Amsteel Attachment on a 8274-Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Threads
Ok folks, won dad some synthetic Amsteel line off ebay, go to install it on his 8274 & the install is not like I have done before.

On the drum of the 8274 there are two holes in the surface of the drum, what I have seen in the past was a thread hole on the side with a bolt you attached the line to-but not on this one.
(I have attached a picture of where the holes are located on the drum)

The line I won has two loops made into it.
(attached is a picture of the loops)

How do I attach the line to the drum:
cut it & tie a knot in it attaching it to the drum....
am I missing a part to attach it to the drum....

Sorry folks but I wanta make sure & do this right since people & a 40 will be at one end & peoples safety is involved.

Thanks for the help.
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5764.jpg

It looks like you won a winch extension line. So a helper line if your winch doesn't have enough line on it. The end you need should have a metal tab which is bolted to the winch as you thought.

Clutchee,

This should help you..
Viking, Winchline.com drum attachment
gr

Thanks thats what I was looking for...... now the issue is that dad wanted a "thick" synthetic winch line....... gonna be hell getting it through the holes.....:bang:

It looks like you won a winch extension line. So a helper line if your winch doesn't have enough line on it. The end you need should have a metal tab which is bolted to the winch as you thought.

Just a real tick rope..... thanks!

Glad I saw this I had just tied a knot in and ran it on going to have to change it to the right way now. Looks like on thicker cable you take 3 strands out to reduce its size for easier install thru the holes

Folks after using your links to attach dad rope tot he drum we called Winch Line & spoke to Thor.

Great fellow, very helpful, understood why we went that thick for rope.

He directed us to get a safety thimble & 3/4 d-shackles.

Great company & great customer support.

If only a single hole in the drum, remove the end cap (non brake side).

Inside the drum you'll probably find the cable with a clamp on it making it too large for the hole in the drum.

Hope this helps.

The end you need should have a metal tab which is bolted to the winch as you thought.

I am not aware of any 8274 series Warn winch that the cable was bolted to the drum as it is on their low mount planetary products; the cable passed through the hole in the drum and was held in place inside the drum by a cable clamp.

:meh:

Yeah just found that out after I swapped my cable for rope.

Prior post was off the instructions on the Viking web page. Whoops.

I was momentarily perplexed as my new rope had the same little metal tab. Then I discovered the the clamp in the drum.

It's easier than that other stuff.

Make your hole a bit bigger for the rope.

Put a rope sheath around it from masterpull - it is about 6 feet long or so.

tie a double clove hitch around the drum - then put the line through the hole and tie a knot.

Works like a charm - the knot never even gets any stress on it.

my drum is only 1.5 inches thick and is 3 inches longer that the stock 8274 and pulls alot more weight and have never had a problem on some very large pulls.

Here is one vid - the line was all the way out with just a few wraps:
YouTube - Lou's camp - LandCruiser HZJ79 4wd stuck in the mud

I just did this yesterday to mine. Widen the hole with a tapered drill bit. You will need on that goes up to 22mm. Then pass it through and use the old cable clamp. I added a washer to one side so it would accidentally come off.

Try wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the rope to squish it down. Once you get the rope trough the hole tie a knot in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom