AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 5th Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last year when I had my roof top tent off my rig, I had a 5 day training exercise (I'm an Army reservist) up at Camp San Luis Obispo and had to sleep in my GX. I'm 6'0", almost 6'-1". To sleep stretched out (which I do sleep that way), on all the folded down seats, I had to move the passenger seat up all the way and back fill the gap between the middle seat and front seat so my pillow wouldn't fall through. But it worked! Albeit, kind of uncomfortable because when everything is laid flat, there is still a rise from the middle seat and rear seat of about an inch.
Just my experience...
Sounds about like two of us sleeping in the RAV4 so just might work, thanks!

@suprarx7nut is the 5th gen platform also going to get the new style drawers with the "beauty" faces as well?

@suprarx7nut is the 5th gen platform also going to get the new style drawers with the "beauty" faces as well?

Drawers, yes. They're already updated and shipping actually. Beauty panel yes as well, just haven't gotten around to formalizing CAD and test fitting those.

Drawers, yes. They're already updated and shipping actually. Beauty panel yes as well, just haven't gotten around to formalizing CAD and test fitting those.

Awesome!!! Looking forward to the new panels. Any wing kits coming as well?

Not sure I know what you mean. We have wings developed and complete for the 5th gen. Can you clarify?

I meant the little hinged side doors for that sit next to the drawer faces. Saw those fo the LCs but not the 5th gens on the website or IG.

I meant the little hinged side doors for that sit next to the drawer faces. Saw those fo the LCs but not the 5th gens on the website or IG.
Ah yes, that's a part of the beauty panels and will be present on the 5th gen variety.

Hi Everyone,
We recently had an opportunity to work with a great customer on a full SS1 system offering for a 5th Gen 4Runner. From that, we were able to confirm fitment of the new Beauty Panels for the drawers and the slide-out Extension Table. Everything turned out great, we were happy with the fit all around! We will make a small change to the 'door' of the Beauty Panel to fill in a little more of the gap, but even as-is we thought this turned out pretty well.
Dual Drawer Open .JPG
ext table detail .JPG
Beauty Panel Door open .JPG

sleeper deployed.JPG

Hi Everyone,
We recently had an opportunity to work with a great customer on a full SS1 system offering for a 5th Gen 4Runner. From that, we were able to confirm fitment of the new Beauty Panels for the drawers and the slide-out Extension Table. Everything turned out great, we were happy with the fit all around! We will make a small change to the 'door' of the Beauty Panel to fill in a little more of the gap, but even as-is we thought this turned out pretty well. View attachment 2544159View attachment 2544160View attachment 2544161

View attachment 2544158

Man these look beautiful!!! Great work.

So as we have been selling more and more 4runner systems, we have been receiving a lot of interest in a shorter drawer system Something that would be level with the wheel arches has been what most people are requesting. That would be a few inches shorter than what we currently offer, but think we should be able to accommodate that. What do you guys think, any interest in a shorter system?

So as we have been selling more and more 4runner systems, we have been receiving a lot of interest in a shorter drawer system Something that would be level with the wheel arches has been what most people are requesting. That would be a few inches shorter than what we currently offer, but think we should be able to accommodate that. What do you guys think, any interest in a shorter system?

I replied over there as well but I think a shorter drawer/sleep system that is level with the wheel arches would be ideal. I don't think the 4Runner is as tall as the LC so a 12"+ height drawer system really takes up a lot of head space in the cargo area.

I replied over there as well but I think a shorter drawer/sleep system that is level with the wheel arches would be ideal. I don't think the 4Runner is as tall as the LC so a 12"+ height drawer system really takes up a lot of head space in the cargo area.
Makes sense! So we are working through a few ideas. One concept that comes to mind is trying to take advantage of the existing cubby holes in the wheel arches, and the wings would span the area from the rear hatch to the wheel arch.

Big news everyone, we now have an actual shop! We moved into this space last month and have been able to get everything set up and ready for action!

With the new shop, we are offering full installation services. Save yourself the time of building your own and come by the shop for an install. We have had the great fortune of working with a few customers on installs already. Installation service is about the same cost as shipping, so for a similar amount of money you save the time of assembly. With a system pre-built, we can have it installed quickly making it possible for the shop to become a jumping-off point for your next CO mountain adventure!

We are also going to be able to drastically reduce lead times with the extra inventory storage. the goal for 2021 is to get systems stocked so we can ship/install same day. It's a lofty goal for sure but that's the target.

We'd love to get a system installed for you, come check us out! We are located about 20 mins East of Boulder Colorado, 20 mins North of Denver:

3540 Hwy 52 Suite H8
Frederick CO 80516

20210524_164759.jpg

PXL_20210525_032304117.jpg

20210601_131128.jpg

20210528_091954.jpg

You need to add a link above for your website! ;)

Oopsy, you also need to add a GX460/470 (150/120) pages to your website. There's only 4R's.

Oopsy, you also need to add a GX460/470 (150/120) pages to your website. There's only 4R's.
Well first we'd need to have one of those systems developed!! Coincidentally that's the very next thing on our to-do list. Be looking for a 460/470 specific thread, we'll be seeking some information from GX guys, but want that to be it's own thread.

Reactions: r2m
Looks like some real awesome set ups above. Might be a little bit of a hijack here but if you just need a sleep set up and don't mind unloading a few totes I have gotten the best nights sleep ever camping with my truckairbedz air matress. Never loses air, super comfy, has a bag big enough to get the thing back in it without a engineering degree and fits the 5th gen 4runner like a glove. other bonus is it is powered inflation and deflation..

It might go ontop of your platform set ups well too..

20210527_073928.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Not long before we purchased our iKamper RTT (which we love) we were getting to the point of not wanting to wake up crawling off a ground pad and sleeping bag. I did some research and found the Etekcity inflatable bed. When we were using ground tents, this "bed" would inflate to 22" high! It was great when getting up in the morning being able to actually sit upright out of bed to stand up! As you get a little older, getting off the cold hard ground in the morning is not as easy as it use to be.

But also on that note, and to segue to your comment about not needing air in the middle of the night.
The reason ALL mattresses seem to feel deflated in the morning is NOT because of a slow air leak, although, I'm sure that is the case sometimes.
What is really happening, especially in higher altitudes or colder climates, when one inflates their air mattress, it's usually done in the middle of the day, nice and warm out when setting up camp.
Well, the colder it gets through the night the more air compresses (think inter-coolers for turbos) and the air in your mattress sucking up all the coldness from the ground. By around 4-5:00 am it is just about it's coldest outside, thus all that nice warm air you pumped into your mattress when if felt really firm, is now sagging like a bad facelift. So you go and fill it when it's really cold and by the middle of the day, you risk the possibility of bursting your mattress as the warm air expands.
So when you say your air mattress always stays firm, I have to think that is because you don't have it on the ground where there's a lot more cold thermal contact than in your nice warm vehicle.

But all-in-all, nice setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom