Aftermarket Antenna Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that one. The only problem I see is how would you secure it to the cruiser. Look at this one which is similar to the one I used; AW-UT10. At the bottom it has hardware like anchor bolts that will hold the new antenna in place. I used the old plastic bottom of the old antenna because it is contoured to the shape of the cruiser. Come to think of it, that could work if you find a toggle bolt anchor to screw to the bottom and hold the antenna in place.

B274BEE4-5BA1-4393-B436-CF0D7BE8EC49.jpeg

Not that one. The only problem I see is how would you secure it to the cruiser. Look at this one which is similar to the one I used; AW-UT10. At the bottom it has hardware like anchor bolts that will hold the new antenna in place. I used the old plastic bottom of the old antenna because it is contoured to the shape of the cruiser. Come to think of it, that could work if you find a toggle bolt anchor to screw to the bottom and hold the antenna in place.

Even after doing daily study sessions on mud and elsewhere for me this hobby is a constant learning curve

If you don't like it, or if your factory power antenna is dead, why reinvent the wheel, why not just go with a Factory Toyota Land Cruiser manual antenna that's a direct fit for your truck?
86300-60030
Genuine Toyota

Antenna With Holder
Antenna with holder (manual, non-powered) for 80-series vehicles.

$50.91

I went with an aftermarket because it was $40 bucks cheaper, I still needed to fish the coaxial cable to install and I don’t have to bother manually manipulating it. The flexible one is there flexing whether you need it or not . Just being cheap so I can afford a CDL switch !! (Ok ok, a hazard switch from a Rav 4 pulled from a junk yard!). So I can afford a new motor for the door locks !! (Ok ok so I can buy 20 motors from eBay for $10 and just epoxy the worm gear onto them and voila!)

I went with an aftermarket because it was $40 bucks cheaper, I still needed to fish the coaxial cable to install and I don’t have to bother manually manipulating it. The flexible one is there flexing whether you need it or not . Just being cheap so I can afford a CDL switch !! (Ok ok, a hazard switch from a Rav 4 pulled from a junk yard!). So I can afford a new motor for the door locks !! (Ok ok so I can buy 20 motors from eBay for $10 and just epoxy the worm gear onto them and voila!)

I like your 10 dollar solution. Does it have good reception?

If you don't like it, or if your factory power antenna is dead, why reinvent the wheel, why not just go with a Factory Toyota Land Cruiser manual antenna that's a direct fit for your truck?
86300-60030
Genuine Toyota

Antenna With Holder
Antenna with holder (manual, non-powered) for 80-series vehicles.

$50.91

This was discussed before and it's because people tend to forget to lower the antenna and end up breaking it. so an aftermarket bendable option seems like a good idea to some.

That looks pretty sweet! And small so it won’t get damaged ! If mine gets damaged, it will be easy now to replace with this or any other screw on antenna.

old but this seems like the most useful thread. chunking my way through what this truck needs.

any update on this topic?

any more pics? i believe i am looking for
a fixed mast or manual mast. just csn’t see the utility in that pricey motor and the idea of fishing an automatic antenna down there and messing with it seems not ideal.

tempted to go with @Rifleman ’s suggestion of an OEM manual. anyone done this? pics? do i just remove the motor and antenna?

does the addition of s CB require a dedicated antenna?

other options?

i realize it is a simple mechanical job but i’d like to do it once and do it right.

THANKS

Last edited:
View attachment 1855971 I dual purposed my flexible CB antenna.

thanks. so the CB antenna is a tall mast deal that gets mounted on a bumper? and this lets you also run directly to the am fm stereo?

anyone got a plug and play recommendation for a manual or fixed dedicated am fm antenna? pictures and info on install would be great.

THANKS

As I continue to close out all the pages of IH8MUD on my phone I want to offer my second contribution. This site has been great especially for newbies like me. I bought a $10 flexible antennae from autozone. I unplugged cable from back of stereo and tied and taped tightly some para cord to the end of coaxial cable. Opened the glovebox and unclipped the antenna wire that goes from stereo to antennae motor. From under the hood I unscrewed the old antenna motor and slowly pulled it out. I pulled the old coaxial wire from there while pulling he paracord with it. Once out, I then untied the paracord from the old antenna coaxial cable and tied it to the end of the new coaxial cable end that plugs to the stereo and pulled it (fished it) through to connect to the stereo. No need to splice. I used the old small mount to mount the new antenna. I did need cut some plastic off the old mount to fit with new antenna hardware but not too bad. Just my second contribution from a newbie.

@GhostWolverine did this $10 autozone antenna hold up? it’s looking like a great solution at the moment...

Actually yes! It has held up very well. I forgot to mention in my post that in order to lock the antenna in place, I used a conduit lock nut. The location of the antenna on the 80 made it hard at least for me to tighten the antenna in place. I used the conduit lock nut under to help brace against the body and lock the antenna in place. Hope that helps !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom