Aftermarket coolant temp sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where are you guys ordering the aftermarket coolant temp sensors that are in stalled inline with the upper radiator hose? Search only came up with stock replacements. My gauge isn’t very accurate like most, and with it being 118 here today, I’d like to have a more accurate reading than the factory gauge.

For the actual sensor, I've had bad luck using aftermarket Temp sensors. None of them were calibrated to the gauge. They worked but the needle on the gauge was in a very different position.

For the actual sensor, I've had bad luck using aftermarket Temp sensors. None of them were calibrated to the gauge. They worked but the needle on the gauge was in a very different position.
I was planning on using an aftermarket gauge as well. I don’t trust the factory one at all. So hopefully I can buy a kit that has all of it.

Check out Autometer's website.
I was thinking of installing another Temp sensor in the radiator inlet hose with independent gauge but never got around to do it.
If I did it, my choice was to get a mechanical Temp sender with its dedicated gauge. Autometer has them - and the hose fitting

All the gauges (good ones) come with a sensor.

If you use a mechanical gauge, it's a single, sealed unit with a capillary tube that you'll have to feed through the firewall from the inside. That's what I have. IIRC, it's a 3/8" NPT. Also, be aware, almost all the upper rad hose adapters are too long for the FJ60 and push the hose against the PS Reservoir. I found a 38mm adapter on ebay with a 3/8" NPT but I can't find them now.

YOu'll have to use one of these with a 3/8" port. Usually they're 1/8" for electrical gauge, which is easier to install and still a big improvement over the stock gauge. If you wan't a mechanical gauge, you'll have to tap the hole to accommodate the mechanical sender.

Redarc in Australia do some really nice gauges. I’ve got no affiliation with them, just like the way they build things
That’s my EGT, Boost and coolant sensor gauge. It’s a remote head so all the brains and weight is under the dash.
They do a lot of different combinations.
The gauges come with sensors plus they have optional ones

D4FA2099-545E-404F-8DFA-9D5F35F5B5D7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom