Alternator and Battery troubleshooting help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday my car turned on the red idiot light in the shape of a battery. I could see in the battery charge gauge on the dashboard that the battery voltage level was lower than usual--I was able to drive it home, and I've had the battery hooked up to a battery tender ever since.

My current thinking is that the issue is with the alternator, but would love to hear it if you guys think it could be different. Sorry for the LONG story, just didn’t want to leave out any detail/clues that might point to the issue.

So here are all the facts that I think may help with the mystery:

Vehicle info:
2006 LX470
Battery - Die Hard Group 31 (14 months old)
Stock alternator
Superwinch EP9.0 (9000 lbs)

Some of the facts:

1) No issues with battery/alternator observed prior to this incident

2) 7 days prior I had used my winch to help pull out roots from a fallen tree. Some of the pulls were quite hard (I was always using a snatch block.) All told, I would say there were 3 full-cable length hard pulls, and 3 full-cable length light weight pulls
2.1) Car was running during all pulls
2.2) 30% of the time I was manually giving more gas to help alternator give more juice
2.3) Winching was complete without drama or incident

3) Car was run several times in the subsequent days, including 70 mile highway drive, and several 5 - 10 mile local drives
3.1) Vehicle always started without hesitation (i.e., at this point nothing pointed to a problem)

4) ~3 days prior, I started to pay attention to a new “whining” like noise after vehicle start up. It was not very loud, but enough to get my attention. I couldn’t quite tell if it disappeared while driving, but I could definitely pick-up on it every subsequent time I started the vehicle.

5) So yesterday we go to pick-up a christmas tree (4 adults + 2 kids in car) (~20 mile drive each way). On the way to christmas tree farm, same whining sound as before when I start the car. When we get there, I lower the car to “L” mode in AHC to make it easier for me to get the tree on top of the car.

...all is fine until:

6) I start the car at the christmas tree farm and ask AHC to return to “N”. Now I don’t remember if the battery warning light was on prior to me asking for the “N” height, or in conjunction. This all happend in 1st two seconds of me starting the car. Either way, idiot light is now on AND the car will not rise from “L” to “N” (this is with 4 adults + 2 kids + christmas tree -- though I have non-AHC torsion bars and springs in the system, so it usually can handle the weight.)

So at this point (on the 20 mile drive home) I start paying close attention to what is going on. Things I noticed:

7) The new “whining” sound was now gone.

8) Engine RPM had no visible impact on indicated battery voltage (based on dashboard meter)--if I remember correctly, in the past revving the engine would cause the needle to slightly move up (as one might expect)

9) The indicated voltage was falling ever so slowly as the drive progressed

10) When we got home, I measured the battery voltage with volt meter at 11.21 volts with car not running.
10.1) I put the battery tender/charger on the battery (did not disconnect battery from car)
10.2) 9 hours later, battery showed 11.80 volts (car not running)
10.3) Another 12 hours later (next morning) battery indicated 12.1 volts at the battery when not running
10.3.1) Inside the car, measured through the cigarette lighter, 11.8 volts with car NOT running
10.3.2) Inside the car, measured through the cigarette lighter, 11.4 volts with car running at idle
10.3.3) Inside the car, measured through the cigarette lighter, 11.2 volts with car running at 3k RPM (reverting back to ~11.4 volts when RPM fell to idle, and then back to 11.8v when engine was turned off)

All these indicators make me believe that the issue is with the alternator, but the winch usage so recently before made me wonder about the battery...

Thoughts?

And a follow-up question: if the issue is with the alternator, what are the changes of me driving to a dealer 60 miles away without getting stranded on the side of the road?

What's the battery voltage with the engine running? The difference between the battery voltage measured with engine off and running would be the approximate voltage output of the alternator.

What's the battery voltage with the engine running? The difference between the battery voltage measured with engine off and running would be the approximate voltage output of the alternator.

The engine running drops voltage by 0.4 volts. From 11.8 to 11.4.

To add to Spressomon...

I would look at the voltmeter on the dash as the engine is running. Should say around 14v. I would think your voltmeter through the lighterplug would be the same. Battery at full charge should be at 12v or slightly more (engine off).

I know I have driven my old FJ60 with a full battery and been able to get down the road a long way (200 miles) without the alternator working, but that rig has a very simple ignition system and no computers or other electronics pulling a load off the battery. Shed the load as much as possible if you try it. No blower motors, no lights on, no stereo, turn off the display on the nav, pull plugs on any running lights etc. etc. I'm going a little overboard here on load shedding, but I bet it works. If you have a spare battery that will fit, charge it all the way, take it along and drop it in if needed.

UPDATE: based on your second posting of a lower voltage with engine running, your alternator seems to be bad.

^ per above it appears you have an alternator issue and/or regulator issue which is apart of the alternator (since your battery accepted a charge from your 120v charger).

I assume you checked the tightness of the battery terminals? You should, although probably rare, check the two fuses off the + battery terminal...I think one is a 100A and the other is a 7.5A for the alt.

Its quite possible your relatively long winch job is related to your system failure...dunno. You could calculate approximately how much amp draw you used during the winching process based upon data from Superwinch and the amount of time you used the winch to determine if, along with all the other draw from the battery for the rig, you went beyond 50% of the battery rating...you may discover you have two issues: Alternator and battery (potentially).

FWIW: I find it super handy and informational to have pertinent data displayed via my ScanGauge II...including alternator volt output.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will check the wiring and fuses when I get home.

... Though at this point it looks like alternator is likely going to be it...

I had a similar problem and thought it was the alternator, it turned out to be loose cable attachments to the battery. Auto Zone can put a load test on your battery for free which may help you rule the battery out as a problem.

In order, I would 1) check the connections/fuses to the battery 2) replace the alternator. From your tests, I think the battery is ok. Assuming the connections/fuses are good, that alternator is not putting out any juice. The whining probably went away because it gave up completely. The heavy winch load just speeded up the process of failing.

UPDATE

So after a trip to the dealership today, I'm $850 poorer and once again an owner of a fully functioning cruiser (knocking on wood.)

The dealership diagnosed the problem as a failed alternator, and then replaced it. From what I can tell so far (~60 miles driving), this has solved the issue.

Crossing my fingers that I'm good for another 100k+ miles on this one now :)

Thanks again to everyone for pitching in with help and advice. Much appreciated as always!

My personal guess is that my alternator was already not all that happy (perhaps one too many water crossings) and the additional load(s) associated with the winching process kicked it over the edge to the losing side of survival... then over the next following days it did its business of failing... and there we are.

Curious. Mine did not start this morning. I left the battery charging overnight, used another [less cca] battery. But all i got this morning was click click click. Any thoughts? Not sure if its the starter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom