1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket amp with stock head unit

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

I know this subject has gotten worn out but i am posting this b/c of what a friend showed me. This kid at my high school has a 91 cruiser(1st east coast 80 ever....what he says) anyways i noticed he has the stock head unit but also was running a small 10 inch sub in the back with an amp. he showed me how he did it. He said at radio shack an "RCA filter" and connected it to the rear drivers side speakers somehow and it seemed to work out. has anyone seen or heard of this being done. thanks

2. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Sure, it'll work. But you are are taking a low-level signal (source), amplifying the signal to go to the rear speakers, then using the converter to make it low-level again, and then once again, amplifying the signal to go to your subwoofer. Not optimal but it'll work.

3. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

its just a line converter. you can buy them at any auto store checker, autozone what u do is connect the left specker to one wire ont he converter and the right specker on the other wire of the box and this converts this signol to RCA signol then all u have to do is run an RCA cable to an amp and hook the amp to the sub. when the stereo turns on and send a signol to the speckers it will send a signol to the amp as well. i have this set up to run my 450 watt sub with the factory head unit.

4. Junk

Junk

If you're looking for a spare amp, I have one I'm about to put up in the for sale section.

Pretty straight foward with the tips above.

5. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

junk. Got any pics or info on the spare amp. it isnt a stocker amp is it?