Air Conditioning and MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know MPG on an fj40 shouldn't even be discussed... BUT, I'm original owner 78fj40 thinking about AC. Dang, we're getting older and hwy 395 through the Mojave desert is hot in summer. So with AC will I go from 13 MPG highway to 3 mpg????

MPG will probably go up, assuming you currently drive with the windows down. Driving cars with AC on and windows up gets better MPG then with AC off and windows down on highway.

FJ40 and MPG should never be used in the same sentence. I'm surprised someone hasn't kicked in your door and taken away your keys.

Actually, I will be able to let you know shortly. I am to get my newly installed Cool Cruisers A/C charged tomorrow. And unless I mucked things up I will be driving around with the windows up.

I agree,better mpg if you are going at 60+ mph. Lower speeds not so much.

I never drive over 55, no matter the road. They can pass me all they want. Maybe the novelty of ownership hasn't warn off yet, but driving slow just gives me more time in the truck.

Didn't consider the window effect. Yes JAF02014, please let me know. I was was only considering engine changes, just thought pushing a brick was still pushing a brick!

And yes, they pass me too. Back when speed limit was 55, I didn't stand out so much!!!!!

I drive the closed FJ40's daily with AC on and have mounted a larger AC pump on it, because it is here hot the whole year long.

Yes the 13 MPG is changing to around 9 to 10 MPG !!

BTW as you get older your bones chill up already so the heat wouldn't be that bad :p

:cheers:

In town driving (lots of hills here in Austin) with Vintage Air a/c I get exactly 11 mpg with a 2F and 3.70 gearing and 31" tires. On the highway at 70 mph I get 14.7mpg with the a/c on.

14.7 sounds pretty good. My Xterra only got 16 - 17. I bought that toad new in 2004 and gave it to a nephew a month ago. So I am very used to crummy gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom