AHC Suspension Conversion (IronMan Foam Cell vs. OldManEmu) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Looking to do a AHC delete on my LX470. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts if they also made the transition. This is the kit I am thinking of getting from IM.

Foam Cell Pro 2" Suspension Kit Suited for Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 - Stage 1 - https://ironman4x4america.com/foam-cell-pro-2-suspension-kit-suited-for-toyota-100-series-land-cruiser-lexus-lx470-stage-1/
  • How does IMFC compare to OME?
    • How both suspension handles everyday drive
  • What are the closest setting on AHC comparable to a IMFC and an OME conversion?
  • Positive and negative experience with IMFC and OME
  • Does anyone miss their AHC after the conversion?
  • Differential drop? Is it optional or a must?
Appreciate the insight!

Last edited:
dont get ome too stiff unless your heavy, i do miss ahc but i couldnt get mine perfect.

Probably every question you ask here will have a TON of different opinions.

I went from AHC to Ironman. I went Ironman instead of OME because there seemed to be quite a few that thought OME was harsh on the 100. I haven't had the OME on a 100, so can't say if I agree. I will say I've liked the Ironman setup. It's definitely firmer than what I was getting from AHC, but I've enjoyed it.

I did the diff drop and SPC upper arms at the same time, wanting to keep everything as close to spec as possible. Mine is a daily so I wanted best street manners possible without wear created by geometry being closer to the limits.

I'm happy with the setup. Unfortunately, I think on a lot of this suspension stuff, you just have to weigh the options, read the opinions, and then go for it with fingers crossed.

I am in the same boat right now, wanting to get rid of AHC instead of dumping 1000's of dollars into it. Plus I don't want AHC failing in some way when I"m 2000 miles away from home. no worries about that with a spring/shock setup

am leaning towards OME springs/Torsion bars and OEM shocks at this point. it seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I am in the same boat right now, wanting to get rid of AHC instead of dumping 1000's of dollars into it. Plus I don't want AHC failing in some way when I"m 2000 miles away from home. no worries about that with a spring/shock setup

am leaning towards OME springs/Torsion bars and OEM shocks at this point. it seems to be the best bang for the buck.
It is i love it!

I didn’t know you could use lifted springs and torsion bars with stock OEM shocks. If this is possible that would be good to know bc I just put new OEM shocks on my rig. A friend has some new rear springs bc he is upgrading to heavier ones so the are free. That would only leave the front to deal with.

I didn’t know you could use lifted springs and torsion bars with stock OEM shocks. If this is possible that would be good to know bc I just put new OEM shocks on my rig. A friend has some new rear springs bc he is upgrading to heavier ones so the are free. That would only leave the front to deal with.

Ya you can the lengths are the same on oem shocks. I currently have oem shocks with ome torsion bars and rear springs. Rides like a cloud.

Probably every question you ask here will have a TON of different opinions.

I went from AHC to Ironman. I went Ironman instead of OME because there seemed to be quite a few that thought OME was harsh on the 100. I haven't had the OME on a 100, so can't say if I agree. I will say I've liked the Ironman setup. It's definitely firmer than what I was getting from AHC, but I've enjoyed it.

I did the diff drop and SPC upper arms at the same time, wanting to keep everything as close to spec as possible. Mine is a daily so I wanted best street manners possible without wear created by geometry being closer to the limits.

I'm happy with the setup. Unfortunately, I think on a lot of this suspension stuff, you just have to weigh the options, read the opinions, and then go for it with fingers crossed.

Have you ever driven the AHC in a different setting if so what does the IronMan compare to?

My AHC was on the way out so I don't know if I ever got a feel for what a fully functioning AHC would be like. Many on here are big fans though. But, I'd guess the Ironman is significantly stiffer than any setting on AHC. If cushy ride is the goal, I'd definitely explore fixing the AHC. I have sliders, but no bumpers, so I expect ride is probably on the stiffer side. But it doesn't seem harsh to me.

A technical question. When people mention a 2 inch lift, how is that measured? I have a LX470 98' which is a LC 100. Looking to get a AHC swap. Wondering if I should do a diff drop. My kit is < 2 inches

The lift is measured from the center of the Axle to the bottom of the fender well.

1615720444129.png

I'm running a Dobinsons IMS suspension with a 2" lift in the front and 3" in the rear to replace AHC. I've read that rake combination gives a good ride. The Dobinsons IMS use an internal floating piston. I learned about Dobonsons IMS from the 4Runner community. I am happy with the ride. It feels like the AHC setting that is between Normal and Sport setting. Note that I'm running metal bumpers, and rock slide. so I am heavier than a stock LX.

1615720529988.png

Last edited:
Are you using a diff drop?
The lift is measured from the center of the Axle to the bottom of the fender well.

View attachment 2613595

I'm running a Dobinsons IMS suspension with a 2" lift in the front and 3" in the rear to replace AHC. I've read that rake combination gives a good ride. The Dobinsons IMS use an internal floating piston. I learned about Dobonsons IMS from the 4Runner community. I am happy with the ride. It feels like AHC the setting that is between Normal and Sport setting. Note that I'm running metal bumpers, and rock slide. so I am heavier than a stock LX.

View attachment 2613596
Are you running a diff drop? Also what year is your LX? LC100?

Are you using a diff drop?

Are you running a diff drop? Also what year is your LX? LC100?

Yes. I'm running a Trail-Tailor drop diff. I think I bought it on sale. 1999 model LX.

Yes. I'm running a Trail-Tailor drop diff. I think I bought it on sale. 1999 model LX.
Thanks! Seems there is a lot of debate over running a diff drop or not. How did you end up deciding. I am planning to get the IM Foam Cells. No more than a 2 inch lift. I am 2 camps here on the diff. Mine is a 98 LX470

Thanks! Seems there is a lot of debate over running a diff drop or not. How did you end up deciding. I am planning to get the IM Foam Cells. No more than a 2 inch lift. I am 2 camps here on the diff. Mine is a 98 LX470

I did a complete front suspension (e.g. everything) replacement with new OEM parts. I knew I would be lifting at least 2" and didn't want to start off with new CV axles not being as close to perfect as possible.

I have the foam cell pros on my LX and they are closest to the stiff setting on stock setup. They are slightly stiffer, but not nearly as rough as the OMEs. I've only ever felt the OMEs on the 80, but they were super stiff in comparison. I like the foam cells for daily driving and they're pretty good for ripping down dirt roads too. I also bought the trail tailor UPCs to get my alignment back in order, but I skipped out on the diff drop. I kinda figured that if Lexus designed the vehicle to function in High mode under stress while off road, the CVs should be able to handle the minor angle difference from a 2 inch lift. And that has been the case for me. I've done some pretty rough bouldery roads and some ugly off-camber kinda stuff on aftermarket CVs in High mode AHC and with the lift, and have not experienced any failure. Not to say that would be the case for everybody, but I just haven't really justified the diff drop yet.

I did a complete front suspension (e.g. everything) replacement with new OEM parts. I knew I would be lifting at least 2" and didn't want to start off with new CV axles not being as close to perfect as possible.
Hahha awesome! Essentially you got the brand new suspension and CV. That’s awesome!

I have the foam cell pros on my LX and they are closest to the stiff setting on stock setup. They are slightly stiffer, but not nearly as rough as the OMEs. I've only ever felt the OMEs on the 80, but they were super stiff in comparison. I like the foam cells for daily driving and they're pretty good for ripping down dirt roads too. I also bought the trail tailor UPCs to get my alignment back in order, but I skipped out on the diff drop. I kinda figured that if Lexus designed the vehicle to function in High mode under stress while off road, the CVs should be able to handle the minor angle difference from a 2 inch lift. And that has been the case for me. I've done some pretty rough bouldery roads and some ugly off-camber kinda stuff on aftermarket CVs in High mode AHC and with the lift, and have not experienced any failure. Not to say that would be the case for everybody, but I just haven't really justified the diff drop yet.
Got it. How many miles have you driven on the new foam cells?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom