Alternators not charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a bold move to continue your efforts to fire up that alternator with the white alternator output wire unrepaired.

You realize that if those bare conductors come in contact with the case, things will light up, right?

It's a bold move to continue your efforts to fire up that alternator with the white alternator output wire unrepaired.

You realize that if those bare conductors come in contact with the case, things will light up, right?
I once had a friend with a GMC pickup that didn't put the hold downs on his new battery. 2 hours later, truck started acting weird, he got out to pop the hood and found the battery went with it, welded to the bottom of it.

Your damaged connector on that white cable is likely to find a similar ending...

Those pictures are good, thanks. Make sure the wires line up on the voltage regulator connectors. It looks like they do but you will be able to tell better in "real life" than anyone with a picture. The two connector plug is for the alternator, correct? Make sure the WG and WB wires do, in fact, go to the voltage regulator. What has caused the WL wire to lose its insulation at the connector like that? Certainly could be part of the problem and if it isn't now it most probably will.
That I wouldn’t know what cause the wires to lose it insulation, bought it like that, it sat in a field for about 20 years

Those pictures are good, thanks. Make sure the wires line up on the voltage regulator connectors. It looks like they do but you will be able to tell better in "real life" than anyone with a picture. The two connector plug is for the alternator, correct? Make sure the WG and WB wires do, in fact, go to the voltage regulator. What has caused the WL wire to lose its insulation at the connector like that? Certainly could be part of the problem and if it isn't now it most probably will.
What kind of voltage should be coming in to the VR

I hope 0 VDC until you fix the WL wire at the B terminal of the alternator. You should have the battery disconnected right now. Right?

I hope 0 VDC until you fix the WL wire at the B terminal of the alternator. You should have the battery disconnected right now. Right?
Oh ya the battery is taken out right now, but after I fix that wire what voltage should be coming into the VR?

Oh ya the battery is taken out right now, but after I fix that wire what voltage should be coming into the VR?
Read this thread from @bj40green LINK. There isn't a one size answer. Initially you will see B+ VDC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom