Air Compressor Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for a compressor. After a run this weekend, I'm done with my itty bitty cig lighter compressor. And I have compressor envy from all the cool noises my friends twin onboard ARB makes.

I'm leaning towards the Viair 300P or 400P. Current prices are $108 vs $159 on Amazon. Is there a compelling reason to go for the 400P for my 33" tires? As I understand it, it's only a wee bit faster, yet it's also bigger to store.
Those are fine as long as you're ok with a 33% duty cycle. Basically it can run for 20 minutes and then needs to sit for 40 mins off. It's fine if you only need to air 4 tires at a time so sorta depends on your needs.

Looking for a compressor. After a run this weekend, I'm done with my itty bitty cig lighter compressor. And I have compressor envy from all the cool noises my friends twin onboard ARB makes.

I'm leaning towards the Viair 300P or 400P. Current prices are $108 vs $159 on Amazon. Is there a compelling reason to go for the 400P for my 33" tires? As I understand it, it's only a wee bit faster, yet it's also bigger to store.

I can vouch for the ARB (both the single and twin) but also always like to suggest folks check out Extreme Outback Air Compressors. Probably overkill but folks who run them love them.

This isn’t your specific question, but just a two cent suggestion to at least consider the powerful ARB twin compressor.

Even though I’m running very large 35’s...I still tend to be fully aired back up by the time most trail pals are still filling their second tire. And that’s despite my tendency to air down lower than most folks.

Not that being done first matter. In fact, it matters most when wheeling as a lone vehicle because it means I’m airing down more often...simply because it's quick, easy, and not a frustrating wait time for passengers.

You’ll definitely spend more on the twin, but in my experience, it really is worth it...and you'll use it more often.

Last edited:
I believe you should get the biggest air compressor you can. Viair might quality but the $60 cigarette lighter version is going to take ages to reinflate a 33" tire from 20 to 40psi. You want a ~30Amp dual pump compressor that hooks up to the battery and can reinflate a tire in 3-4 min, otherwise you'll end up not deflating your tires on moderate trails because it's too time-consuming to reinflate them, especially if theduty cycle only allows for 20 minutes of use.

I have a SuperFlow/Quadratec MV89, which has a 66% duty cycle (max runtime is 40 min) and is as fast as the ARB onboard dual compressor.

Q Industries MV89G 12 Volt Dual Air Compressor

I'm sure Viair makes higher output compressors but the $50-60 ones are only useful in a pinch or with a single flat tire in my experience.

I've got the PUMA compressor which test show is just as fast as dual ARB for about a third the cost. 100% duty cycle. The problem I have with it is that it's big, and once used very hot and has to get packed back in the truck after. I'm considering the splurge on the dual ARB just to not to have to lug it around. Moral of the story: onboard air vs portable air reigns supreme.

I should have a ~1yr old PUMA for sale at some point this year. Puma PD1006 3/4-HP 1.5-Gallon 12-Volt Continuous Duty DC Air Compressor

I've got the PUMA compressor which test show is just as fast as dual ARB for about a third the cost. 100% duty cycle. The problem I have with it is that it's big, and once used very hot and has to get packed back in the truck after. I'm considering the splurge on the dual ARB just to not to have to lug it around. Moral of the story: onboard air vs portable air reigns supreme.

I should have a ~1yr old PUMA for sale at some point this year. Puma PD1006 3/4-HP 1.5-Gallon 12-Volt Continuous Duty DC Air Compressor

I bought my portable because I needed something before the LCDC last year and didn't have time to permanently wire up an ARB. I thought I wanted an onboard air compressor. And I still might opt for one in the future. But as @Markuson pointed out to me when I was refilling my tires after Red Cone, the up side of a portable unit is that you can help others out on a trail, whereas with a permanently mounted unit you can only help someone parked right next to you. Also they're typically a lot cheaper (the Puma you listed not withstanding).

I thought this was interesting and what I used when I did my air compressor research last year.

Tire Inflator Comparison

A-OK with 33% duty cycle. Everything I've had until now is not 100% duty cycle. And at least these compressors will get all 4 33" tires done in a single cycle. Those other higher end pumps are awesome but I prefer it compact and portable.

Ordered a Viair 300P and a tire bleeder/gauge kit. Of course I had a digital gauge on my vehicle, but it ran out of batteries just when I needed it. Analogue for me!!!

Thanks all for the inputs. The 300P will be miles ahead of the cig lighter toy I have now. Pumps that use clips to the batts are just in a different league. Now to sort out an easy way to get at the batt lugs as the LX570 has covers over it.

I bought my portable because I needed something before the LCDC last year and didn't have time to permanently wire up an ARB. I thought I wanted an onboard air compressor. And I still might opt for one in the future. But as @Markuson pointed out to me when I was refilling my tires after Red Cone, the up side of a portable unit is that you can help others out on a trail, whereas with a permanently mounted unit you can only help someone parked right next to you. Also they're typically a lot cheaper (the Puma you listed not withstanding).

Ya, that really is the biggest drawback of the built-in... that you can't run it back to a buddy in a line-up without proximity.

I shouldn't point just to the ARB, by the way. A powerful compressor is just so nice to use quickly, and as @linuxgod said...the biggest you can afford or tolerate with get used more often because it's not a pain... :)

Yup agreed. Bought mine too in tight timing prior to trip, have been able to fill multiple trucks in a row and you're right it's helpful to be mobile at times. That said most of the time you don't have to be in a line and a truck can pull next to you as needed? The PUMA was what I found to be the best entry level constant duty-cycle compressor. Those Extreme Air are awesome. The ARB dual is awesome and agree makes the best sounds haha...

The Puma is $235 on eBay (where a few of us have gotten them), so really not that bad all considering.

How long does it take an ARB dual to fill up 33” tires?

I think @Markuson reinflated from ~18psi to whatever he runs (37psi on 35s?) in about 2-3 min per tire when we came off Red Cone. Going from memory here.

My portable superflow took longer, but I later realized that the hose wasn't screwed on tight. Since tightening it inflation is much faster - it took me about 10-12 min to reinflate from 18 to 38 psi on my 34s later in my trip.

Any 3+CFM compressor will be reasonable for occasional use. I think superflow rates the MV89 at 3.2CFM. Not sure which ARB compressor @Markuson had.

BTW I neglected to mention but while I think the portables are inexpensive and convenient for occasional use, if you plan on installing air lockers, go with the ARB onboard from the start.

My buddy was able to fill my 33s, from 20psi to 43psi in something like 10 minutes. Felt like
it took more time moving the car around and getting the nozzle on each tire stem than filling.

I agree with @linuxgod, anything in the ~3CFM capability range is good, you're not going to feel like you're waiting on the pump... Unless you have 37s and potentially need more speed and duty cycle.

Last edited:
Last summer I still had the single ARB unit. In Moab, Mark would be done airing up and would have enjoyed a chocolate milk while I was still on tire number two.

I've only inflated the tires once with the twin unit and it was noticeably faster... probably twice as fast but that's not too surprising given that the rated CFM is basically double :)

My buddy was able to fill my 33s, from 20psi to 43psi in something like 10 minutes. Felt like it took more time moving the car around and getting the nozzle on each tire stem than filling.
Yeah the connector is key I used to use one where you had to hold it on there. No bueno. Moved to the ones that clip on, whereby you can walk away for a moment if you'd like. Doesn't always work that way but they do seem to keep a connection more reliably and easily. A decent flex hose should reach to all 4 tires from one point at the front/back of the truck. If you want to air the guy in front just pull directly behind and you can get to all 4 of theirs.

Viair 450p here - completely satisfied and the ability to use it in my LC or transfer it to my wife’s truck for inflating tires on the horse trailer is very valuable to me.

Received my Viair 300p. Man these compressors are way bigger than their cigarette lighter brethren. I'm glad I exercised restraint in choosing the smaller 300p (over 400p model).

I was able to fit my previous pump in my non-cold box armrest. Now I'll have to find another place to store this beast so that it stays out of the way. It sure would be nice if there were space underhood for a built in tool-box, but I'm probably wishful thinking.

There isn't really any big open storage bins in the 200-series. But I'll ask anyways if someone has come up with a creative storage location for their compressor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom