Advice on Hauling Kayaks and Bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to use the 100 to haul 4 kayaks and 4 bikes. I also use a car top carrier to haul all of our camping gear. I was hoping I would be able to find a trailer that would carry all four kayaks and all four bikes together, but I don't think they exist. Does anyone have a slick solution for this that I can't think of?

I just saw on the road the other day a tiny little trailer that had 1 kayak on it being pulled by a car. I remember thinking at the time how silly since they could have just strapped it to the roof. I'll see if I can find something online that looks like it.

Edit - Here it is.

Edit edit - 4 kayak model.

Edit edit edit - Totally missed you were looking for it to carry bikes too. :bang:

Last edited:
Jetski or small boat trailer and some 3/4 pipe with thick shrink wrap for cross bars.

I've got a tiny easyline 150 trailer I was going to use for a very similar same purpose/2 canoes and 4 bikes.

The plan was to build a rack about 5' high/6' wide for the canoes.
On the front and rear of the rack, under the canoes, would arms for 2 bikes each similar car trunk bike racks.

I got as far as extending the trailer's tongue with 2x3 square tube to accommodate the 16' canoes. I'll learn to weld someday. :)

Last edited:
Kuat NV 2.0, 1up, and all the other big names make bike trays that can carry 4 bikes but with 4 kayaks too I think your only option is a trailer.

I’d look at adding crossbars/mounts L Track tie downs to a standard trailer so at least you can use it for other stuff rather than a dedicated trailer.

the only other option is maybe squeeze 2 bikes on a tray up front if a hitch on the front of a 100 is even doable and squeeze 2 bikes on top with wide cross bars with the carrier. Then again you’re back at a trailer cuz kayaks.

Last edited:
What about bolting one of those 4 bike trailer hitch carriers to the tongue of the a kayak trailer? Find the trailer with the longest tongue or one where the tongue bolts to the trailer section and replace it with a longer piece of 2x2 tube and the ball hitch.

Found this with a google search, links to pintrest so I can't get the full res image. Looks like a rectangular frame with padding front and rear, strapped down to the kayaks and then Thule bars attached to the frame for the bikes.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I have a 6x12 enclosed single axle trailer that would easily fit that much gear... it’s easy to lock up, has a ramp and side door, etc. It’s also great to store that stuff when not in use

What about bolting one of those 4 bike trailer hitch carriers to the tongue of the a kayak trailer? Find the trailer with the longest tongue or one where the tongue bolts to the trailer section and replace it with a longer piece of 2x2 tube and the ball hitch.

Found this with a google search, links to pintrest so I can't get the full res image. Looks like a rectangular frame with padding front and rear, strapped down to the kayaks and then Thule bars attached to the frame for the bikes.

View attachment 2334898

This is what I was thinking of. Just might have to build one like this.

I have a 6x12 enclosed single axle trailer that would easily fit that much gear... it’s easy to lock up, has a ramp and side door, etc. It’s also great to store that stuff when not in use

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be long enough. The kayaks are running 14' - 16'. That would be the way to do it though. Secure and dry.

My brother and I have Yakima Rack and Roll trailers. With the upgraded shock, it’s rated for 350 lbs.

Folds up for storage inside, and can be fitted for different load configurations that might meet your need.

but it’s spendy...

8527CF65-BBA1-4FE8-A560-36524983D622.jpeg

D288722E-A41D-4733-999E-96D633D4EF53.jpeg

Folding is nice but almost $3k....damn

Rent a utility trailer and for $300 put one of these on it...

1591828580709.png

Put the kayaks on the rack, bikes in the trailer and the gear in the cartop carrier and/or the trailer. It will have a lower profile than blkes or kayaks on the roof. You will need the trailer space to carry kayak paddles , PFD's, etc.

Last edited:
I use to store our Kayaks in my 12x6 enclosed trailer. My kayaks are only 10’ long.
but I like the trailer with the kayaks on bottom and bikes on a rake above. And you may be able to store your camping gear on it also. And not need the roof top carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom