Air locker troubleshooting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Anyone have guidance or a link for air locker troubleshooting?

I finally got my new to me 80 out on trail and got myself hung on an obstacle where my locked front should have pulled me through.

My friend said the front wasn't turning despite being fully locked according to switches and indicator lights. One front wheel wasn't turning.

I just got the rig this spring. It is a 94 out of colorado, front and rear ARB lockers, installed by Slee (prior owner provided documentation), dual ARB compressor in cab, visual verification of air lines into diffs, factory dial switch integration with dash lights. When I turn the switch the compressor comes on briefly and I hear something happening at the diffs.

In testing on gravel, the driveline binds up like it is locked.

The compressor does not cycle like I've experienced others do when there is an air leak.

I assume that I can verify whether I'm locking by jacking up the front end, locking the diff and rotating a wheel, while verifying that the other wheel on that axle is rotating in the same direction?

Assuming that it isn't locking, how do I troubleshoot for root cause?

Beauty shot of the beast:

IMG_1005.jpeg

(Sliders in garage to be installed next. Spare tire and tow hitch coming off after that.)

First thing to do is verify if the front and rear are actually locking.
You could have a stripped drive flange on one of the front wheels. Under load that wheel would not turn, regardless of the diff being locked or not.
With the engine off, you will easily be able to hear the air solenoids releasing when going from locked to unlocked. If the front locks and releases normally, with a PSSSSST on release, then I would be looking elsewhere in the driveline.

I'll check this out tonight. Thanks.

Did you have the center diff locked? If not locked power may being directed to the rear axle.

Good thinking!

I assumed that the center diff locker when I put it in 4low, but I didn't check. The prior owner did the "Pin 7 mod", so maybe I needed to hit the switch to lock the center diff too?

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Good thinking!

I assumed that the center diff locker when I put it in 4low, but I didn't check. The prior owner did the 7-pin mod, so maybe I needed to hit the switch to lock the center diff too?
And to keep people's heads from exploding, it's "Pin 7 Mod", not "7 pin mod."

I'll correct it. We don't need heads exploding. Sorry.

I wanted to confirm that I am an idiot. The issue was that I didn't push the CDL switch on the dash so the center diff was open. I verified it this morning.

Thanks for the assistance, and the info I need to troubleshoot myself if I have issues in the future.

I wanted to confirm that I am an idiot. The issue was that I didn't push the CDL switch on the dash so the center diff was open. I verified it this morning.

Thanks for the assistance, and the info I need to troubleshoot myself if I have issues in the future.
Don't feel bad. We all do the same thing all the time. I've chased driveline ghosts a few times and then realized i never engaged the CDL. 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom