Aftermarket Fairing on FrontRunner Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Revamping this older thread. For those that have installed the Front Runner Wind Fairing, what do you think? I've got pretty bad wind noise on my Slimline rack to the point I can't open the sunroof over 40 MPH. Wondering if this FR Wind Fairing makes higher speed noise tolerable.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/wind-fairing-1165mm-1255mm.html
It does, but it’s not silent. Well, neither was the factory rack.

It does make opening the sunroof while driving at anything over 10 mph much, much more enjoyable. I mean, it almost completely kills air being pushed down onto your head while driving, and that in itself was great Would I do it again? Yes. Will it sounds like a factory rack? In my opinion, a bit louder.

It did make a big difference. Not perfect but much better.

I agree with the comment above that it should be the standard offering.

Timely update on this thread as I was looking for an improvement over the standard fairing. For those who purchased, did you by the 1255 width? Is that spot-on or would you suggest a different width fairing?

I just installed the 1255 wide fairing on my 200 rack. It’s a noticeable difference but there is still a decent amount of wind noise. Overall, much better and happy with it. Above 40 mph is still a little more noise than I’d like but I’m ok with it.

Timely update on this thread as I was looking for an improvement over the standard fairing. For those who purchased, did you by the 1255 width? Is that spot-on or would you suggest a different width fairing?
Major improvement. First test drive with ski box was noticeably quieter. Haven’t driven without the ski box, that obviously creates a ton of drag and noise itself, but overall this was a great upgrade.

And yep, as others have said, this should be the stock fairing that comes with the FR SL2. (Don’t mind the muck from I-70 ski traffic)

CA5AD536-E8FD-409F-9757-062140886C76.jpeg

C5E4C6DB-568A-4C74-8807-1F9B75044EF9.jpeg

ECE9432D-CECB-459D-8084-FEAA304F73DC.jpeg

Major improvement. First test drive with ski box was noticeably quieter. Haven’t driven without the ski box, that obviously creates a ton of drag and noise itself, but overall this was a great upgrade.

And yep, as others have said, this should be the stock fairing that comes with the FR SL2. (Don’t mind the muck from I-70 ski traffic)

View attachment 2213189

View attachment 2213190

View attachment 2213191
Looks great. Does the fairing sit on the sunroof glass (if you have a sunroof)? I spoke to FR and they said it may sit on the glass which seems like another poor design. I have about 4" of glass exposed in front of the FR rack so the fairing would have to reach out pretty far forward of the rack to not make contact with the sunroof from what I can tell. thanks

Looks great Kevin. Keep an eye on all the nuts. Mine loosened after the first 500 miles, but once cranked down again they are staying tight.

Looks great. Does the fairing sit on the sunroof glass (if you have a sunroof)? I spoke to FR and they said it may sit on the glass which seems like another poor design. I have about 4" of glass exposed in front of the FR rack so the fairing would have to reach out pretty far forward of the rack to not make contact with the sunroof from what I can tell. thanks
Here’s a photo showing the outward angle of the fairing relative to the glass of the sunroof - fairing makes contact with the roof about 2 1/2 inches forward of the glass and seal.

I suppose there might be some ability to slide the entire rack forward or backward but then you need to monitor the position of the rear shark fin antenna so it doesn’t contact the cross bars.

pay no attention to the dirt

923B014C-4320-4E62-AA2E-DBE5998359E9.jpeg

looks like it should have been a few inches wider so it went gutter to gutter.
To be honest, I wondered myself. I think they offer wider fairings? But they suggest this for the 200 S2 setup and others had installed this width so I simply followed the crowd.

Maybe the gap is this wide to avoid whistling? Plus it still allows you to bolt up accessories and reach the t-slots in those forward corners - perhaps that is by design?

fwiw about 4” between rubber seal and gutter or about 3” between fairing itself and the gutter.

68CE63C9-0DCD-4014-BDD1-5CB638589411.jpeg

Last edited:
I started with the wider faring thinking I wanted it to cover the entire race front. Too wide according to FR. I now have the same width as you are showing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom