AHC Problems immediately after Dealer Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I added a little more fluid to the reservoir, but in in L and bled maybe 100ml off the control pump accumulator then 100-120ml off each corner. Started it up, then pump was making a super high pitched whining noise and wouldn’t move the car at all. Shut it off, checked the fluid level in the res and it hadn’t gone down at all, odd. Bled another 100ish ml off each corner, opened the valve on the accumulator too but nothing came out😬 Most definitely got some air bubbles that second time coming out in the also very clean fluid. Started the car up, pump wouldn’t kick on at all and the trouble code would pop up on the display almost immediately, whereas before the code would come on after the startup sequence probably 30+ seconds after startup. I’m guessing I’ll have to get one of those scanny tools that lets you manually cycle the pump on now that I’ve seen mentioned, but what should my next move be with that? Isn’t it weird that the fluid level in the reservoir remained high after draining like 800-900ml of fluid, yeah? Especially with the vehicle remaining in L the whole time...

Thinking this over more... Since you've pulled so much fluid out of the suspension system already... If you were able to get the vehicle on jack stands to fully droop all 4 tires, that should in some way make very low or negative pressure on the system, that may help the AHC pump prime again?

Thinking this over more... Since you've pulled so much fluid out of the suspension system already... If you were able to get the vehicle on jack stands to fully droop all 4 tires, that should in some way make very low or negative pressure on the system, that may help the AHC pump prime again?
While this seems logical from a mechanical perspective, I think the sensors and valves would prevent this from working. I think the system has a variety of fail-safes that just shut the valves. Perhaps if you raise the vehicle off the ground and then select "L", it would open a valve and allow air (or fluid) back to the reservoir.

I'm intrigued, but not optimistic.

If my ~$60-70k used vehicle was rendered inoperable by a dealer for 3-4 months I don't think that's an unreasonable place to start negotiations.

At the very least an LX loaner for the duration of the downtime should be on the table. In cases like this the dealer has a wealth of options and pressure from Lexus USA can make an awful lot happen. On the scale from nothing (where OP seems to be now) to a no-cost trade on a new LX, I bet it's possible to land closer to the new LX than nothing.

Or... they could read up on how to prime the AHC pump/system and probably get that existing pump to generate some hydraulic pressure. I doubt the pump is the problem, but if they insist it is, I'd switch over to negotiating how to be made whole promptly.

I don't think that is unreasonable either, however my LX already has Slee Sliders and Dissent front and rear bumpers, along with drawers, Rock Warrior Wheels, Roof rack, ext. I have this thing built up perfectly. That being said its a 2016 with 60k miles, Its a very expensive vehicle and I expect way better costumer service.

I don't think that is unreasonable either, however my LX already has Slee Sliders and Dissent front and rear bumpers, along with drawers, Rock Warrior Wheels, Roof rack, ext. I have this thing built up perfectly. That being said its a 2016 with 60k miles, Its a very expensive vehicle and I expect way better costumer service.
Any update? I'm anxious to hear how this resolves.

Well, I filed a complaint with Lexus but Im not sure if that did anything. I then escalated the issue to a different manager and threatened to sue, and immediately the tune changed! They have been extremely friendly and I do believe tat they are doing everything in their power to remedy the situation. First off they got me a vehicle that can tow, which is great. Second they ended up being able to order the pump needed and the shipment arrives tomorrow. They call me regularly with updates, which is great, and they should get the part and install it asap starting tomorrow. Im hoping that my car is returned soon, but trying not to be too optimistic.

Its a bad situation, but at least now they seem to be actively working hard to take care of it.

Well, I filed a complaint with Lexus but Im not sure if that did anything. I then escalated the issue to a different manager and threatened to sue, and immediately the tune changed! They have been extremely friendly and I do believe tat they are doing everything in their power to remedy the situation. First off they got me a vehicle that can tow, which is great. Second they ended up being able to order the pump needed and the shipment arrives tomorrow. They call me regularly with updates, which is great, and they should get the part and install it asap starting tomorrow. Im hoping that my car is returned soon, but trying not to be too optimistic.

Its a bad situation, but at least now they seem to be actively working hard to take care of it.
It’s a friggin shame it took that to make them do the right thing!

Dealers seldom play the long game...."Live for today, pray for tomorrow" is my experience.

I’m new to the forum. I just bought a 2010 Lexus LX 570 at 60k miles. Decided to take it to Longo Lexus (El Monte, CA) to perform the AHC flush as recommended by FSM. Same issue, failures post flush and after replacement of front struts. Long story short, AHC pump broke and now they’re putting on me to pay approx. $3k for pump and labor in addition to $530 AHC drain and $1500 front struts (parts and labor). More to come. I pushed back and they’re working with corporate on next steps. Beyond frustrated since I initially took the rig for preventative maintenance.

I’m new to the forum. I just bought a 2010 Lexus LX 570 at 60k miles. Decided to take it to Longo Lexus (El Monte, CA) to perform the AHC flush as recommended by FSM. Same issue, failures post flush and after replacement of front struts. Long story short, AHC pump broke and now they’re putting on me to pay approx. $3k for pump and labor in addition to $530 AHC drain and $1500 front struts (parts and labor). More to come. I pushed back and they’re working with corporate on next steps. Beyond frustrated since I initially took the rig for preventative maintenance.
$530 for an AHC flush is insane.

If the pump broke in their care or as a result of their work, it is on them to replace it, free of cost to you.

What was the final outcome & your total cost?

The dealer covered all cost. Replaced the pump and gave me a loaner with a tow hitch. It was a long process but after the initial week or so of frustration, complaining and threatening to sue the dealer went out of their way to fix the problem and make me happy. It was a s***ty situation but the dealer ended up doing the best they could and I give them credit for that.
Also, this is not an uncommon occurrence. I searched and found many people that had similar experiences. In fact there was another thread on here where someone took apart the ahc pump and cleaned some tiny filter and everything worked fine after that. Obviously there is a problem that the dealers and Toyota as a whole do not understand. After a lot of reading I believe that the flush can push debris around and clog the filter. The dealers will not attempt to fix anything they only replace so after they go through their series of diagnostics they just start replacing parts until things work again. There is no reason that a perfectly good pump suddenly quits after a flush, it’s got to be something simple that they are missing.

Hope the best for you and the truck, terrible news.

The dealer covered all cost. Replaced the pump and gave me a loaner with a tow hitch. It was a long process but after the initial week or so of frustration, complaining and threatening to sue the dealer went out of their way to fix the problem and make me happy. It was a s***ty situation but the dealer ended up doing the best they could and I give them credit for that.
Also, this is not an uncommon occurrence. I searched and found many people that had similar experiences. In fact there was another thread on here where someone took apart the ahc pump and cleaned some tiny filter and everything worked fine after that. Obviously there is a problem that the dealers and Toyota as a whole do not understand. After a lot of reading I believe that the flush can push debris around and clog the filter. The dealers will not attempt to fix anything they only replace so after they go through their series of diagnostics they just start replacing parts until things work again. There is no reason that a perfectly good pump suddenly quits after a flush, it’s got to be something simple that they are missing.

Hope the best for you and the truck, terrible news.
Cleaning the filter didn't solve the problem though. His issue came back after some time. There must be something these dealers are doing wrong or something. I've done two flushes and replaced the common rusted line without issues (knock on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom