Air Pump Belt 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions for determining the correct size (or a link to a part number) for replacing a missing belt for a 1978 FJ40 air injection pump. SOR's is out of stock/discontinued.

You can walk into your local NAPA, parts store, and they will hand you the correct belt. Or, call Kurt at @cruiseroutfit if you prefer OEM. OEM is better, but the Gates belts will work for a lesser amount of time.

You can walk into your local NAPA, parts store, and they will hand you the correct belt. Or, call Kurt at @cruiseroutfit if you prefer OEM. OEM is better, but the Gates belts will work for a lesser amount of time.
Kurt is a great tip. Unfortunately, he tells me OEM is no longer available.

What's your thinking? My FJ is running, has been since acquired, without the belt on the pump but seems a bit too much gas fumes. Thought replacing the belt could help with that.

Still have the charcoal canister hooked up and operating? All of the gas tank plumbing, fuel separator and gas cap in and stock?

That would be a more likely cause then the smog pump.

To add, without the belt on the pump the main smog equipment isn't in service. You can remove it all if wanted or keep if it's running good.

Pics of engine?

If it’s raw gas fumes fumes you likely have something wrong with your tank vent system like @bhsdriller says. Trace out your fuel lines from the tank to the carb. If it’s a rich running smell I would go through the FSM tuning procedures. The AI system is pretty much isolated from either of those areas so I can’t see how a disconnected air pump belt would cause a gas smell.

To add, without the belt on the pump the main smog equipment isn't in service. You can remove it all if wanted or keep if it's running good.

Pics of engine?
Appreciate you sharing this. The FJ is out of reach for a short while as I am traveling. No way to send a pic right now. Thank you for the suggestions.

If it’s raw gas fumes fumes you likely have something wrong with your tank vent system like @bhsdriller says. Trace out your fuel lines from the tank to the carb. If it’s a rich running smell I would go through the FSM tuning procedures. The AI system is pretty much isolated from either of those areas so I can’t see how a disconnected air pump belt would cause a gas smell.
May have inadvertently misspoke in my description. Meant a bit too much "exhaust" fume is why I want try to get the pump working and see if that mitigates the issue.

It might help but not a bad idea to baseline your tuning anyway. Get everything with the carb, ignition, valves, and so on all up to spec. The theory on the AI system was to dump fresh O2 into the hot exhaust to complete the burn cycle on uncombusted fuel. I have worked on and driven 40’s both ways. I personally believe that the theoretical benefits are negligible, especially after 42 years of operation. Lots of folks tune desmogged trucks all the time with good results. It would be super easy, however to throw a belt on there and see how she does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom