AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 5th Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Air Down Gear Up

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
airdowngearup.com
Hi Everyone,

We have been making a storage/sleeper/drawer solution for the 100 series Landcruiser for two years now and are looking to offer a similar solution for the 5th Gen 4Runner. We were able to get our hands on a brand new 2018 TRD Off-Road 4runner and have been able to develop a 'production level' platform. We are almost complete with the sleeper development, and we're hoping from some feedback in the 4 Runner world!

This system is meant to be lightweight, easy to install/remove and modular so you can start with the storage platform and add sleeper and drawers over time. The system is secured using turnbuckles attached to the d-ring tie-downs in the cargo area and utilizes hinged wings to allow access to the vehicle cubbies. The design has proven to be robust and rattle free, standing up well to the abuse we have subjected it to in the Cruiser. It is made from Baltic Birch, with everything being CNC machined for precision. All the hardware is recessed to prevent snags loading/unloading gear. Platform + sleeper come in about 40 pounds, with install/removal time being less than 5 mins solo. The sleeper sets up in a few seconds, the longest part is walking to both sides of the vehicle to fold the seats!

I've attached a few pics of the system. You'll notice the sleeper is just cheap plywood as we are developing. Once we dial in all the dimensions it will be the same Baltic Birch as the platform itself. What do you guys think?

And the GX version is coming out when...???
Seriously, looks good and am interested to follow your build.

And the GX version is coming out when...???
Seriously, looks good and am interested to follow your build.

We have been getting a fair amount of interest in the GX! Once we get the 4runner up and running, that might be the next vehicle. We would need to track down someone in the Denver area that would allow us to get some measurements and test fits. Eventually, the goal is to have an offering for the GX.

Nice start. Full roll outs below?

We would have basically the same drawer offering that we have on the 100. The drawers would be a little bit smaller but would look/function the same.

Very nice. I dont know if you can take into consideration the few of us that jave the third row hump/ or if it would really even make a difference. Yes, The Runner Needs Storage!

Hi Everyone,
Been a while since we've updated this! We have been able to install a full production system in a customer vehicle and have a few months worth of feedback. We have made a few minor updates along the way and with that have been able to make this work pretty well. I've attached a few pictures of the installed system.

20190709_101711.jpg

20190709_101656.jpg

20190918_173802.jpg

20190918_173709.jpg

20190628_105616.jpg

Very nice. I dont know if you can take into consideration the few of us that jave the third row hump/ or if it would really even make a difference. Yes, The Runner Needs Storage!

We just recently had another customer ask this very question! Based on our evaluation, it would appear the only modification we need to accommodate this is to shorten the legs that are closest to the 2nd row seats. As you mentioned the 3rd row creates a small 'hump', and we would just need to shorten the leg to make this work. This would require a slightly shorter drawer as well, but should be easy to work with.

We just recently had another customer ask this very question! Based on our evaluation, it would appear the only modification we need to accommodate this is to shorten the legs that are closest to the 2nd row seats. As you mentioned the 3rd row creates a small 'hump', and we would just need to shorten the leg to make this work. This would require a slightly shorter drawer as well, but should be easy to work with.

Hello, I have a ‘16 4 runner with a 3rd row and wanted to find out if you were able to successfully made this mod? Thanks for the help!

Just added a new video to our youtube channel. We have a full sleeper and drawer system going out to a 5th gen 4runner customer, so I shot a video providing an overview of all the features.

I like it! It would be nice to remove the 3rd row in the GX, and have this at the correct height so the sleeper piece sits on the 2rd row seats. I like the KISS aspect and would just put bins under the platform in the cargo/3rd row area.

I like it! It would be nice to remove the 3rd row in the GX, and have this at the correct height so the sleeper piece sits on the 2rd row seats. I like the KISS aspect and would just put bins under the platform in the cargo/3rd row area.

We haven't had this system in a GX yet. What height do the 2nd row seats come in at when folded? And yes you can certainly use bins and forgo the drawers! In fact that's how I ran my SS1 for the first 2 years (hadn't developed drawers yet!), which worked well.

Just added a new video to our youtube channel. We have a full sleeper and drawer system going out to a 5th gen 4runner customer, so I shot a video providing an overview of all the features.

What are the dimensions of the compartments and drawer itself? I'm thinking of maybe doing a drawer fridge on one side and a drawer on the otherside.

What are the dimensions of the compartments and drawer itself? I'm thinking of maybe doing a drawer fridge on one side and a drawer on the otherside.

Inner dimensions of the drawer for the 4runner are:
32" long
15.25" wide
9" tall

For the outer dimensions you just add an inch to each measurement.

I still have the 3rd row in for now, but it looks like it's between 9" and 10" on this build. Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

Ok good to know! We currently have the platform height at 13", but we can pretty easily change the height but cutting the uprights to different lengths. We've done a few taller/shorter for the 100 series with good results.

Hi Everyone,

We have been making a storage/sleeper/drawer solution for the 100 series Landcruiser for two years now and are looking to offer a similar solution for the 5th Gen 4Runner. We were able to get our hands on a brand new 2018 TRD Off-Road 4runner and have been able to develop a 'production level' platform. We are almost complete with the sleeper development, and we're hoping from some feedback in the 4 Runner world!

This system is meant to be lightweight, easy to install/remove and modular so you can start with the storage platform and add sleeper and drawers over time. The system is secured using turnbuckles attached to the d-ring tie-downs in the cargo area and utilizes hinged wings to allow access to the vehicle cubbies. The design has proven to be robust and rattle free, standing up well to the abuse we have subjected it to in the Cruiser. It is made from Baltic Birch, with everything being CNC machined for precision. All the hardware is recessed to prevent snags loading/unloading gear. Platform + sleeper come in about 40 pounds, with install/removal time being less than 5 mins solo. The sleeper sets up in a few seconds, the longest part is walking to both sides of the vehicle to fold the seats!

I've attached a few pics of the system. You'll notice the sleeper is just cheap plywood as we are developing. Once we dial in all the dimensions it will be the same Baltic Birch as the platform itself. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1956294
View attachment 1956295
View attachment 1956296
So would a 6'+ person be able to stretch out? Thanks

Hi, I'm @Kyle Bell 's business partner and co-owner of Air Down Gear Up. I can jump in and answer.

You'd have 66" of sleeper length. More if you lay diagonal. There's some additional space between the sleeper and front seat backs if you move the seats forward so you can add some length to the usable area pending how much re-configuring you want to do when you arrive at camp.

Most people don't sleep fully extended, so I think that length works for most folks, but it is ultimately limited by the vehicle. There's only so much space between the hatch and front seats.

Last year when I had my roof top tent off my rig, I had a 5 day training exercise (I'm an Army reservist) up at Camp San Luis Obispo and had to sleep in my GX. I'm 6'0", almost 6'-1". To sleep stretched out (which I do sleep that way), on all the folded down seats, I had to move the passenger seat up all the way and back fill the gap between the middle seat and front seat so my pillow wouldn't fall through. But it worked! Albeit, kind of uncomfortable because when everything is laid flat, there is still a rise from the middle seat and rear seat of about an inch.
Just my experience...

Hi, I'm @Kyle Bell 's business partner and co-owner of Air Down Gear Up. I can jump in and answer.

You'd have 66" of sleeper length. More if you lay diagonal. There's some additional space between the sleeper and front seat backs if you move the seats forward so you can add some length to the usable area pending how much re-configuring you want to do when you arrive at camp.

Most people don't sleep fully extended, so I think that length works for most folks, but it is ultimately limited by the vehicle. There's only so much space between the hatch and front seats.
Exactly what I thought, currently I have a 100 and a platform I built and it works well, just thinking a gen5 would use a lot less gas and work well for everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom