C59-505 (teal - provides 1.5" lift (springs only) - 2" total w/ conversion kit)
COIL CONVERSION KIT: Dobinsons - WA59-561K (provides .5" lift)
UCA'S: SPC 25480
HIDDEN WINCH MOUNT: LFD Offroad
WINCH: Talon 9.5SR
BUMPERS: Stock

This setup very much does require a significant body mount chop to not rub along with hammering the pinch weld and trimming plastics front and rear , along with a proper alignment to 0 - 0 - 4 (or as close as possible, better to be over 4 than under as is will push it further away from the mount). Don't quote me but by my calculations w/ the spidertrax on the OEM rim is equivalent to about 0 offset rim give or take. I believe I would have still rubbed the body mount with 33's.

That said I'm extremely pleased with the ride quality of this setup even though it is 2.0" shocks all around, it is very smooth. If anyone has hesitations about this setup, don't! - I will say it is not as smooth as the Totytec boss kit was in the front but because I have the proper spring rate/ratio this time front and rear, over all I'm happier with the ride quality. The spring rate feels factory with my current weight distribution, not too stiff in the rear as it did with the my FJ.

People who are considering up springing in preparation for bumpers who do not plan do order the bumpers right way or soon after doing the lift may find themselves disappointed in the ride quality because of the heavy spring rate and improper weight distribution for the springs which will result is a very stiff ride.

The Lexus factory ride quality with the air bags is really great! So when converting to coils I was pretty weary of how it would feel but I've found that picking the proper spring rate for the weight of your vehicle is very key to you user experience being positive with whatever lift kit you choose! If it is important to you to retain factory ride quality or as close to factory as possible don't over look or downplay this detail!

If you are looking to not rub your body mount at all, guaranteed, based on my experience I would recommend you stay as close to the +25 factory rim offset as possible and run as narrow of a tire as possible, no bigger than 33" in diameter with a proper alignment - you do not need a wide tire to be successful offroad on sand, simple or technical trails.

Consider selling those stock tires and 18" rims w/ the AT3's as a package deal locally and maybe go with something taller and narrow on a smaller 17" rim to increase tire deflection potential. Wider 18's would be fine for off road but narrow 17's will be better over east coast rocks and esp. if you don't want to rub your body mount in the process.

I would have gone 16's on the GX if I could fit them without shaving the calipers. If you live in the north east and know the trails out here those 460 rims will be basically be trashed on the first really rocky trail anyway so best to get some money for them while they are new and still worth something and go with an option that you don't mind getting banged up!

Though they may not be the most attractive option, the GX470 rims are cheap comparatively, have the factory offset and are readily available, same goes for the FJ rims you mentioned, also a good option. I believe all TRD rims are +15 offset, so those would also be a good choice too!

Sliders are also a must for rocky trails so def get those as soon as you can too! You can hit some good trails with no lift and just sliders and make it through just fine with some precise driving. Skids are great too but they can wait if not in the budget, don't down play how heavy steel skids are and how much they will effect the over all power delivery of the truck, a full set of steel skids adds significant additional weight which you will likely notice while accelerating so consider going aluminum if this is a concern for you.

I hope this gave you some insight and something to chew on! I know first hand how much over thinking one can do on a topic like this. Let me know if you have any questions about anything iI mentioned, happy to elaborate.

@davidhanscooke - thank you for the information. It is much appreciated!

Can anyone advise on if OEM 2nd generation Tacoma TRD Sport wheels (those that were the same five-spoke wheels on many 4th gen 4Runner models) would work, or if the offset would be problematic? They are 17x7.5, 30mm offset. Would this cause contact with any suspension components, and how do we suspect it would impact rubbing on the body mount and body itself? Thanks!

@davidhanscooke - thank you for the information. It is much appreciated!

Can anyone advise on if OEM 2nd generation Tacoma TRD Sport wheels (those that were the same five-spoke wheels on many 4th gen 4Runner models) would work, or if the offset would be problematic? They are 17x7.5, 30mm offset. Would this cause contact with any suspension components, and how do we suspect it would impact rubbing on the body mount and body itself? Thanks!
No problem!

Those are factory rims so it should be fine. It would then just depend on your tire size, if you want to guarantee it wont rub I wouldn't go bigger than 275/70/17

I ran 265/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT tires in SL load for a handful of months before I got my current tires. Technically they are under load spec but I got a great deal on them used and knew they were only temporary.

Point is the GX470 with that size had no rubbing anywhere (beach tested not trail) and I was running 1.25" spidertrax spacers at the time as well, so you should be good in the world of 32"- 32.5" tires but would be pushing it w/ 33's. Should be being the key phrase because I've never tested this on a 460, only a 470.

Last edited:
No problem!

Those are factory rims so it should be fine. It would then just depends of your tire size, if you want to guarantee it wont rub I wouldn't go bigger than 275/70/17

I ran 265/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT tires in SL load for a handful of months before I got my current tires. Technically they are under load spec but I got a great deal on them used and knew they were only temporary.

Point is the GX470 with that size had no rubbing anywhere (beach tested not trail) and I was running 1.25" spidertrax spacers at the time as well, so you should be good in the world of 32"- 32.5" tires but would be pushing it w/ 33's. Should be being the key phrase because I've never tested this on a 460, only a 470.

100% no rubbing on the 470 with 265/70/17. I did have some rubbing on the 460 with the same exact wheels/tires as the 470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom