Am I crazy to buy a 2020 Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pics or it didn't happen !!

:cheers:

2020LC.jpg

If you want a hybrid. The 200 will be the end of an era.

check out the ls600hl or gs430h

those cars performance is not bad at all and get better mpg then v8 or v12 that have similar figures.

an engine doesn't define the landcruiser package, it's the reliability.

80 series was the end of an era as losing the solid front axle is a much bigger deal than getting hybrid powered engine.

check out the ls600hl or gs430h

those cars performance is not bad at all and get better mpg then v8 or v12 that have similar figures.

80 series was the end of an era as losing the solid front axle is a much bigger deal than getting hybrid powered engine.

Oh I am not saying a hybrid can't have good performance I just don't want a hybrid engine in my off road vehicle. I guess I am just old school and I agree about the 80 series being an end of an era.

What i don’t like about hybrid is the added complication to the vehicle. What I do like is the added range but it’s not enough for the extra cost. When they can get 50mi. range out of pure hybrid mode up to 75mpg, then it might be well worth it. I seriously doubt that will be the case if they were to continue the LC in America. A twin turbo V6 9spd might be a better option

The engine is a fundamental part of overall reliability so I strongly disagree. Outside of the electronic throttle and VVT our 3UR engine is about as simple as a modern one can get. It doesn’t even have direct injection, which requires a special high pressure fuel pump and injectors.

Adding DI, turbos, a hybrid system?! Multiple layers of complexity and room for reliability problems. Not that toyota won’t test it.. but I’d argue that a V6T which basically has to come with direct injection, plus possible hybrid... is a huge departure from what has made landcruisers into what we like so much. Not fuel efficiency.

So yes, I’d absolutely be buying a 2020 if I had the money and the rumors about the 21 end up being close to true.

The engine is a fundamental part of overall reliability so I strongly disagree. Outside of the electronic throttle and VVT our 3UR engine is about as simple as a modern one can get. It doesn’t even have direct injection, which requires a special high pressure fuel pump and injectors.

Adding DI, turbos, a hybrid system?! Multiple layers of complexity and room for reliability problems. Not that toyota won’t test it.. but I’d argue that a V6T which basically has to come with direct injection, plus possible hybrid... is a huge departure from what has made landcruisers into what we like so much. Not fuel efficiency.

So yes, I’d absolutely be buying a 2020 if I had the money and the rumors about the 21 end up being close to true.

Agreed, and Toyota won't be using an engine in land cruiser that won't meet their 25 year standards. Just look at prius one of the most reliable engines out there, they have been testing and improving this technology for what seems like decades... I'm not at all against it, hey we may even get more range and stop living at gas stations.

The 200 with all its fancy smanchy electronics is a huge departure in original land cruisers being simple capable reliable workhorses and at one point were also seen in the same manner that all that junk would make it unreliable, but of course not its a land cruiser.

cant wait to see what toyota brings to the table.

yes, you are crazy. wait 2-3 years for some good lease returns and get one cheap....well cheap for a LC anyway.

You folks are worried about Toyota hybrid reliability?

There are things I don’t like about hybrids, but reliability/complexity isn’t one of them. They work.

I'm 100% serious in saying that a 2016+ LC is my dream car. Sure, there are Sunday cars I'd like to have as well, like a Ferrari F40 or a Carrera GT or BMW M1, but there is no car I'd take over a new LC if I'm planning to put more than 6,000 miles per year on it. Not a G-Wagen (the new ones are the only thing that comes close, IMO), not a Range Rover, not a Bentayga, not a Cayenne Turbo, not a Model X, not a decked-out Sierra Denali....nothing. I plan to drive my 2005 LX until the wheels fall off (only at 102k now, so it will be a while) and then move to a new one.

I like the well-made tool analogy. People who have only used a cheap tool may think they are getting along just fine. Once they use the tool made by someone who is obsessed with making the best possible tool, they won't go back.

Personally, I think there are enough low-mileage (~50-60k) 2016+ models for $55k that I would go that route. But it's hard to tell someone else what they should do with their money simply because I don't know how much money you have. If the extra $35k is pretty inconsequential to you, go for it. You couldn't buyer a better vehicle with $200k, IMO.

Edit: I see you pulled the trigger. Congrats on getting a great (and great-looking) rig! Sell it to me in 6-7 years? lol

Last edited:
who knows when and if one for US market. LX may be the only option in US. Ahhh. as well will v6 turbo
This would most likely happen as Lexus has to have a large SUV to stay competitive

You folks are worried about Toyota hybrid reliability?

There are things I don’t like about hybrids, but reliability/complexity isn’t one of them. They work.

One of my best friends has an early model Prius. I think 2-3 years after they came out but don't quote me on that. He is approaching 175k and no major problems at all. Battery is still fine. I make fun of him all the time for driving a Prius and being vegan and he makes fun of me at the gas station when we compare the tab and when I always have to stop for gas and for ruining the environment?

Would I rock a hybrid Land Cruiser? Of course!!! Would I rock a turbo Land Cruiser? Of course!!! Would I rock a turbo hybrid Land Cruiser? Double of course!!!

If all you nay sayers are saying ah no I'm not going to adopt to this and that and that its too complex, look at the 200 series. Its pretty complex already. The 300 series isn't going to be that much more complex at all, I bet its going to be the same as the 200 series in complexity. I am sure the added parts such as turbo or hybrid will be pretty simple to swap out. Just look at the Prius, people rock those to 500k miles and they aren't saying that they're disposable because theyre complex. It doesn't take much to swap out a battery pack etc.

Are you crazy to spend $80k+ on a 2020 200 series? Yes absolutely for something that ancient. Sure, there's the keep it forever thing which leads people to buy these but to pay that price for something that antiquated when the 300 will be out in a year or two...

I don't think it is ever a bad idea to purchase a Land Cruiser if you have the money. You won't have to buy another vehicle for 25 years...that's like a family heirloom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom