AGM battery issues and solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TX GX460

Threads
I spend most of my time in the GX/Prado forum, but wanted to point out a few issues I have run into with using AGM batteries in my wife's LC 200 and how we solved them. I also wanted to make everyone aware of a new voltage booster product for the 200 series that was just released and has worked well for me.

I added a dual battery setup to the 200 series several years ago. I used the Cruiser Outfitters Group 31 battery box, the Odyssey Extreme AGM group 31 and 34 batteries for starter and house, respectively, and the Cruiser Outfitters aluminum terminal extensions for the group 31.
20181209_121440.jpg

I purchased a mini blade fuse diode alternator voltage booster from an Australian supplier. Unfortunately, it only boosted the alternator to between 13.5V and 13.8V, with rare increases to 14V. It wasn't optimal, but I made due with little else available at the time.

After a few years, I started having regular but intermittent starting problems, including just after full battery charging. I would often have to connect the house battery to jump the motor. After a few battery replacements and three different shops looking at it, the team at Tandem Automotive in Fort Worth figured out that the metal differences between the extension (aluminum), terminal block (lead), and bolt (steel) had caused significant joint corrosion such that current was unable to get through much of the time. An example of the corrosion is below. Although it could have been lessened by more liberal application of dielectric grease, corrosion would have likely still occurred.
141379.jpeg

The stock battery cables were too short to use without extensions and I did not want this happening again, so I had Tandem do a 0 gauge replacement on the starter, ground and alternator wires (I realzed there are other ways to do an extension but I wanted a robust solution). Tandem also fabricated a custom mount for the ARB compressor and a new fuse/distribution panel. The effect has been noticeable, with a noticeably faster and stronger start and no more starting or charging issues.
142435.jpeg

142397 (1).jpeg

The other thing I wanted to change was the voltage booster. For AGM, I wanted to charge at closer to 14V, and preferably a little over. I also was not too fond of a diode in place of a fuse for the alternator. The best solution I found was by Voltage Booster Pro here in Texas, but unfortunately they did not have anything for LC200s. However, Bryan at VBP was super nice when I reached out to inquire about LC200 solutions and he worked with me to create a solution that worked with my wife's vehicle (he had to modify the design for the Tundra due to a slightly difference in fuse and relay locations). It has a separate, replaceable fuse in line with the diodes, and also has a selectable "low" and "high" booster option, depending on your needs or battery type. It is called the "Spark" model, and Option "A" in the pull-down menu is for the LC200 (Voltage Booster PRO "Spark" (2nd Gen Tundra, 2nd Gen Tacoma, 2nd Gen Sequoia, LX570) - https://voltageboosterpro.com/product/spark/). The cost is a little higher than diode fuse options, but given the better safety and reliability (as well as the cost for having custom circuit boards made) I think the difference makes sense.
20230707_192835.jpg

I am now getting around 14.2-14.3V at startup and 14V at warm idle on the "high" setting (I have not tested the "low" setting). Overall I am much happier with this solution and hope that it will provide me much better charging and longevity for the AGM batteries. I also like supporting a US-based company who does their own engineering work and has great support for enthusiasts.

I hope what I have learned and discovered is helpful to others on the forum.

It's interesting that the diodes can be run in parallel (or series, it isn't clear) and adjust the voltage another step higher. Some home experimentation may follow for me.

The diodes don't increase the voltage, rather decrease it like a resistor.

The diode reduces the alternator sensing voltage making it think it is producing a lower voltage than it actually is, causing its output to increase. I think this is what you meant but wanted to clarify.

I believe the same type of series/parallel calculations apply to diodes as resistors (don't quote me on that though)

This is a crazy hot topic over on the 4Runner forums - We recently bought my son a mildly built 2011 Trail 4Runner that had a Northstar X2 AGM Group 31 installed with a battery minder in the cab. About 2 months of us owning the 4runner, the dash lights randomly would shut of and come back on, there was no obvious pattern to the electric issue. We had the battery and charging system checked, all good. (acted like a bad ground somewhere)

Previous to my LC's, I've owned a few 4Runners so I popped on my old forum. Came across lots of interesting posts/threads about the voltage a 4runner alternator puts out not being enough to keep the AGM batteries topped off. The battery needed either a voltage "boost" or trickle charger every couple months. I've seen a GM diode, the Aussie company's solution listed above, custom HO alternator, and some homemade diode/fuse options that came to possible solutions for the problem. And, Yes, from my extensive reading the trick is to get the alternator to think it needs to increase the voltage therefore providing the necessary charging required for the AGM battery.

I switched his out for a group 27 Costco Interstate and haven't had the same problem in months. It looks like under load the X2 was going bad - it is 5 years old. Should last longer but if it's not getting the correct charge, it will eventually fail.

(forgive me if this seems over simplified, or I'm slightly incorrect, I am NOT an electrical engineer, nor do I play one on TV - but I know how to get electrocuted for sure!)

The Alt-S fuse is not used in 2016+ models, so the diode mod won't work on the newer 200s fwiw.

I have heard great things about Tandem multiple times now and from multiple sources and forums. Good to know that they took care of you.

I have heard great things about Tandem multiple times now and from multiple sources and forums. Good to know that they took care of you.
Tandem is excellent. I have been using them for about 5 years and they are now my go-to Toyota mechanics, even though they are over an hour away from me. Unfortunately their reputation is making them so busy it is difficult to get on the schedule, but the wait is always worth it because their work quality is second to none.

The other thing I wanted to change was the voltage booster. For AGM, I wanted to charge at closer to 14V, and preferably a little over. I also was not too fond of a diode in place of a fuse for the alternator. The best solution I found was by Voltage Booster Pro here in Texas, but unfortunately they did not have anything for LC200s. However, Bryan at VBP was super nice when I reached out to inquire about LC200 solutions and he worked with me to create a solution that worked with my wife's vehicle (he had to modify the design for the Tundra due to a slightly difference in fuse and relay locations). It has a separate, replaceable fuse in line with the diodes, and also has a selectable "low" and "high" booster option, depending on your needs or battery type. It is called the "Spark" model, and Option "A" in the pull-down menu is for the LC200 (Voltage Booster PRO "Spark" (2nd Gen Tundra, 2nd Gen Tacoma, 2nd Gen Sequoia, LX570) - https://voltageboosterpro.com/product/spark/). The cost is a little higher than diode fuse options, but given the better safety and reliability (as well as the cost for having custom circuit boards made) I think the difference makes sense.
View attachment 3371727

I am now getting around 14.2-14.3V at startup and 14V at warm idle on the "high" setting (I have not tested the "low" setting). Overall I am much happier with this solution and hope that it will provide me much better charging and longevity for the AGM batteries. I also like supporting a US-based company who does their own engineering work and has great support for enthusiasts.

I hope what I have learned and discovered is helpful to others on the forum.

Well... I ordered one of the voltage boosters for my 2013 Land Cruiser:

1689632067691.png

It arrived today, but was the Mode B model, not the Mode A model as ordered, and will not fit/work in my LC200.

Voltage Booster Pro have not responded to my e-mail yet (it's only been a few hours) and the only number I found on their website dumps me into a Google mailbox bot which requires me to give them a name of the person I want to talk to - I gave them my name and left a message, then called back and left the name "Voltage Booster Pro" and left a message - but no response to either message yet.

Do you have a contact number for these folks I could use (feel free to PM me if you think it's necessary) to contact them and straighten out my order?

TIA

Well... I ordered one of the voltage boosters for my 2013 Land Cruiser:

View attachment 3376227

It arrived today, but was the Mode B model, not the Mode A model as ordered, and will not fit/work in my LC200.

Voltage Booster Pro have not responded to my e-mail yet (it's only been a few hours) and the only number I found on their website dumps me into a Google mailbox bot which requires me to give them a name of the person I want to talk to - I gave them my name and left a message, then called back and left the name "Voltage Booster Pro" and left a message - but no response to either message yet.

Do you have a contact number for these folks I could use (feel free to PM me if you think it's necessary) to contact them and straighten out my order?

TIA
No I do not have a separate contact number, but they are very good about checking email and I am sure will get back to you reasonably soon.

No I do not have a separate contact number, but they are very good about checking email and I am sure will get back to you reasonably soon.

Thanks for the follow-up. I'll post any further developments.

Thanks. I sent Bryan a separate email with a link to this thread just in case he missed your original email. I am sure he will take good care of you.

Thanks for the follow-up - Bryan has emailed me and advised that a correct replacement part will be on its way to me soon. All good so far.

I'll post up when the correct replacement arrives - along with some test voltage measurements comparing: stock / Austarlian booster / Voltage Booster PRO.

Should be interesting.

Thanks for the follow-up - Bryan has emailed me and advised that a correct replacement part will be on its way to me soon. All good so far.

I'll post up when the correct replacement arrives - along with some test voltage measurements comparing: stock / Austarlian booster / Voltage Booster PRO.

Should be interesting.

The correct part arrived today from VoltageBoosterPro - kudos to Bryan for getting this properly sorted.

Here's my comparison report:

BATTERY:

These are the specs for the battery I have which was installed o/a 25 April, 2016:

NorthStar NSB-AGM27F
Ultra High Performance AGM
1750 Pulse Cranking Amps
930 Cold Cranking Amps @-18 DegC (0 DegF)
1080 Amps CA/MCA Rating @0 DegC (32 DegF)
195 Minutes Reserve Capacity
Required Float Charge Voltage: 13.5 – 13.8V
Required Cycle Service Voltage: 14.4 – 14.8V Maximum @25 DegC (77 DegF)

Note: This battery is no longer available from NorthStar, but is still available from Odyssey as the ODX-AGM27F. Find it here: ODX-AGM27F (odysseybatteries.com)

Note: Battery has been maintained on a CTEK Maintenance Charger for AGM batteries for 6 years, and most recently a NoCo Maintenance Charger for AGM batteries – continuously on maintenance charge while garaged.

Note: HKB (?) Voltage Booster installed o/a 18 October, 2017. The model I have is apparently no longer available, but others (including an adjustable model) are available from HKB – see them here: Toyota - LC 200 (VDJ200R) 2007 to October 2015 | HKB Electronics

TEST SETUP:

Here is a pic of the fuse box where the ALT-S fuse is located:

IMG_2455.JPG

And a picture of the two voltage boosters being tested - VoltageBoosterPro on the left and HKB on the right [Note: the 7.5A fuse on the VBP pictured here was later replaced with the factory 5A fuse]:

IMG_2458.JPG

All tests were performed using a Micronta multimeter and a Midtronics PBT-300 battery and electrical system tester. Here's a picture of the setup:

IMG_2454.JPG

TEST PROTOCOL:

Baseline tests with stock 5A fuse in the ALT-S position and no maintenance charge on the battery for the last 6 days were performed with a multimeter and a Midtronics PBT-300. The purpose of the baseline tests is to determine that the battery is indeed still healthy, and to compare the stock baseline test results with those obtained from the voltage booster tests.

Baseline results:

After the LC200 had sat overnight, all electrical loads OFF, and the engine had not been started in over 24 hours, the battery voltage was measured at the terminals:

Multimeter: 12.94V
PBT-300: 12.84V

[Note: Throughout the testing, the multimeter read consistently about 0.1V higher than the PBT-300. I don't think this has any significant effect on the test results, so I have not pursued a cause any further. All conclusions and comparisons, however, will be drawn using the results from the PBT-300 dedicated testing tool.]

2. Cranking Amps were measured to determine overall health of the battery. The spec for FLA batteries is >9.6V, I could not find a corresponding spec for AGM batteries. The multimeter is not capable of capturing this measurement:

PBT-300: 10.37V

3. I drove for about 15 minutes to get everything warmed up and measured alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 13.59V
PBT-300: 13.49V

4. As per instructions for the PBT-300, I then increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage. Again, the multimeter is not capable of capturing these data:

PBT-300: 13.56V

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to LOW:

I removed the stock 5A fuse and installed the VBP set to LOW. The instructions from VBP say to install the removed 5A fuse in the VBP socket, but I used a 7.5A fuse instead. No reason other than HKB uses 7.5A fuses in their products, and I figured higher voltage couldn't be hurt by a higher rated fuse, right?

Edit: After thinking about it overnight, I realized my impulse to replace the stock 5A fuse with a 7.5A fuse really didn't make any sense. If Toyota decided the voltage sensing circuit for the alternator required a 5A fuse, well, who am I to argue. So I did as Voltage Booster Pro instructions saidd and re-installed the factory 5A fuse.

Here's what it looks like installed in the fuse box [new picture with 5A fuse installed]:

IMG_2465.JPG

Voltage Booster Pro claims the LOW position provides approximately 0.4-0.5V additional voltage over stock and the HIGH position provides approximately 0.8-1.0V additional voltage over stock when performing their recommended tests.

Voltage Booster Pro recommended tests:
  • Take a multimeter Voltage reading at the battery immediately after starting the engine:
  • Install Voltage Booster Pro, start engine and take a multimeter Voltage reading at the battery immediately after starting the engine: LOW: HIGH:
5. Measured VBP - LOW alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 14.03V
PBT-300: 13.95V

6. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-LOW:

PBT-300: 14.00V

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to HIGH:

Measured VBP - HIGH alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 14.42V
PBT-300: 14.33V

8. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-HIGH:

PBT-300: 14.39V

HKB Voltage Booster:

Measured HKB alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 14.10V
PBT-300: 14.01V

10. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the HKB:

PBT-300: 14.38V

Then, just to close the test loop, and to get another read on what I think will be my preferred installation, I re-installed the VBP-HIGH and re-tested.

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to HIGH re-test:

Multimeter: 14.44V
PBT-300: 14.35V

12. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-HIGH:

PBT-300: 14.40V

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Voltagae Boost Pro met their claimed performance gains.

Voltage Boost Pro claim:

Voltage Booster Pro claims the LOW position provides approximately 0.4-0.5V additional voltage over stock and the HIGH position provides approximately 0.8-1.0V additional voltage over stock when performing their recommended tests.

In the LOW position, charging voltage @idle increased from 13.49V to 13.95V (0.46V additional voltage) as measured on the PBT-300
In the HIGH position, charging voltage @idle increased from 13.49V to 14.35V (0.86V additional voltage) as measured on the PBT-300

2. When set to HIGH, VBP meets the Required Cycle Service Voltage for my battery.

VBP-HIGH @2000rpm delivers a charging voltage of 14.40V @95 DegF

Note: AGM batteries should be charged at lower voltages when temperatures are higher. In general, a default temperature correction of -25mV/DegC or -14mV/DegF should be OK for charging all AGM batteries. If you are really curious, there's a lot of good info on this site: WORKSHOPPIST.com What that means for this test, where the ambient temperature was about 95 DegF, a corrected Cycle Service Voltage should be reduced by about 0.25 DegF, so the corrected spec would be:

Required Cycle Service Voltage: 14.15 – 14.55V Maximum @35 DegC (95 DegF)

1689979080398.png

After installing the VoltageBoosterPro set to HIGH in my LC200, charging voltage was boosted to a level sufficient to charge and maintain my AGM battery in a healthy state.

Let me know if I inadvertently screwed anything up.

Special thanks to @TX GX460 for starting me down this rabbit hole, and to Bryan at VoltageBoosterPro.com for getting me squared away with the correct part.

HTH

Last edited:
Quick follow-up:

After driving around for a bit with the Voltage Booster Pro in place, it was reassuring to see the Voltage meter on the dash near perfectly centered:

IMG_2461.JPG

And the Battery Voltage gauge on my OBD Fusion dashboard reads a healthy 14.0 Volts:

IMG_2459.PNG

Life is good.

This is great info. I have a Northstar 27F sitting on a a shelf with a trickle charger waiting for my lead acid to die. I bought the adjustable HKB diode booster for when I put the AGM in.

The correct part arrived today from VoltageBoosterPro - kudos to Bryan for getting this properly sorted.

Here's my comparison report:

BATTERY:

These are the specs for the battery I have which was installed o/a 25 April, 2016:

NorthStar NSB-AGM27F
Ultra High Performance AGM
1750 Pulse Cranking Amps
930 Cold Cranking Amps @-18 DegC (0 DegF)
1080 Amps CA/MCA Rating @0 DegC (32 DegF)
195 Minutes Reserve Capacity
Required Float Charge Voltage: 13.5 – 13.8V

Note: This battery is no longer available from NorthStar, but is still available from Odyssey as the ODX-AGM27F. Find it here: ODX-AGM27F (odysseybatteries.com)

Note: Battery has been maintained on a CTEK Maintenance Charger for AGM batteries for 6 years, and most recently a NoCo Maintenance Charger for AGM batteries – continuously on maintenance charge while garaged.

Note: HKB (?) Voltage Booster installed o/a 18 October, 2017. The model I have is apparently no longer available, but others (including an adjustable model) are available from HKB – see them here: Toyota - LC 200 (VDJ200R) 2007 to October 2015 | HKB Electronics

TEST SETUP:

Here is a pic of the fuse box where the ALT-S fuse is located:

View attachment 3379712

And a picture of the two voltage boosters being tested - VoltageBoosterPro on the left and HKB on the right [Note: the 7.5A fuse on the VBP pictured here was later replaced with the factory 5A fuse]:

View attachment 3379717

All tests were performed using a Micronta multimeter and a Midtronics PBT-300 battery and electrical system tester. Here's a picture of the setup:

View attachment 3379729

TEST PROTOCOL:

Baseline tests with stock 5A fuse in the ALT-S position and no maintenance charge on the battery for the last 6 days were performed with a multimeter and a Midtronics PBT-300. The purpose of the baseline tests is to determine that the battery is indeed still healthy, and to compare the stock baseline test results with those obtained from the voltage booster tests.

Baseline results:

After the LC200 had sat overnight, all electrical loads OFF, and the engine had not been started in over 24 hours, the battery voltage was measured at the terminals:

Multimeter: 12.94V
PBT-300: 12.84V

[Note: Throughout the testing, the multimeter read consistently about 0.1V higher than the PBT-300. I don't think this has any significant effect on the test results, so I have not pursued a cause any further. All conclusions and comparisons, however, will be drawn using the results from the PBT-300 dedicated testing tool.]

2. Cranking Amps were measured to determine overall health of the battery. The spec for FLA batteries is >9.6V, I could not find a corresponding spec for AGM batteries. The multimeter is not capable of capturing this measurement:

PBT-300: 10.37V

3. I drove for about 15 minutes to get everything warmed up and measured alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 13.59V
PBT-300: 13.49V

4. As per instructions for the PBT-300, I then increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage. Again, the multimeter is not capable of capturing these data:

PBT-300: 13.56V

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to LOW:

I removed the stock 5A fuse and installed the VBP set to LOW. The instructions from VBP say to install the removed 5A fuse in the VBP socket, but I used a 7.5A fuse instead. No reason other than HKB uses 7.5A fuses in their products, and I figured higher voltage couldn't be hurt by a higher rated fuse, right?

Edit: After thinking about it overnight, I realized my impulse to replace the stock 5A fuse with a 7.5A fuse really didn't make any sense. If Toyota decided the voltage sensing circuit for the alternator required a 5A fuse, well, who am I to argue. So I did as Voltage Booster Pro instructions saidd and re-installed the factory 5A fuse.

Here's what it looks like installed in the fuse box [new picture with 5A fuse installed]:

View attachment 3380349

Voltage Booster Pro recommended tests:
  • Take a multimeter Voltage reading at the battery immediately after starting the engine:
  • Install Voltage Booster Pro, start engine and take a multimeter Voltage reading at the battery immediately after starting the engine: LOW: HIGH:
5. Measured VBP - LOW alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 14.03V
PBT-300: 13.95V

6. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-LOW:

PBT-300: 14.00V

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to HIGH:

Multimeter: 14.42V
PBT-300: 14.33V

8. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-HIGH:

PBT-300: 14.39V

HKB Voltage Booster:

Measured HKB alternator output @idle:

Multimeter: 14.10V
PBT-300: 14.01V

10. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the HKB:

PBT-300: 14.38V

Then, just to close the test loop, and to get another read on what I think will be my preferred installation, I re-installed the VBP-HIGH and re-tested.

Voltage Booster Pro (VBP) set to HIGH re-test:

Multimeter: 14.44V
PBT-300: 14.35V

12. Increased engine rpm to approximately 2,000rpm for 15 seconds and measured the highest average charging voltage for the VBP-HIGH:

PBT-300: 14.40V

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Voltagae Boost Pro met their claimed performance gains.

Voltage Boost Pro claim:

In the LOW position, charging voltage @idle increased from 13.49V to 13.95V (0.46V additional voltage) as measured on the PBT-300
In the HIGH position, charging voltage @idle increased from 13.49V to 14.35V (0.86V additional voltage) as measured on the PBT-300

2. When set to HIGH, VBP meets the Required Cycle Service Voltage for my battery.

VBP-HIGH @2000rpm delivers a charging voltage of 14.40V @95 DegF

Note: AGM batteries should be charged at lower voltages when temperatures are higher. In general, a default temperature correction of -25mV/DegC or -14mV/DegF should be OK for charging all AGM batteries. If you are really curious, there's a lot of good info on this site: WORKSHOPPIST.com What that means for this test, where the ambient temperature was about 95 DegF, a corrected Cycle Service Voltage should be reduced by about 0.25 DegF, so the corrected spec would be:

Required Cycle Service Voltage: 14.15 – 14.55V Maximum @35 DegC (95 DegF)

View attachment 3379834

After installing the VoltageBoosterPro set to HIGH in my LC200, charging voltage was boosted to a level sufficient to charge and maintain my AGM battery in a healthy state.

Let me know if I inadvertently screwed anything up.

Special thanks to @TX GX460 for starting me down this rabbit hole, and to Bryan at VoltageBoosterPro.com for getting me squared away with the correct part.

HTH

Final note (I hope):

Please note the latest revision I made to my post above where I decided to use the stock 5A fuse in the Voltage Booster Pro unit (per the instructions included with the unit), as my impulse to throw in a higher rated 7.5A fuse - upon reflection - just didn't make any sense.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom