Am I crazy to buy a 2020 Landcruiser? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I sold Porsche years ago in undergrad they trained us to point out that a Porsche was an investment since it depreciated less than any other new car. I was always amazed how many people wanted to believe it. And Similar to @eatSleepWoof said I bought my 1 year old LX for $20k off a new one.
You shouldn’t “invest” in depreciating assets.

But you do need to get around, tell time, make phone calls, etc. It makes sense to get the best quality/least depreciation that you can afford that fits your needs

Buy once, cry once they say.

LOL. Yeah, all that was just an intro to the project. We'll be doing videos across the next year on it. Then less regularly as we do neat things in the truck.

First things first, my Ranger should be wrapped at the body shop this week or next and I need to get that project wrapped so we can take it on our wedding/honeymoon trip to todos santos in March.

Hey Wes, did you consider the new Raptor since you’re already Ranger owner. It seems like it would equally fit your needs and delivers a 37gal tank,larger interior room for your road trips.

Last edited:
There’s that whole Reliability/not-leaving-us-stranded/last-30-years thing..

LOL. Yeah, all that was just an intro to the project. We'll be doing videos across the next year on it. Then less regularly as we do neat things in the truck.

First things first, my Ranger should be wrapped at the body shop this week or next and I need to get that project wrapped so we can take it on our wedding/honeymoon trip to todos santos in March.

@WesSiler will you be starting a Build thread? Cheers.

Guy

Hey Wes, did you consider the new Raptor since you’re already Ranger owner. It seems like it would equally fit your needs and delivers a 37gal tank,larger interior room for your road trips.

The Raptor's a cool truck, but not as capable as most people seem to believe. Particularly as a family vehicle, its incredibly low payload would prove problematic. Here's more: Breaking the Law with Robert Young Pelton in the Fastest Truck Ever

There's also the question of image. Remember that the 200 is my fiancee's car. A) she doesn't want to drive a pickup, especially not one with fender flares and fake vents and whatnot and B) she's classy and we live in a place where flash isn't cool. I went for a Ranger instead of a Raptor due both to the above, and its size. I also have a lot of experience with the Ranger platform from time in Australia, and know it to be incredibly strong and capable. Things like breakover angle and width are bigger factors in determining where you can go and what you can do than some headline horsepower figure is.

And yes, I'll start a build thread once we get going. It looks like the bumpers are going to be first, and will go on early in the new year.

The Raptor's a cool truck, but not as capable as most people seem to believe. Particularly as a family vehicle, its incredibly low payload would prove problematic. Here's more: Breaking the Law with Robert Young Pelton in the Fastest Truck Ever

There's also the question of image. Remember that the 200 is my fiancee's car. A) she doesn't want to drive a pickup, especially not one with fender flares and fake vents and whatnot and B) she's classy and we live in a place where flash isn't cool. I went for a Ranger instead of a Raptor due both to the above, and its size. I also have a lot of experience with the Ranger platform from time in Australia, and know it to be incredibly strong and capable. Things like breakover angle and width are bigger factors in determining where you can go and what you can do than some headline horsepower figure is.

And yes, I'll start a build thread once we get going. It looks like the bumpers are going to be first, and will go on early in the new year.
I guess it would be considered flashy in the truck world I suppose. I am surprised the LC actually has a higher payload capacity after comparing the two, granted that has a lot to do with the type of suspension on the Raptor.I wonder if the Ranger Raptor will come to the US. That would be an impressive off-roader for those who don’t have dunes in the backyard. I don’t blame you for wanting something a little more low key. The LC does that well but I could careless what other people think. Success shouldn’t have to be hidden and kept quiet. It should be celebrated but unfortunately half the country are haters of those who have more. I’m seriously considering on picking up another LC and pretty dang excited about it. My kids were angry with me when I sold my last one and I’ve sold some super high end rides and the LC is the one they loved and felt the most emotional about. The LC has soul and I even felt guilty for selling it. Worst vehicle sale I’ve ever made.

Last edited:
The LC has soul and I even felt guilty for selling it. Worst vehicle sale I’ve ever made.

Man, that is a great comment. I agree with you wholeheartedly. It sounds silly to say that about a vehicle, but the LC has soul.

When I sold my 2008 LC, I felt like I was giving away my dog or something to get a new puppy. Which is ridiculous, but I really did kind of feel guilty.

The Ranger, while new to the US, is actually a pretty old platform that is nearing replacement. Apparently Ford will bring the Ranger Raptor to the US on the next generation Ranger platform, coming in a year or two.

The Ranger, while new to the US, is actually a pretty old platform that is nearing replacement. Apparently Ford will bring the Ranger Raptor to the US on the next generation Ranger platform, coming in a year or two.

That's one of the reasons I bought it. I have a ton of experience with it, and now what it's capable of. Unfortunately newer doesn't always mean better with trucks.

There will be a Ranger Raptor at the Detroit show. Again, I think people are confused about what adds up to off-road capability. More power and quasi-long travel suspension don't do a lot for you unless all you're doing is jumping sand dunes (and then, why not buy a SxS?). I figured my money was better spent in the aftermarket, starting with a best possible platform then fitting the equipment I need for actual adventure travel. Sorta the same deal with the 200.

Man, that is a great comment. I agree with you wholeheartedly. It sounds silly to say that about a vehicle, but the LC has soul.

When I sold my 2008 LC, I felt like I was giving away my dog or something to get a new puppy. Which is ridiculous, but I really did kind of feel guilty.

th
That's one of the reasons I bought it. I have a ton of experience with it, and now what it's capable of. Unfortunately newer doesn't always mean better with trucks.

There will be a Ranger Raptor at the Detroit show. Again, I think people are confused about what adds up to off-road capability. More power and quasi-long travel suspension don't do a lot for you unless all you're doing is jumping sand dunes (and then, why not buy a SxS?). I figured my money was better spent in the aftermarket, starting with a best possible platform then fitting the equipment I need for actual adventure travel. Sorta the same deal with the 200.
Then you should look up the ranger Raptor with an off-road group made of Land Cruisers, etc in Australia. It made the climb look really easy and it was loaded with a ton of gear. I’ll try and find the link as well, but it’s a fun video to watch regardless. These guys are very skilled.

th

Then you should look up the ranger Raptor with an off-road group made of Land Cruisers, etc in Australia. It made the climb look really easy and it was loaded with a ton of gear. I’ll try and find the link as well, but it’s a fun video to watch regardless. These guys are very skilled.

Climbing is a function of traction, and gearing. Neither of which is helped by flashy stickers.

One man's take:

The Toyota Land Cruiser is likely the most way-over-engineered motor vehicle on the planet. It is not "satisfactory", it is not "good enough". It is the best possible result.

Don’t get me wrong here but as an engineer, I here the term “over engineered” a lot and it is usually used to mean that the engineers have made something more complicated than necessary. I don’t think there is much in a LC that is really that. If anything I’d say it’s beautifully under engineered. I had a professor once tell me that anyone can build something that will last a long time but only an engineer can build something that will just barely stand. A LC is not designed to die in 100k miles. It’s not designed to hit a certain price point or maximize sales. It is overbuilt for almost all normal activity and that is why I bought one. I love that my 200 is really just a brick s*** house on wheels.

Well I guess I'm in the crazy crowd.
I just got a 2018 leftover sold as new with 6300 miles on it. I couldn't get a 2019 without the awful rear seat entertainment system and the 2020 Heritage model wasn't in sight. Sooooooo I opted to save a few $ and get the 2018 with no rear seat entertainment.
I love the LC due to it's durability and quality build. I don't give a darn about whether it's an old design. In fact, I'm drawn to pretty much anything that uses mature technology. As for gas mileage, it's a recreational vehicle. If I could have gotten a bigger engine like a Chevy 402 cu in I would have.
I like your style. Thats exactly what I would do.

Well, I could never afford a new one... actually I can't even afford my 2016 LC I bought this year for 50K @ 61K mileage. I absolutely love this car, if I could of bought new, I would in a heart beat! Only issue... and small issue I have with this car is the gas mileage. I average 13MPG... I'm constantly filling up and feels like a punch to the face everytime. I don't mind the gas mileage being bad... I just hate filling up every 3 days. Wish it would of came with a larger tank.
Note that when it get to "0 miles" until empty, you still have 4-5 gallons left.

Note that when it get to "0 miles" until empty, you still have 4-5 gallons left.

So you could then still drive 100km/60miles without a problem? Seems strange... Will have to grab a jerry can and test this out myself one day.

So you could then still drive 100km/60miles without a problem? Seems strange... Will have to grab a jerry can and test this out myself one day.
Well it depends. In town and heavy traffic, maybe only getting single digit gas mileage so maybe only 30-40 miles safely. But on the highway doing 65 or so, possibly double that.

Yes, this is described in the owner's manual.

I ended up going for it and purchased the 2020 blizzard pearl. The drive home was awesome, definitely feel back at home in a truck like this. Beat from a long day of driving and getting it all together. I will share pictures tomorrow when day light again but I wanted to say thanks again for the help and words of support!
[/QUOTE

Pics or it didn't happen !!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom