Air Intake Riser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is their purpose? Is it a necessary part? I royally screwed up and destroyed mine while replacing my manifold gasket. I don't think they are made anymore. Any thoughts on a replacement source? A friend has a couple of 40's which I should be able to grab one off of if need be, but I'd rather leave it off if it is not needed.
Murphy strikes again!

The "riser" you speak of is an insulator if I'm understanding this correctly. It has a little metal tube that comes out of it?

How did you, "royally screw it up," and yes you do need it. They are still available and can be had directly from Toyota or another vendor such as SOR.

I could be completely missing the ball here, but if it's the insulator it is replaceable if it's FUBAR'd

It is part number 20 on this diagram. I tried working around it in my attempt to pull the intake/exhaust manifold. My big hands and limited tool selection didn't allow me access, so I decided o remove it. I soaked the nuts multiple times with cleaner to free them up, and everything was fine until the third line from the front. The pipe running from the block to the horizontal pipe twisted and collapsed, as did the next one back.
image-642676354.png

That is your air injection rail. Needed for smog. If you don't need smog where you are you can run 1/4" npt plugs in the head and all is good.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Thank you D. I am not in an emissions testing area but am hesitant to go fully desmogged at this time. I just need to get it back on the road.
If I plug the holes, what options do I have for plugging the hose which ran from it to ? Not sure where it leads yet?

The air injection system pump air into the exhaust either right at the exhaust valves (via the air injection rail, or into the exhaust pipe. This air provides the oxygen needed for the catalytic convertor to do its thing. However, this system does not effect how the engine runs. If you plug the ports on the manifold, you don't really need to plug the hose that ran to the injection rail. Air will just be pumped out of it. The next step would be to either remove the air pump (and replace with a dummy pully, or degut the air pump. Unfortunately, the air pump pulley provides the tension for the v-belt that turns the water pump, so you can not completely eliminate the pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom