Aluminum Wheels underneath that chrome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a set of Lexus LX450 wheels. That way I can put on my 35's and go back to 33's when I need to go on a trip.

The wheels look awful, chrome peeling, dings, etc.

I found that with a plastic scraper I can remove the chrome and underneath is beautiful aluminum. Who'da'thunk.

Is there any way to easily remove all of the chrome (and nickle maybe), so that I can roll on those beautiful aluminum wheels? Reverse electroplating maybe but I don't know anyone that does that. Sand blasting?

Wouldn't that scratch the aluminum?

Not really and I didn't mind because I was going to paint them anyway. I am at work now, but I think I have some pics at home that I can share later. If you are going for the polished aluminum look, I am not sure my method would be the best route, but I would be curious to see if anyone has clear coated them after doing what I did? I think you would need a sealer of some sort though because the raw aluminum is going to oxidize and look dull fairly quickly.

EDIT: I found a pic of one of the finished wheels. I think they look good.

wheel.jpg

20170219_091809 (2).jpg

I like the look of the raw aluminum. Perhaps a coat of clear.
That might be the way to go then. Given that, I think it would make sense to have them blasted with something that will leave a more polished finish. I know they used to use thousands of ball bearings in an agitated hopper to polish aluminum but I am not sure if anyone still does that. Otherwise, the old fashioned method of going through the grits of sandpaper would also probably work but it might take forever.

Def hit them with a clear coat. I tried to keep up with touch up sanding on non-coated wheels and it didn't work out well.

Removing chrome plating is not as easy as clearcoat. To get an even surface appearance blasting would likely give the best results. I think glass beads over sand.

Had mine sandblasted.
The finish was rough and a bit pitted. Wouldn't look good with just clear coat. I painted them though so they are nice and smooth.

You can use a gel paint stripper that will peel the coating off something like circa 1850. However it will dull the aluminum and you'll have to buff it to bring back the shine. You can buy buffs for your drill at harbor freight and the rouges you need to get a mirror finish.

Hit them with brake cleaner after buffing to remove residue and then re-coat in clear. Will stay shiny a long time after that

Chrome must be electrolytically removed. The chrome plating shops CAN de-chrome a set of wheels, but it will cost as much to de-chrome as it will to chrome a set.

I have a set of the Toyota LC Chrome wheels that are peeling and I have looked into the whole thing. I LIKE the chrome wheels, but it is not to be. Most chrome wheels are heavily pitted under the chrome because once the chrome begins to fail, impurities get under it and react with water and the aluminum to the dielectric conditions under the chrome to the aluminum. I have been told that the chrome shop will NOT de-chrome and re-chrome my wheels due to the pitting.

I am going to essentially throw away my chrome wheels. I bought a set of painted Lexus wheels that I'm going to strip, polish, and clear coat.

I am going to polish the wheels to a bright shiny finish like chrome like what truck drivers do.

You cannot sandblast off the chrome finish because the chrome is harder than the aluminum and during blasting will eat the aluminum beside the chrome and remove material.

You MAY get lucky and find a chromer that will process, but it WILL be more expensive than buying a new set of wheels.

I picked up a set of Lexus LX450 wheels. That way I can put on my 35's and go back to 33's when I need to go on a trip.

The wheels look awful, chrome peeling, dings, etc.

I found that with a plastic scraper I can remove the chrome and underneath is beautiful aluminum. Who'da'thunk.

Is there any way to easily remove all of the chrome (and nickle maybe), so that I can roll on those beautiful aluminum wheels? Reverse electroplating maybe but I don't know anyone that does that. Sand blasting?

There is no easy way! Some will come off and some will NOT come off, I tried! Mine is doing the Same thing so I just rattle canned it black and to my surprise it held really well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom