alternator out of line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The PO of my fj40 put in a GM alternator. I noticed that the pully on the alternator is a little farther foreward than the fan pully. I know that this is bad for the alternator because it has already ruined one. I was wondering how I could fix this. Thanks.

Probably will need to bend/adjust the brackets...also, some/most GM alts mount with a long bolt/spacer, a shorter/rimmed spacer might do the trick.

Mount modification is really the only solution to move it back further.

witch side is the alternator mounted drivers side longer water pump pass. shorter they may have mountd you'rs drivers side with the short pump and the bracket is for thelong witch would make alt. stickout further. both pumps will work Its just that there is a lengh deal that how they did it in the 60's

water pump shaft longer if the alt mounted on drivers side
water pump shaft shorter if the alt is mounted pass side
   theres about an 1/2" difference if I remember

The alternator is on the driver's side. It is a 66. Thanks

Than they probaly put the shorter shaft water pump on and with the old style brackets thats why It sticks out.you probally can shim it out or bend and tweak or just by the longer style water pump hope this helps Its not that big of a deal to fix :G

I think I really screwed up what engine do you have.All of what I said only makes a diff.if you have a smallblock or big block.If you got the origanal engine in it you will just have ti do some bending and shiming till you get it close   :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom