Ammco still has my hj60 after 2 months!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tell them their name and address is going out as bad work on a national site. You want it all back. Mike

The Amcco guy told me yesterday that my transmission and transfer case were one unit-cant be separated.Does such a design even exist?? And why would he tell me that? This has turned into a cartoon. Thanks for all advice. starting the comlpaint process and gonna try and get everything back

See if a local tv station will fight this for you on their consumer fraud site. Mike

The Amcco guy told me yesterday that my transmission and transfer case were one unit-cant be separated.Does such a design even exist?? And why would he tell me that? This has turned into a cartoon. Thanks for all advice. starting the comlpaint process and gonna try and get everything back

well, technically the split case cant be "separated" as a unit from the transmission and must be completely dismantled from the transmission. I guess that is what he meant?? That said, with such incompetence in the first place I would be leery of not just what is being done now but what may happen in the long run. 4500 for a rebuild that MAY or MAY NOT last is too big a gamble. best of luck.

Last edited:
tell them to stuff the tranny up their ass go find a wreck and still a used tranny into your truck.

as for costs, one of my customers deceded to have his auto rebuilt in Calgary, the final bill was $6500.
average REBUILD costs is $4500 plus R&R.

Ding, ding... this is the reality of it. The ones I know about locally have all cost in this range - but they work properly when done.

Note that many transmission shops just won't work on these transmissions since they don't see enough of them and parts are not as available as a common North American transmission.

A cracked t'case can happen and may not me related to anything else.

Don't make assumptions about the trans shop, they are likely scrambling to get it done affordably after quoting too low.

Threatening businesses online is unfair - there is more than one side to every story.

Just my humble opinion.

~John

He said there was no ''split''???

Snaps, i had a long post full of many many words of direction until it got lost when Woody decided it was a good time for a forum melt down (aka update). Bottom line is I've been in the same spot where supposed profession shops with a good rep screw you over because they have your truck and you need it on the road. For what ever reason, they goofed on the written estimate. Demand the truck back and search for a used or rebuilt one. They couldn't fullfill their part of the contract - that's business. I know a guy who paid out $4,000 to get his tranny rebuilt where he could of had a warrantied rebuilt on for $1500 plus shipping and install. The tranny shop had to know this also but didn't tell him.

Bottom line, they either are screwing you our should not of given the written estimate they gave you. Either way, I would demand my rig back and pay no money. Customers are not supposed to pay for someone's learning curve unless they agree to do so.

Threatening businesses online is unfair - there is more than one side to every story.

~John

True,but after taking on a job they couldnt do and sending his transmission interstate(Im presuming they didnt inform him) and then telling the owner that it has a crack in the t/case 2 months later,you can hardly blame him.

If there is another side to the story I would love to hear it:D

And surely a crack in the t/case would have been leaking.
I suspect the t/case got damaged at some ones shop or in transit,and now it has become a game of pass the parcel;)

I would talk to them calmly and request that they return your rig. I would probably not bother to ask for the tranny as you are most-likely just going to get a different one anyway.

or.... you might look into the notion of buying a good used a440F and having it delivered to the shop. Before it gets there, ask them to install it for you at a deep discount to make up for the hassles/time/inconvenience.

In the end- If I were them, I would rather get paid a little bit for the work they've done and will do vs. getting nothing and a pissed off customer, and you get what you wanted all along: a functional transmission.

You can buy a brand new H55F direct from Toyota for far less money than you're talking about. Xfer case should be easy to find for cheap

I mean no offense here but all of these you can buy an h55 for less, or 4000 for a rebuild is way to steep comments completely disregard the fact that you are paying someone to do the work for you. Several points: Autos cost more than manual transmissions. At 75-90 dollars an hour you quickly get up near 1000-1500 just to pull the transmission, split the transfer case and install it again, much less parts and labor to rebuild the thing. Add that to an h55, a clutch kit, fire wall lines and tabs, master and slave cylinders, bellhousing and flywheel, rear main seal, pedal assembly, tranny tunnel, wiring mods, and rear crossmember you are easily at 5000, probably 6000 when all is said and done.

The shop is in over their heads, I understand that. They obviously underquoted you and may be trying to make up for that. The A440 is not some super techno transmission, its pretty straight forward, but many shops never see them and therefore don't know what is involved. I'm not supporting the shop in any way, I think they should be honest and upfront with you and work out a solution. But first, you will not get an H55 in your truck for any cheaper unless you do the work. , and second, there are times when paying a little more pays huge dividends in the end.

x2 on the pricing... that is what I was getting at before- there is an awful lot more involved in doing a tranny swap than just buying the tranny.

*if* one were to take that route, the best way to go would be to find a 60 that is wrecked, and pull the tranny and all parts off it. If you want to upgrade to the 5speed, then add another 2000 or 3000.

Cruiserparts.net has an a440f w/ tcase for $1,000. I'll bet you can find it cheaper if you look. Maybe Aamco will let you buy that, and have them install it at a discount to make up for the hassles?

Update!!
Thanks for all advice and input.dont think I mentioned this on original post,when I called the shop last week, I was told that my tranny was still out in Wash., State, that they found a crack in the t-case and they deemed it ''unrepairable'' so the the guy at the local shop found a junk yard tranny in new hamshire that he said he could rebuild for 4 grand.He later came down to 3600(and yes they did not inform me that they sent it to Wash. State)Well after advice from you guys I told him I want my tranny back.He said no problem. That was yesterday, today I get a call from him saying that he got a call from the boys in Wash. State informing him that my tranny was rebuilt and ''Working fine'' and will be arriving in town tommorrow. Intresting.there sticking to the original estimate of 2995.00. To there credit they did give us a loaner that we used the whole time,not many shops would do that.

Update!!
Thanks for all advice and input.dont think I mentioned this on original post,when I called the shop last week, I was told that my tranny was still out in Wash., State, that they found a crack in the t-case and they deemed it ''unrepairable'' so the the guy at the local shop found a junk yard tranny in new hamshire that he said he could rebuild for 4 grand.He later came down to 3600(and yes they did not inform me that they sent it to Wash. State)Well after advice from you guys I told him I want my tranny back.He said no problem. That was yesterday, today I get a call from him saying that he got a call from the boys in Wash. State informing him that my tranny was rebuilt and ''Working fine'' and will be arriving in town tommorrow. Intresting.there sticking to the original estimate of 2995.00. To there credit they did give us a loaner that we used the whole time,not many shops would do that.

How about the t/case?

Update!!

sounds fishy. very fishy.
chances are they are giving you some junker tranny that they cleaned up. but maybe I am too cynical. do you have the serial number of your original tranny?
good luck.
J

Last edited:
Rosco

they replaced the part of the housing that was cracked
Sandcruiser-that seems like a good deal on a440f-everyone is telling me that you cant find the one for diesel motors-only the 88-92 fj60-62 ones.
Jan-never wrote down the serial number-could it be on paperwork somewhere?
John G- yea the botched the estimate bigtime.
Here's what I found out today.My tranny(rebuilt torque,replaced bellhousing, repainted, whole works) is sitting in a shop MD, Waiting to be released to the original shop when I pay for it. Then they will put it back in my truck.Theres 4 shops involved in this adventure and only one made any money-the guys in wash state who did the rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom