Air bags for towing help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I am nearing completion of my trailer, and expect to have a tongue weight of about 150 lbs on thr pintle hitch when towing behind my stock sprung FJ60. In order to keep thingd level, I am considering new springs - but the stock springs are just fine with no sag.

Would a pneumatic load leveling system to supplement the stock suspension provide the extra lift I need when towing?

Mike S

They're cheep enough, as suspension parts go, and you only activate them when you need them. Don't know what your trailer weighs but the tongue weight needs to be 10% of the total trailer weight. Although I've never had much fun towing a trailer with a SWB vehicle.
I had a Peej Cherokee with such a system and an onboard 12v compressor, worked well.
Ed

I expect the total loaded weight to be about 1500 lbs.

The Jeep system was kinda neat. There was a switch that mounted to the frame or body underneath with an actuator rod tha was attached with a link to the rear pumpkin. When in auto mode the compressor would activate and lift it until the "normal" ride height was re established. Also had a manual mode where you could try to see how much you could lift it! About 4" was all I could get before the pressure switch shut it off. It was reliable and I didn't have to go looking for an air source like with plain old air shocks(poorman's positrac)
GL
Ed
Check JC Whitney, they've always got good prices on stuff like that. And what you're talking about is not terribly vehicle specific.

Degnol;

Thanks. I am sure I can rig something neat with a 12V compressor, dash swtich and auto shut-off.

Mike S

Air Lift makes air bags for your vehicle. As far as having in-cab adjustability, I'd keep it simple and just route the air tubes and valves to an accessible area. Less prone to them little bushes or ??? from ripping all of the air line tubing out.... either way it's all good and you'll like them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom