Builds AK HJ-75 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are there 4 holes for the steering box on the LH side? Make sure you
weld in inserts so you don’t crush the frame with the steering box bolts.
I only mention this as I believe that steering box structural failure at
attachment point is the cause of the crash in my truck by previous owner.
The steering box was barely attached when I test drove it.

Are there 4 holes for the steering box on the LH side? Make sure you
weld in inserts so you don’t crush the frame with the steering box bolts.
I only mention this as I believe that steering box structural failure at
attachment point is the cause of the crash in my truck by previous owner.
The steering box was barely attached when I test drove it.
Yeah planning on doing that some way.

Are you planning on using the LHD 70 series steering box or an 80/60/105 style box with the forward facing pitman arm?

It would would work just like any 60 series with leaf springs. If coiled front end, it would work just like any 80 series or later, 70 series. The rear facing pitman arm is nice for packaging, gives more room around the front springs/shocks but the 60/80/105/late 70 steering box is more abundant.

It would would work just like any 60 series with leaf springs. If coiled front end, it would work just like any 80 series or later, 70 series. The rear facing pitman arm is nice for packaging, gives more room around the front springs/shocks but the 60/80/105/late 70 steering box is more abundant.
thanks for the info :)

Ok, time to start swapping what needs to be swapped for a rhd to lhd, in no particular order, though moving the steering wheel brace is probably a good place to start. The white brace is the original rhd one, the silver one is the lhd one. There is a sheet metal part behind the upper 4 bolts that needs to be moved to the left and welded back in, time to drill out the spot welds.

FA2F6316-3962-4092-AC75-8FC8F70B7DF3.jpeg

84804021-0BDE-4A2A-BF25-B22BE2E4F97E.jpeg

40D1E621-B096-47AF-8C67-CB9DC42DCC5A.jpeg

Finally got the metal bracket off. Why is there always that one bolt/rivet/spot weld that you missed and you keep fighting to get a part off?🤣🙄 Oh yeah, try not to drill all the way through with the spot weld removal bit🤣

290EE391-D566-4C05-9531-C1AC98B38F97.jpeg

F326EC1A-95E0-4528-8AE5-E0E499BCAA7C.jpeg

BA585606-F978-490A-BCA1-1515F3AC8A34.jpeg

6708987D-67C2-4BE9-8271-FB28DA3CE62F.jpeg

Nice! Nothing like having the time to do that really cool thing you’ve been waiting
for the time to do! I agree, Mr Toyota and his machines really, really liked welding spot
welds. 😡 I’m not sure how you are at welding spots, and since you didn’t ask for
my advice anyways. With my Lincoln 175 Plus I used a .023 wire, fairly low power
and a high wire speed for when I did the rear quarter panel on the BJ74. Something
like power 2-3, wire ~8’/min. Got that sweet buzzing sound.

Here is the debris wall(don’t know what else to call it). I guess I will have to beg someone to remove one for me from a lhd rig. Any volunteers?

View attachment 2260689

View attachment 2260690

View attachment 2260691
Dang it, I need this piece from a lhd too, forget about that.

View attachment 2260718
That debris wall and installation of the surround thing were the only issue on mine when I got it.
We had to fab something up and when it rains really really west coast hard, the water will splash right right up and over that thing. So make sure it’s sealed when you do it.
Honest to god, not lying, they ‘bonded’ that wall on with BONDO! It must have been the last thing they did.
Got a better pic or description of the second thing you need? I can’t tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom