Aftermarket front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I've been looking to purchase an aftermarket front bumper for my bone stock '92 fj80, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Dobinson Classic or the Ironman 4x4 Classic. I will be mounting a winch at some point in the not too distant future and I was just wondering what folks' thoughts were in regards to these two bumpers. I was also wondering if I might be overlooking something that maybe these two bumpers don't offer, and maybe I should be looking at something else. Thoughts?? I will also be adding a 2-2.5" suspension lift in the near future as well.

Those are two companies I know we’ll, but I rarely see anyone run their bumpers. Not sure why though.

4x4Labs, Slee, and ARB are bumpers many owners install.

The 4X4Labs has one of the best approach angles available and is very durable with a minimalism look. It is available in a DIY kit and offer periodic sales on MUD.

The Slee Offroad Short Bus is a proven design that is strong in a popular design. The Short Bus also had good approach angle.

The ARB has a classic design similar to the Ironman bumper in look with the full bull bar and available fog lights.

I’m running a Dissent Offroad bumper with LED position lights and side facing “ditch” lights. It’s a modular design, which allows the owner to replace sections that get damaged. It is available with a full bull bar, short stinger, long stinger, or just the bumper alone.

BE5E15D5-506F-449D-8474-0DF150C94FAF.jpeg

4DFD0EA2-57F8-4066-90F2-38DEDD269345.png

Last edited:
Lots of great options. You listed teo good ones.

TJM T-17 winch bumper
Slee blueberry with winch
ARB which us similar to the ironman.

Those are two companies I know we’ll, but I rarely see anyone run their bumpers. Not sure why though.

The 4X4Labs has one of the best approach angles available and is very durable with a minimalism look. It is available in a DIY kit and offer periodic sales on MUD.

The Slee Offroad Short Bus is a proven design that is strong in a popular design.

The ARB has a classic design similar to the Ironman bumper in look with the full bull bar and available fog lights.

I’m running a Dissent Offroad bumper with LED position lights and side facing “ditch” lights. It’s a modular design, which allows the owner to replace sections that get damaged.

View attachment 3283858

View attachment 3283859
That is a good looking rig with quality parts.

Hello all, I've been looking to purchase an aftermarket front bumper for my bone stock '92 fj80, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Dobinson Classic or the Ironman 4x4 Classic. I will be mounting a winch at some point in the not too distant future and I was just wondering what folks' thoughts were in regards to these two bumpers. I was also wondering if I might be overlooking something that maybe these two bumpers don't offer, and maybe I should be looking at something else. Thoughts?? I will also be adding a 2-2.5" suspension lift in the near future as well.
Dobinsons, Ironman and ARB are all very similar in design, weight, features, and looks. They're good options for a full frontal bumper.

You could look at one of the other options if you need more front end clearance, but being in Alaska, the full frontal bumper would be the best bet. It may come down to price and shipping options for you!!

The Slee Offroad Short Bus is a proven design that is strong in a popular design. The Short Bus also had good approach angle.

I’m running a Dissent Offroad bumper with LED position lights and side facing “ditch” lights. It’s a modular design, which allows the owner to replace sections that get damaged. It is available with a full bull bar, short stinger, long stinger, or just the bumper alone.

View attachment 3283858

View attachment 3283859
Love the Dissent, is that the powdercoat color from Dissent or did you get it done that color?

I'm running the Ironman. I bought it because at the time it was the only bumper with lights. Now there are several options. The bumper is well built. I especially like the rubber "bumpers" that allow you to push vehicles if you need to.

I'm running the Ironman. I bought it because at the time it was the only bumper with lights. Now there are several options. The bumper is well built. I especially like the rubber "bumpers" that allow you to push vehicles if you need to.
any idea if the rubber bumpers removable?

Love the Dissent, is that the powdercoat color from Dissent or did you get it done that color?
Dissent offers a variety of powder coating colors, which they apply in house. I was able to choose a gray that closely matched the LX450 side cladding.

Have you thought of "rolling your own"?

I'm currently leaning towards the ARB right now because of availability (being able to get it shipped to my location), price point, and it seems to check all the boxes. Thoughts?

I'm currently leaning towards the ARB right now because of availability (being able to get it shipped to my location), price point, and it seems to check all the boxes. Thoughts?
Can't go wrong with ARB. Shipping wasn't bad for mine either. I think it was 4WP from California.

ARB all the way for me. I like the added bar that runs under the headlight. Seems like it would add quite a bit of strength to the light protection. In Tennessee we have a lot of deer so the protection is worth it. Dobinsons classic also has that bar but Ironman doesn’t have that extra tube.

Keep in mind it’s not a rock crawling bumper. Clearance isn’t as good as Slee and the others, and the wings can bend easier, but it’s the best animal strike protection.

Last edited:
ARB all the way for me. I like the added bar that runs under the headlight. Seems like it would add quite a bit of strength to the light protection. In Tennessee we have a lot of deer so the protection is worth it. Dobinsons classic also has that bar but Ironman doesn’t have that extra tube.

Keep in mind it’s not a rock crawling bumper. Clearance isn’t as good as Slee and the others, and the wings can bend easier, but it’s the best animal strike protection.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing when I was doing my comparisons. I actually liked the Delta with the full grille guard the best, but it was WAY out of my price range. Regarding protection against animals, we only have moose around here, and I don't think any of them will stand up to a 1600 lb moose at 60mph.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom