Alternator cable and corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ardnez.com
So, after removing alternator I found that the alternator cable was corroded along with some copper wires brittle and broken at the tip, can i chop that corroded tip and add the terminal on to that?

A02E1BF4-B92C-4BD3-9311-593C7A98D6F3.jpeg

259CE055-5A15-48D4-81DD-79E9E8DAA217.jpeg

5A032FFD-BB55-433E-AB18-07D0619E605F.jpeg

Far from an expert but to me this looks like some electrical arc damage and copper corrosion.

I'd say that if you have the length you should be able to re-crimp a new terminal. I would also avoid using dissimilar metals whenever possible to reduce the chances of galvanic corrosion acceleration. Think: solid core copper terminals.

Let us know how it goes!

why not replace for a little extra money?
Yes could be deeper reasons why it has done that.

Interestingly, I met a guy who set up a hydro electric generator to his house in the bush. Over years the copper corroded within the insulation, so it delivered less and less charge over time.

Far from an expert but to me this looks like some electrical arc damage and copper corrosion.

I'd say that if you have the length you should be able to re-crimp a new terminal. I would also avoid using dissimilar metals whenever possible to reduce the chances of galvanic corrosion acceleration. Think: solid core copper terminals.

Let us know how it goes!
definitely worked out, I sliced off the corroded tip of the copper cable, then crimped a copper terminal, used some heat shrink to clean things up and then used oem toyota electircal tape to clean it all up. Appreciate the help. no more battery light either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom