After market crossbars/ rack - Yakima, Thule, or other? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wah00

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I have a 100 series (2006) coming to me this week, and am doing some pre-planning on accessorizing. One project is that I think I would like to add a couple of aftermarket crossbars to the factory rack system - ones that sit slightly above the normal height but use the existing factory rails.

I want them for two reasons: 1) hauling, mostly a fishing kayak (80 lbs, 12~ ft), but also a full size canoe for short distance; 2) cosmetics - I admit, I think it will add to the look with MT shoes on it.

Does anyone have experience and comments regarding the various Yakima and Thule options? Are there other makers that I need to consider? I appreciate that the ones I mention are going to be pricey, but I expect them to be solid and lasting. Wondering about durability, road noise, ease of use with factory rails, what you wish you had thought of when you were shopping. Also, if I am moron and am not thinking through something, I never mind being told that.

I don't want an entire rack on top (yet). Thanks in advance for any comments - I tried the search feature and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I can’t share a pic, as I have not built mine yet. You could consider ditching the factory rack and and installing crossbars on some aftermarket feet. I have the trail tailor low profile mounts, and I believe gamiviti offers them as well.

I am running a sherpa equipment co rack base system on my 100. It’s just three 8020 sections with mounts snd their tie down end caps.

7BFA8E67-94B1-4F6C-BEC9-9CC12D7EA554.jpeg

I use three Eezi-Awn K-9 load bars on Rhino Rack feet with 5mm spacers.

Had to use ARB awning brackets because the Eezi-Awn ones were out of stock at the time. Mounted it a tad high for my taste but works perfectly. I have the Eezi-Awn awning mounts on the way now and they put the awn ing on the end of the load bar.

850E89EC-90E6-4E6D-B2B2-E00C1131CA00.jpg

@Wah00

I'm a Yakima guy all the way. I've been using Yakima stuff for almost fifteen years on almost every car I've owned. I have very little personal experience with Thule products, but my friends who use it seem to like it just fine. I chose Yakima all those years ago primarily because their stuff is a little cheaper than Thule and I was in high school and very, very broke. The other thing about Thule is that it's Swedish and you can... kinda tell. I don't know how to describe it, but if you compare them side-by-side, I think you'll see what I mean. That's not a criticism of Thule, it's just designed differently. As far as quality goes, I can't recall ever having an issue with my Yakima stuff breaking or just not holding up. It's durable stuff and will have no problem handling kayaks/canoes. I mostly use my Yakima racks for carrying bikes, but for a while I had a RTT (~100 lbs) up there and it didn't mind that at all.

On my 2006 100 (pictured below) I had the TimberLine Towers with the CoreBars. Install is simple, it pretty much just slaps right on once you get everything centered and lined up the way you want it. If I recall, the whole base rack system (towers, bars, and a four-pack of lock cores) was a little over $500. You'll have to add to that the cost of the kayak/canoe specific mounts if you choose to go that route.

When I get around to it, I'm going to install the same system on my current '07 LC. Yakima recommends the 60" bars, but I'm going to go with the 70" bars this time. The extra length gives you the option to add more stuff up there if that might come in handy for you (e.g. a cargo box and two bikes would easily fit).

Don't worry about wind noise, especially if you're going to be running MTs on that puppy lol.

tempImagen4q3s5.png
1A904A93-508E-49E4-B4A0-941DF77B3919_1_201_a.jpeg
27F8EC87-D6CC-4D3E-AF7E-83546FAD1E30.jpeg
229EA64B-5019-4C28-B3E4-565D7C4E205A.jpeg

@Wah00

I'm a Yakima guy all the way. I've been using Yakima stuff for almost fifteen years on almost every car I've owned. I have very little personal experience with Thule products, but my friends who use it seem to like it just fine. I chose Yakima all those years ago primarily because their stuff is a little cheaper than Thule and I was in high school and very, very broke. The other thing about Thule is that it's Swedish and you can... kinda tell. I don't know how to describe it, but if you compare them side-by-side, I think you'll see what I mean. That's not a criticism of Thule, it's just designed differently. As far as quality goes, I can't recall ever having an issue with my Yakima stuff breaking or just not holding up. It's durable stuff and will have no problem handling kayaks/canoes. I mostly use my Yakima racks for carrying bikes, but for a while I had a RTT (~100 lbs) up there and it didn't mind that at all.

On my 2006 100 (pictured below) I had the TimberLine Towers with the CoreBars. Install is simple, it pretty much just slaps right on once you get everything centered and lined up the way you want it. If I recall, the whole base rack system (towers, bars, and a four-pack of lock cores) was a little over $500. You'll have to add to that the cost of the kayak/canoe specific mounts if you choose to go that route.

When I get around to it, I'm going to install the same system on my current '07 LC. Yakima recommends the 60" bars, but I'm going to go with the 70" bars this time. The extra length gives you the option to add more stuff up there if that might come in handy for you (e.g. a cargo box and two bikes would easily fit).

Don't worry about wind noise, especially if you're going to be running MTs on that puppy lol.

-------------
Thanks, exactly the sorts of things I was thinking about. Very helpful - especially the photos. Your LC looks great to me, BTW.

8020 Crossbars work very well with the stock side rails.

I have hauled a couple of Yaks with these crossbars along with snow skis and even an ARB RTT without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom