Alternator Upgrade Options for the GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The nations starter and alternator unit I run is sealed better than OEM and has been through a LOT of water. We have the 270A unit on both our 470s.

Reactions: r2m
I kept going back and forth about ordering Denso or something with higher output. The Denso was going to be close to $200 and wasn't going to ship for nearly a week, so I decided to order the 240 Amp unit from phoenix-alternator.com (same company as tucsonalternator.com). These are newly manufactured in Tucson and carry a 2 year warranty.

My total cost $428.99 including the $60 upgraded cable kit, which is required if you want their warranty. They're telling me it's a 1-2 day build time. I'll share the results once I get it installed and run it a little.
I contacted Chris today (14March 2023) He told me that I would have to get a fan belt 1/2 shorter than stock fan belt. He told me I would need the upgraded cable kit but it connects to the old harness due to the original wiring is wire into your original harness. It just a plug and play. It take about four day to ship the order to arrive to you by UPS,you will have to send Chris a copy of your drivers license to verify your age and ensure the order and credit card is good.He will send you an email and all you do is take a phot of your drivers lience and up load it to the email very simple procedure. Total cost with upgraded wiring harness $428.00 comes with free UPS shipping that you have to sign for the package. I will update you on the how the installment went. I would call Chris at (502) 622-7395 to order your alternator he was very helpful and I ask a lot of question in reference to: ensuring that this is a true 240 amp alternator. I have overlanders friends in Australia who have a lot of problems with there alternators such as getting water and mud in there alternators the mud will both short and wear out the brushes 99 percent of there alternators are mounted on top or mid range of there engine and the GX 470 is mounted on the bottom of the engine. So if you have done water crossing with your GX let us know if you ran into any problems with your GX’s alternator. If you stay out of muddy water and only cross a stream I hope the alternator will not run into a problems. If almost every warning light on your dash flickers on and off or the battery light comes on you better head to a parts house because you have just fried you alternator and you are running off your battery. Hope this will help other make a decision what alternator you decide to get.

12-20-22 THE PERFECT GIFT
BEST VALUE ON THE PLANET

Back to Search Results
Pure Power Series

-23%
Lester 13983ND240: 2005 Lexus GX470 Base 4.7L V8 285CID Alternator
240 Amp Custom High Output Alternator OEM Built in the USA
$439.00 $339.00
The 240 Amp Pure Power alternator is the definition of gold standard in high output alternators and is the perfect upgrade to help give you the extra power your looking for. The Pure Power 240 Amp is our flagship model and will not disappoint you.
ELEVATE YOUR PERFORMANCE GAME
Optimize the performance of your new Pure Power High Output Alternator with our easy to install, Big 3 machine crimped heavy duty cable kit which allows your alternator to perform at maximum capacity. Recommended
BIG 3 CABLE KIT
Wirekit

$139.00 $89.00
Looking to stand out and show off your new Pure Power High Output alternator? We offer high quality powder coating color options.

Reactions: r2m
I kept going back and forth about ordering Denso or something with higher output. The Denso was going to be close to $200 and wasn't going to ship for nearly a week, so I decided to order the 240 Amp unit from phoenix-alternator.com (same company as tucsonalternator.com). These are newly manufactured in Tucson and carry a 2 year warranty.

My total cost $428.99 including the $60 upgraded cable kit, which is required if you want their warranty. They're telling me it's a 1-2 day build time. I'll share the results once I get it installed and run it a little.
Thanks for those details, very helpful.
They aren't available today.
I've got it out, so I'm going to stall and talk to them before putting new one in.
I found loosening the mounting bolts on the power steering pump so it can move forward enough for clearance of alternator case easier to do than blocking that power steering pump pulley and looseing its bolt so it can move out on spline.
Crossing my fingers that the capacitor is the updated version 'cause pigtail isn't on this.
How did you compensate for the slightly smaller pulley on the Pheonix alternator?
Did you swap pulleys, get a shorter belt or adjust tensioner (or nada)?
Can you tell me what 1/2 inch shorter fan belt you used? Ordered my generator yesterday. Thanks Top

I contacted Chris today (14March 2023) He told me that I would have to get a fan belt 1/2 shorter than stock fan belt. He told me I would need the upgraded cable kit but it connects to the old harness due to the original wiring is wire into your original harness. It just a plug and play. It take about four day to ship the order to arrive to you by UPS,you will have to send Chris a copy of your drivers license to verify your age and ensure the order and credit card is good.He will send you an email and all you do is take a phot of your drivers lience and up load it to the email very simple procedure. Total cost with upgraded wiring harness $428.00 comes with free UPS shipping that you have to sign for the package. I will update you on the how the installment went. I would call Chris at (502) 622-7395 to order your alternator he was very helpful and I ask a lot of question in reference to: ensuring that this is a true 240 amp alternator. I have overlanders friends in Australia who have a lot of problems with there alternators such as getting water and mud in there alternators the mud will both short and wear out the brushes 99 percent of there alternators are mounted on top or mid range of there engine and the GX 470 is mounted on the bottom of the engine. So if you have done water crossing with your GX let us know if you ran into any problems with your GX’s alternator. If you stay out of muddy water and only cross a stream I hope the alternator will not run into a problems. If almost every warning light on your dash flickers on and off or the battery light comes on you better head to a parts house because you have just fried you alternator and you are running off your battery. Hope this will help other make a decision what alternator you decide to get.

I have the exact same 240 amp alternator from these guys that I put in last year.
Everything you say is correct and true. It is a little weird having to give them a photo of your license for the purchase, but received the alternator quickly and although I did not do the install, I didn't hear any complaints either.
And yes you'll need a shorter fan belt. that's probably why these alternators can charge at such a low rpm, they have a smaller pulley.
And I DID get the upgraded wire harness. With a winch, dual compressor and lights, don't need to be frying any electrical... ;)

Photo of your license is an add one for sure - and not something I would ever share over the internet. You never know what they or anyone else will do with it once it is out of your hands and available electronically. I'll be buying a Denso for a Sequoia when I eventually upgrade mine.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what 1/2 inch shorter fan belt you used? Ordered my generator yesterday. Thanks Top
NaPa PK2230 I as told that it’s a 1/2 inch shorter (87.8 inch total length. The original belt length is 88.3 )I’m having it installed on Wednesday the 22 March and will let you know how things went. Just had the alternator replaced today. The mechanic had to pull off the power steering pulley to remove the old alternator and yes the Napa Pk2230 fan belt fit perfectly. You can also cross-reference this number and use any other manufacturer you may want to use. I'm putting out 14.2 amps both running down the highway or idling at a street light. If I can help anyone give me a shout. Top

Last edited:
Thanks for those details, very helpful.
They aren't available today.
I've got it out, so I'm going to stall and talk to them before putting new one in.
I found loosening the mounting bolts on the power steering pump so it can move forward enough for clearance of alternator case easier to do than blocking that power steering pump pulley and looseing its bolt so it can move out on spline.
Crossing my fingers that the capacitor is the updated version 'cause pigtail isn't on this.
How did you compensate for the slightly smaller pulley on the Pheonix alternator?
Did you swap pulleys, get a shorter belt or adjust tensioner (or nada)?
Salsita, I got the NAPA 060878 Micro-V Belt it is a 1/2 shorter and it fits fine. I'm getting 14.2 volts. Good luck Larry

I ended up going with a Pheonix-alternator 240a unit.

I have a voltometer inplace of my cigarette lighter in my cabin to measure voltage. I installed it when I put in my fridge. With my factory alternator I was constantly getting around 13.7 - 14.0v when driving and around 13.0 - 13.5 when idling.

I opted to upgrade my alternator as preventive maintenance and installed the 240a unit with additional cables. Install is smooth if you pull the power steering pulley rather than the entire pump.

After installing the unit, I saw I wasn't getting above 13.0v. I called Chris, a tech with Pheonix-alternator and started to describe my symptoms. Before I could even finish, he asked if I was running the V8 in a Lexus. He told me that they've come to the conclusion that the charge capacitor in the standard 240a alternator isn't sufficient for our engines running accessories. He sent me a shipping label and said he would rebuild my alternator with their new version, designed for the 4.7 V8 and ship it back. I had to pull the new alternator, package it, reinstall the factory unit, ship the replacement, wait a week, then do the job yet again.

I received a new alternator with a pig tail where the factory plug had been. Upon installation I found that this pigtail interfered with the engine mounted gusseted bracked for the power steering pump. Not a big deal - I cut away the interference and installed the alternator (I wasn't about to pull it another time).

I emailed Chris and let them know the snags I hit and suggested the plug be placed on the back of the unit. I'm not sure they took my advice or not.

The alternator appears to be of excellent quality and I'm getting 14.5-14.7v consistently now.

I'm leaving eave my ARB elements fridge running full time as a test and it has yet to hit the low voltage shutoff.

Of note, I'm running an Odessy group 34m battery.

I would call and speak with a tech and ask about the plug orientation, but I'd recommend the Pheonix-alternator unit.
What part number did you get for a 1/2 shorter fan belt?

I bought and installed (ugh) a 250 Amp alternator I found on EBAY. It was around $230 and all I needed additionally was the 1/2 shorter fan belt and I added a #4 power (battery cable) cable from the alternator to the battery. That was about 4 months ago and so far so good.

I'm curious.. if an upgrade is done with the alternator sold by Nations, is a different size belt required, the pulley need changed and the diode configuration wrong as well as the connector to the chassis wire harness wrong.. I mean.. this Phoenix altenator sounds pretty jacked up to me.. but.. the price is right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Last edited:
That Nations unit is $$$$$ but interesting if it is sealed. They're also based within an hour of me which is good. Might look into that when I upgrade. The low-hanging alternator on these is a bit of an achillies heel, especially here where we have a ton of water crossings in general. I feel that mine is a ticking time bomb....

That Nations unit is $$$$$ but interesting if it is sealed. They're also based within an hour of me which is good. Might look into that when I upgrade. The low-hanging alternator on these is a bit of an achillies heel, especially here where we have a ton of water crossings in general. I feel that mine is a ticking time bomb....
I checked and mine has been on trouble free for 8 years now. The wife's has been almost 2 years. Still going strong! It did come with a 300A bus bar and some heavy wiring to install. We added the charging HKB replacement fuse/bus for the ALT fuse. We keep them at around 14.7 at idle.

I checked and mine has been on trouble free for 8 years now. The wife's has been almost 2 years. Still going strong! It did come with a 300A bus bar and some heavy wiring to install. We added the charging HKB replacement fuse/bus for the ALT fuse. We keep them at around 14.7 at idle.
Sweet - honestly it's probably worth the cost due to the consequences of having an alternator crap out on the trail. Could also be used to charge out camper batteries for boondocking relative to to a 130/160A OEM alternator.

Sweet - honestly it's probably worth the cost due to the consequences of having an alternator crap out on the trail. Could also be used to charge out camper batteries for boondocking relative to to a 130/160A OEM alternator.
I'm with Red and GX on this one. The Nations is $$$ but, its easy to install and the last one you'll ever buy. I cant stand having to change all kinds of stuff around to get someone's part in there. It means I have to do their homework for them.

I was kind of hot on the Phoenix and looking at it as a future mod and an inexpensive one given the price but, this thread has given me pause. I read plenty of places where GX sings the praises of the Nations.. I'll probably just spend the extra few bucks go with that one. If you ask me, its a work of art.

13994-270XP-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Red and GX on this one. The Nations is $$$ but, its easy to install and the last one you'll ever buy. I cant stand having to change all kinds of stuff around to get someone's part in there. It means I have to do their homework for them.

I was kind of hot on the Phoenix and looking at it as a future mod and an inexpensive one given the price but, this thread has given me pause. I read plenty of places where GX sings the praises of the Nations.. I'll probably just spend the extra few bucks go with that one. If you ask me, its a work of art.

and you can get it custom anodized different colors!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom