AHC Pump Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try wiggling a can of pb blaster up there, shoot it, and let it soak - it will get rid of that junk on the bolt head. Once you can get the 12mm stubby on there, use another wrench on the end to get some leverage. The bolts are on tight.

I may give it one more shot on that tonight. As of now, I am leaning towards cutting it off.

What about unbolting the lower bolts and then using a 24” prybar to work under there and maybe break the bolts loose. Maybe working it back and forth to weaken the metal?

What about unbolting the lower bolts and then using a 24” prybar to work under there and maybe break the bolts loose. Maybe working it back and forth to weaken the metal?

This is on my list of ideas. Unfortunately, when I started last night I did not have said prybar. I might grab one at HD on the way home and give it a shot. Good idea!

Cut the bottom two bolt heads off (or run the sawzall parallel to the frame between the pump and the frame. Then you can bend the pump back and forth (think a paper clip) until the metal weakens and breaks off the top bolt mounts. This option makes the pump useless to anyone else but if it's already trash, there's no harm. Mine was very rusty so this wasn't a terrible option for me. YMMV.

This is on my list of ideas. Unfortunately, when I started last night I did not have said prybar. I might grab one at HD on the way home and give it a shot. Good idea!
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sale a 24” that has got me out of many a jam. I used to top out at 18” and thought that was good enough. When I finally picked up a 24” I was amazed at the difference it made over the 18”.

I'm in the exact same place - sliders waiting to go on...
I used the pry bar method to get the accumulators/globes off. I could get a stubby 12mm wrench up there, but even with pb blaster they didn't budge. The pry bar method was cathardic and satisfying! :)

The pump has been a PITA! The brackets are a bit stronger than the cast metal of the accumulators. I haven't had time to finish it, so everytime l walk by the LX in the garage I bend it up and down once. I should be able to finish it this weekend though.

So +1 for a pry bar. In this case size does matter. :p

Ok ... I'll update everyone after my session tonight.

Step 1 ... Prybar ... Step 2 Sawzall ... Step 3 beer!

And on the second day ... God said ... “Let their be sliders”
2C15494B-5678-4AE3-8B35-AE8A64CCC4F3.jpeg

Ok ... So here is the process for anyone looking to remove the AHC pump.

Step 1: Drink a beer ... It will calm the nerves.
Step 2: Utilize a pry bar/crow bar to pry the pump away from the frame.
Step 3: Get a sawzall with a 12 inch metal blade. Cut the rear bracket (easier to access).
Step 4: Cut the front bracket with the sawzall. I did not need to cut the entire bracket.
Step 5: Remove bracket. May need a little wiggling.

Final Step: Drink more beer. After installing these damn sliders you will be tired. they are heavy AF.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Ok ... So here is the process for anyone looking to remove the AHC pump.

Step 1: Drink a beer ... It will calm the nerves.
Step 2: Utilize a pry bar/crow bar to pry the pump away from the frame.
Step 3: Get a sawzall with a 12 inch metal blade. Cut the rear bracket (easier to access).
Step 4: Cut the front bracket with the sawzall. I did not need to cut the entire bracket.
Step 5: Remove bracket. May need a little wiggling.

Final Step: Drink more beer. After installing these damn sliders you will be tired. they are heavy AF.

Let me know if there are any questions.
Looking good

@Beams37 slider install is a new style workout - ;<)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom