An ethical dilemma? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I call BIG Bull s***, Mattnatti - anyone who knows what you're referring to knows the REASONS behind that "same action" were entirely different. REALLY REALLY unfair to the vendor, here, to compare the two.

Not gonna say more.

I will stick by what I said. I DO understand the differences in the circumstances....really I do. The point I making is, if some are going to judge on "A" action then shouldn't all that do " THAT" action be judged the same for " THAT "action IE: changing usernames to circumvent negative feedback.

The seller did and has done this a few times because he is a fraud, the vendor did not and is not.

Believe me Spike Strip, I understand the reasons of both.

I won't say any more either.

There is a well respected vendor on this very forum who has recently done the same thing ( changed his eBay name ) after feedback percentage dropped to a certain level.

Changing your user ID does nothing for your feedback, the new user ID keeps the old user ID's feedback. The only way to erase feedback is to start over with a new ID.

He sure does have lots of great feedback on ebay... 100% positive, in fact.

Maybe the buyers are rich guys who don't know s*** about vehicles?

i've met Jim at a land cruiser meet about 15 years ago. One of the nicest persons I have met in the community. His experience and expertise of Land Cruisers has been widely know in the close knit community LONG before I got into cruisers. He as often offered FREE help and advice on improvements of Land Cruisers.

He sure does have lots of great feedback on ebay... 100% positive, in fact.

Maybe the buyers are rich guys who don't know s*** about vehicles?

I'm thinking that is the main point. The vehicles are pretty to look at and will run for long enough that the feedback score will represent first impressions.

It's later when they have to dump thousands into the vehicle on things that had "already been done"

I'm thinking that is the main point. The vehicles are pretty to look at and will run for long enough that the feedback score will represent first impressions.

It's later when they have to dump thousands into the vehicle on things that had "already been done"

That may be why Land Cruisers were the chosen "hobby"... they are so reliable that they can "run wounded" for a long time and many of the components can outlive a sea turtle without ever being touched.

Wow this is insane. Why would Ebay would actually allow him to continue doing business I am sure that at one point or another somebody will sue the pants out of ebay because they are liable. As far as the feed back stuff the bad reviews or feed backs go away after a year. This individual has a loooooooong history of fraud. Wow

Wow this is insane. Why would Ebay would actually allow him to continue doing business I am sure that at one point or another somebody will sue the pants out of ebay because they are liable. As far as the feed back stuff the bad reviews or feed backs go away after a year. This individual has a loooooooong history of fraud. Wow

Ebay sucks and they have a multi-million $$$ team of lawyers.

Next.

I haven't read every post, so this may have been suggested, Possibly contacting the Attorney's General office in the CO's state or in the PO's state. We have received help from the AG's office here in Nebraska in cases of fraud and they have always been willing to look int situations to determine if there is something they can do.

Just my $.02 worth.

Gregg

I think he's got a frame with a title for sale now on Seattle CL. It says SE Washington.

Among the earlier posts are links discussing Seller's prior fraud conviction for, as I recall, selling a POS to a judge in Washington State. How would I find out who the judge was and, more importantly, the attorney representing the judge, if any, in the case against the Seller? I'd like to contact that guy... I am the CO for whom Jim C. is doing all his great work.

Press release has a contact name & number at the bottom, as well as prosecuting attorneys names:

"BELLINGHAM MAN SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR MAIL FRAUD IN E-BAY AUCTION SCAM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 25, 2005

BRETT YOUNG, 25, of Bellingham, Washington was sentenced to 30 days in prison, three years of supervised release and $27,775 in restitution today in U.S. District Court in Seattle for Mail Fraud in connection with a scheme using the internet auction site E-bay to defraud nine people across the country. YOUNG admitted he advertised high quality car and truck engines for sale on the auction site, but instead delivered engines that were, in most cases, worthless junk. In sentencing YOUNG, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas S. Zilly told him he hoped the prison time would be "a wake-up call."

Court documents show that from March 2003 until April 2004, YOUNG advertised various engines on E-bay such as a Chevy 454 big block engine, a 350 Mercury Cruiser engine with upgrades and a 1968 427 Corvette high performance "best of everything" racing engine. At least nine different victims from across the country responded to the postings, sending YOUNG more than $27,000 for the engines he offered for sale. YOUNG would then ship the engines to the purchaser. But instead of receiving the high quality engines advertised, purchasers often received "old greasy" junk engines with cracked blocks or broken rods. In most cases, YOUNG never paid his victims back. The scheme came to light when complaints started coming to the Federal Bureau of Investigation/Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC), the government agency which handles reports of internet fraud.

The case was investigated by the FBI and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Reagan Dunn and Andrew Friedman.

For additional information please contact Emily Langlie, Public Affairs Officer, United States Attorney's Office, Western District of Washington at (206) 553-4110."

I wonder whether there's an internet fraud case here since I stupidly bypassed eBay and dealt directly with him?

I called them a few moments ago and, interestingly, one of DOJ attorneys who prosecuted the fraud case 7 years ago still works there--they took a message for him to call. The civil action is something else, of course--I wonder whether that must be filed in Washington State or in Ohio where I reside and where the vehicle is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom