Alarm intermittently going off...not locking the doors fixed it but car got ransacked last night. Would love to lock doors again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1999 Land Cruiser with ~225k miles. Late last year the alarm started going off at 10-11 at night. Not every night but at least every 10-14 days.

I asked the local Toyota dealer to diagnose it and they told me the door sensors are not communicating with the computer so the alarm thinks the doors are locked and open even when they're locked and shut. They quoted something like $3,000 to replace the sensors or a "similar cost" to disable the alarm altogether.

I paid $6,850 for this LC so I'm not interested in replacing door sensors to the tune of $3,000. Instead I pulled the fuse for the horn thinking it would do the trick since the alarm is just the horn honking. Somehow that completely disabled the horn but the alarm still sounded although it sounded muffled almost like it was underwater. I wasn't thrilled about driving around without a horn so I put the fuse back in and just stopped locking the doors. That's solved the alarm going off issue but someone ransacked the car last night right in front of our house. As far as I can tell they made off with my set of tire deflators and a ziplock bag of loose change but it's still frustrating and feels a bit violating.

Plan B is to just remove everything from the LC besides the registration card and continue on without locking the doors but I'd love a Plan A that allows me to lock the doors again. I'm not super handy in general but I have tools and can follow instructions. Hoping there's another work around here! Thanks

Plan C, leave some more loose change in plain view and bait them back in so you can punish them for their actions........I suppose that's not realistic advice..... IDK maybe a motion light or something similar to keep the truck lit up if someone comes nearby? Maybe someone will have a proper fix for the alarm issue.

Pretty sure in techstream you can disable the alarm. I would try that. I'm not quite sure about this on a 99, but on my 07 there are definitely some alarm related options, worth a check nonetheless.

I have a 1999 Land Cruiser with ~225k miles. Late last year the alarm started going off at 10-11 at night. Not every night but at least every 10-14 days.

I asked the local Toyota dealer to diagnose it and they told me the door sensors are not communicating with the computer so the alarm thinks the doors are locked and open even when they're locked and shut. They quoted something like $3,000 to replace the sensors or a "similar cost" to disable the alarm altogether.

I paid $6,850 for this LC so I'm not interested in replacing door sensors to the tune of $3,000. Instead I pulled the fuse for the horn thinking it would do the trick since the alarm is just the horn honking. Somehow that completely disabled the horn but the alarm still sounded although it sounded muffled almost like it was underwater. I wasn't thrilled about driving around without a horn so I put the fuse back in and just stopped locking the doors. That's solved the alarm going off issue but someone ransacked the car last night right in front of our house. As far as I can tell they made off with my set of tire deflators and a ziplock bag of loose change but it's still frustrating and feels a bit violating.

Plan B is to just remove everything from the LC besides the registration card and continue on without locking the doors but I'd love a Plan A that allows me to lock the doors again. I'm not super handy in general but I have tools and can follow instructions. Hoping there's another work around here! Thanks
I have a 98 that the alarm will trigger on its own and lock my doors and go wild. I have new horns in front and are very loud. my issue is related to a short in the wiring. it rarely happens but when it does its startling and loud af. I can't leave the keys on the seat because it will lock randomly. I think the short is in my driver door at the hinge.
Personally I would lock the car and disconnect the horns (or just one) on the grille. you should have a third horn on the fender well that is your chirp horn. check all wiring and replace or at least clean and reattach.

its possible your thieves have deliberately tripped your alarm for that very purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom