Advice needed on combining 2 brake boosters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search and couldn't find something that matches my issue. A bit of a background:

The booster that came with the car has a strange issue that sounds like a pipe into the accumulator is too small and fluid is getting forced in by the pump, resulting in a horrible screech with each pump and longer than normal running when cold. Motor doesn't sound laboured though, runs continuously at what I think is a normal operation. Also don't notice it running often while driving so seems to be more efficient once warmed up.

To make matters stranger this only happens when vehicle is left outside in winter - but I'm talking low teen (centigrade) temps. Does not happen in Summer, and once warm the screeching usually stops, and motor doesn't run again before starting later in the day (pressure maintained in accumulator presumably). So it's almost as if the "cold" weather is constricting a pipe or seal somewhere...

I bought a 2nd hand unit off an apparent low mileage rolled cruiser and swapped it out. Worked great for a while but then motor sounded like it couldn't get pressure in accumulator which resulted in long running time of pump, pump cutting out, failed brakes and alarms. Pump would run for 2 seconds and cut out, and repeat until the pressure was back up and the alarm went off.

Had auto electrician open up original pump and rebuild / rewind the motor which he said didn't look very worn, put it back in and it worked great. Until winter and the screeching start again.

So, my question is - on the original booster what do you recommend I try swapping out with of the 2nd unit? Accumulator or something else?

Thanks in advance. I'll get a video of the the screech tomorrow morning.

Fault codes from shorting the diagnostic port are:

11 - Open or short in ABS solenoid relay circuit*
41 - Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage (did have a battery die not long ago)
52 - Hydraulic Brake Booster Pump Motor ON Time Abnormally Long

* checked continuity on solenoid relay as per FSM and not as indicated so will replace

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom