Alt for 3FE: MeanGreen, GM, or what (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.havasubarney.com
I know this has been hashed over a time or two but I haven't really found the answer yet.

My original alternator died last month so I swapped in a used one to get me by while I figure out a permanant deal. The problem is that with an amp that pulls 25 (and I have another to put in), lights on, EFI pump, AC fan, etc. The stock alt ain't up to the task (especially at idle where the volts dip down to batt voltage) and that is probably why my old one died.
Mean Green seems like a possibility but I saw another post on here that I can't find right now that someone was unhappy with the output of it. I figure I need 60+ amps minimum at idle.
A GM alt seems like it would be cost effective, however, I have not seen any info on mods needed to stuff into a 3FE and keep the smog pump (but I can lose that if I have to.)
If I'm gonna lose the pump anyway, a dual alt setup might be better anyway, but do two the two systems have to be separate?

Anybody figured out another way to deal with this?

On the 3FE list recently we discovered that the fusible links go bad and greatly affect your alternator's ability to charge the battery, and since most stuff is hooked up to the battery, not the alt, it's not getting good power to most stuff either. Get a new fusible link assembly, $9 at the dealer, part number 90982-08251.

Also join the 3FE list if you want to learn all about your 3FE: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/

There is no aftermarket alt besides the Mean Green. You can however take your Toyota alternator to an alternator specialty shop and have them modify it for more output.

I'm in the group but I didn't see anything on the links. I could try a straight wire from B+ to the batt but I have a feeling that won't change much. If I'm not running lights it's OK, if I'm not running stereo It's OK - with everything on my amp load is probably like 50 to 60 amps.
I think Landpimp said he had bad luck with rewound jobs.

Mean Green sounds like the way to go, but I would like to hear about somebody's experience with the 3FE alt before plunking down $400.

stock alt is 80 amp, so your load is less than the alt rating.

I still need to add another amp for front components so that will go to 70.

The volt needle really starts dancing to the beat at idle. Plus I'd like to have a little left over for any other accesories in the future.

If the mean green one puts out like 70 or 80 at idle then I'll be on board. I just haven't seen anybody report back on the 3FE version...

Since you've got the original off the truck now, I'd take it to an auto-electric shop and have it tested. If 'Pimp is correct, and I'll just bet he is, all you need is a stock alternator that is performing to original specs. Could be the internal regulator, diode or something fairly simple. You can try a smaller pulley for better idle output.
HTH
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom