Need help with P0120 code troubleshooting 2000 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 LX470 with about 270k. I replaced the entire throttle body with a NEW OEM unit to fix what I thought was a faulty APPS. I have the same problem and today seems a little worse.

Background: This vehicle is normally garaged and a second vehicle. Last winter I had two occasions where I left it out overnight in sub-20 temps. When I started it, it started fine, then the CEL, TRAC, RSC lights came on and I had only limp home throttle. Restarting didn't fix it, but eventually it warmed enough that it was fine. I researched and assumed it was the APPS. The sensor was almost $300 and the entire TB (with APPS and TPS) was only $500 from an online Toyota parts dealer, so I did that. I didn't get around to replacing it until last week when I had the cold weather issue again. Left it at the airport for a week and had the same problem after starting in 36 degree temp. Again, restarting didn't help, but left it idling for a while, shut down, went back in the airport for my partner and when we came back it ran fine (all 3 dash lights still on). This morning I started it to get the CEL code from the ScanGauge and when I started it, it immediately died. Twice. Third time I had to give it a little throttle to keep the idle up. When I let off, it almost died, but not quite. Then it went into limp-home mode again. Temp is 40 degrees outside.

I'm at a loss. I do have TechStream, so I can get additional diagnostic data based on your suggestions.

Thanks!

According to TechStream and my Scan Gauge, the TPS appears to be in spec. At idle, TechStream said TPS is 15, Engine off, key on, it says 16. I also took a picture of freeze frame data for code P0120. See attached, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Any ideas what could be the problem? I hesitate to think it could be the ECM because the problem seems to go away when the engine warms up and I'm not sure why engine temp would trigger this at the ECM. A wiring short? If so, where do I start?

Everything I've found indicates it should be the APPS or TPS, but I would be really surprised if a brand new TB with new sensors has the same defect as a 270k mile 20-year-old TB.

IMG_6243.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom