Am I the only one breaking Rock Warriors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am now in posession of two bent, one with a crack, Rock warrior rims. Am i the only one? Both were sustained at higher speeds out in the desert. One was a rock and the other a pothole.

Anyone have any advice regarding whether either of these could be repaired enough to act as a spare?

My big problem is I really like the offset, and it doesn't seem like there are many at +50. With my tundra swap, I don't really want to have more wheel poking out. Method +35 offset seems like one of the better options in the 17 inch wheel realm.

Open to all thoughts on the matter!

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

Here is a pic to show the poke I am at now. 315 70 R17 KO2s

IMG_4708.jpg

View attachment 3344449

I don't have any info to answer your questions. Just wanted to say that's some legit beefiness you got there. I like.

Curious what pressure you're running during the incidents?

Could also go to a larger tire to get more cushion for wheels. Like a 35x12.5R17? Might be easier to fit taller tires than more aggressive offsets?

I don't have any info to answer your questions. Just wanted to say that's some legit beefiness you got there. I like.

Curious what pressure you're running during the incidents?

Could also go to a larger tire to get more cushion for wheels. Like a 35x12.5R17? Might be easier to fit taller tires than more aggressive offsets?
usually around 18psi. Pretty loaded truck in both scenarios, so definitely on the heavier side. That tire size is like .3" taller i think? Definitely have my eyes on 37s tho. Just trying to figure out how much chopping i want to do.

IMG_4784.jpg

What does higher speeds mean?

18psi seems Kinda low for anything over 30mph.. especially if it’s heavy like you say you’re building a lot of heat in the tires and obviously using up all Of the cushion the tire has to offer.

I’d be curious what air psi they run in Monica the race 200 with rock warriors

I am now in posession of two bent, one with a crack, Rock warrior rims. Am i the only one? Both were sustained at higher speeds out in the desert. One was a rock and the other a pothole.

Anyone have any advice regarding whether either of these could be repaired enough to act as a spare?

My big problem is I really like the offset, and it doesn't seem like there are many at +50. With my tundra swap, I don't really want to have more wheel poking out. Method +35 offset seems like one of the better options in the 17 inch wheel realm.

Open to all thoughts on the matter!

View attachment 3344447

View attachment 3344448

Very unusual. I’ve purchased and passed along roughly 60 (I have utterly lost track. Might be a lot more than that) used rock warrior wheels in sets, from near new to VERY used, and have NEVER encounter a bent one.

Also…I have beat the poo outa my own set, with deep scars in the rings and otger scrapes galore…but have never bdnt one.

Were you severely aired down? Did you pinch cut your tire?

I’ve been in crazy loose rock, and everything else…so… ???

I think Rock Warriors literally have no equal for weight/strength…so you are a double unicorn.

30-35psi.

We‘ve bent or broken 6-8? or so wheels but generally they are the victim of a different failure i.e. catastrophic tire failure, wheel hub/stud failure, etc.

I broke the s*** out of one in Death Valley doing a spirited run on saline valley road, aired down to 30psi.

I have a pic somewhere, but it damn near exploded. I broke a stock 80 wheel in the same fashion years before.

I now only run steel wheels on anything i own

usually around 18psi. Pretty loaded truck in both scenarios, so definitely on the heavier side. That tire size is like .3" taller i think? Definitely have my eyes on 37s tho. Just trying to figure out how much chopping i want to do.

View attachment 3344467
One of the turn-offs to 37s to me is not just fender chopping/rolling, but you'll also have to cut/change the aftermarket bumpers or else they're going to stick into the wheel well.

30-35psi.

We‘ve bent or broken 6-8? or so wheels but generally they are the victim of a different failure i.e. catastrophic tire failure, wheel hub/stud failure, etc.
Kurt, have you ever had them repaired?

“Sustained at higher speeds”
“Usually around 18 psi”
“Pretty loaded truck”

It seems to me that’s a combination inviting damaged tires and bent rims.
one was probably around 40-50 on a graded road after a weekend and a pothole came out of absolute nowhere. That one makes sense.

The other was probably closer to 20-30 and hit a rock in death valley when scoping out camp sites. Had ventured off from the group. That one actually made me lose a bead. Never have i ever changed a tire so quick, with the stock jack to boot!

The one in the first picture can definitely be repaired. Probably even the second, but integrity might be suspect. I've seen gnarlier bends in the sports car scene get fixed.

Couple other thoughts of parameters you can play with to minimize bends. Is this happening with tires on the front or rear axle?

Suspension tuning can play into this Is it bottoming out when this happens? Can try increasing shock compression valving, increase spring rate, or more bump stop. Bump tire pressure up a tad These incremental adjustments may help the wheel/tire better take a hit.

One of the turn-offs to 37s to me is not just fender chopping/rolling, but you'll also have to cut/change the aftermarket bumpers or else they're going to stick into the wheel well.

This is my sticking point too. I dont want to cut up my dissent bumper.

“Sustained at higher speeds”
“Usually around 18 psi”
“Pretty loaded truck”

It seems to me that’s a combination inviting damaged tires and bent rims.

I had the same thought. Like pinchflatting on a bicycle, but instead you just smash a wheel. That ding looks pretty small in diameter rather than a large flat spot, which I think supports the theory.

Kurt, have you ever had them repaired?

Nope, they are generally really cracked and we wouldn't want to run a race worried about a weld induced fatigue.

View attachment 3344449

BFG make 3 variations of "315 70 R17 KO2s" which one do you have?

1. (MSPN: 08884, LT-Metric 113/110S Load Range C, Max Load: 2535 lbs, Max Pressure: 45psi: Designed for Jeep)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 113S RBL​

2. (MSPN: 07361, LT-Metric 113/110T Load Range C, Max Load: 2535 lbs, Max Pressure: 45psi: Designed for Ford Performance)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 113T RBL​

3. (MSPN: 08806, LT-Metric 121/118S Load Range E, Max Load: 3195 lbs, Max Pressure: 65psi)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 121S RBL​

BFG make 3 variations of "315 70 R17 KO2s" which one do you have?

1. (MSPN: 08884, LT-Metric 113/110S Load Range C, Max Load: 2535 lbs, Max Pressure: 45psi: Designed for Jeep)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 113S RBL​

2. (MSPN: 07361, LT-Metric 113/110T Load Range C, Max Load: 2535 lbs, Max Pressure: 45psi: Designed for Ford Performance)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 113T RBL​

3. (MSPN: 08806, LT-Metric 121/118S Load Range E, Max Load: 3195 lbs, Max Pressure: 65psi)

BFGOODRICH® ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 315/70R17 121S RBL​

Load range E, no chance I would trust C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom