All Pro skids for FJC refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I've been beating the snot out of my skids since 2007. Last summer I started thinking about re-doing my skids and finally came to the conclusion that I would be better off just replacing them, instead of attempting to fix/straighten or fabricate something myself. I contacted All Pro and showed them how "well-loved" my front skid plate is. They got a chuckle and gave me a repeat buyer's discount.

Old iron
IFS_skid (1).JPG

IFS_skid (2).JPG

Here is the test fit of the new skid, but I have bigger plans for this skid plate refresh.
Skids (6).JPG

I also got their latest version of the transmission skid plate which now protects the secondary CATs. UPS bent this one, but it straightened back out with a little banging.
APskids_2017 (2).JPG

My plan is to strengthen the front skid across the largest plane surface. So to start I'm adding tube edge reinforcements. These are actually old 80-series tie rods that have been re-appropriated. Lots of time with a grinding wheel and a little coercion from a shop press got me started. I have to do some welding next time I'm in the garage.

APskids_2017 (5).JPG
Each tube got a 1/4" slot cut the full length of it and then a kerf cut at the point where it needs to bend.
APskids_2017 (7).JPG

After a few bumps in the shop press, I took the cut off wheel to it to open the slot back up.
APskids_2017 (9).JPG
I beat them onto the edge of the skid with a hammer and now they are ready to be welded.
APskids_2017 (10).JPG

APskids_2017 (12).JPG

To be continued...

Sooooo impressive, gotta give serious props to All-Pro having those survive the abuse you've put them thru over their life. Nice ideas on the upgrades also, well done Rick...

Thanks Jerry! I don't get to practice my welding skills (<such a strong word) often enough, so this will be a good time to practice up. Plenty of nice long passes to make on this.

Oh, glad to hear someone had good service from AllPro since their move. I did not get such good service from them recently.
On the welding side, I am ready to retire as a certified welder in my Union, Sheet Metal Workers Local 104, in 2 years and can't wait to not have to do it again!! :>)

On the welding side, I am ready to retire as a certified welder in my Union, Sheet Metal Workers Local 104, in 2 years and can't wait to not have to do it again!! :>)

A hobby is a lot more fun than having to do something every day for a living, I found out. One of several reasons why I quit my career as a motorcycle mechanic ages ago.

Best wishes on your impending retirement!

Spent some time welding on the new skids. Added some collars to the trans skid (I don't like the countersunk head bolts provided) and filled in a little ramp on the leading edge. My welds aren't going to win any beauty contest, but I think they will hold.

APskids_2017 (20).JPG
APskids_2017 (23).JPG
APskids_2017 (24).JPG
APskids_2017 (26).JPG

Spent some time welding on the new skids. Added some collars to the trans skid (I don't like the countersunk head bolts provided) and filled in a little ramp on the leading edge. My welds aren't going to win any beauty contest, but I think they will hold.

View attachment 1448048 View attachment 1448049 View attachment 1448050 View attachment 1448051
Quick tip, you need more heat and better edge fusion. Looks from one picture like you have a Miller 250, or 200? Try a flux cored wire like E71T Lincoln 0.045 dual shield ( "Ultra-Core") wire with a 75%/25% (Argon,CO2,) gas mix and run about 28 Volts you will love it on 3/16 up to 1 inch thick material. I have an overhead cert in that and it is smooth running and really fuses well, plus it is covered by structural code, solid wire is not . Solid wire is not allowed on a lot of structural work because of no depth of penetration and easily lacks edge fusion. The AWS codes for sheet metal and plate that we use are the D9.1 and D1.1 codes. We need 4 certs to work on a lot of hospital work and industrial construction. You don't need certification for what your doing but you will have nicer and stronger results with the above wire and gas. And you will love using it, the results are so much nicer. Actually that wire is easier to use than solid wire or NR-211 innershield. Hope that tip helps.I can send you a pic or 2 of Ultra-Core wire welds if interested, I don't want to post up here, seems off topic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom