Advice for 7 year old (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
For the last two years my son (almost 7) has been using a Baja Beast around the neighborhood and when we camp. We're on our second one, but it's held up pretty well. He's asking for a new one from Santa so I'm thinking of stepping him up to something better.

I know zero about RC cars. He wants something that is "offroad" but I don't think he'd get into a super crawler. He is 7 after all, he likes things that go fast and kick up dust. He can control the one he has really well, but from the research I've done, it's not nearly as fast as the gas powered ones. I've been looking at the Traxxas battery powered ones and am leaning in that direction. Just trying to get some feedback. And advice?

Last edited:
Friend of mine is a huge RC buff, he got his boy a Traxxas Slash 4wd. It's got some setting on his controller that cuts the power by half. Still plenty fast for his kid, but it's not non-stop wrecks. He also got a spare battery and a in car quick charger, so they just swap them out as he plays.

I have both Traxxas 2WD and 4WD and they're both great. They have now the Velineon power combo and nearly waterproof as well. hhmmm, just don't drive or soak it under water... :D

For a 7yo kid, I think 2WD is good enough and the lipo with do the trick as well.

Get the brushless set up and upgrade to lipo batteries and they're far more superior than niCad.

Good info, thanks!

I called a hobby shop in town and they also recommended a Traxxas 2WD. Either a Slash or a Stampede. There is a big price jump from those to the 4x4s and much faster ones too. He also mentioned the 2WD ones were easier for a youngster to control.

There's a big difference in ground clearance and tire size between the Slash and Stampede. One is set up for a track and one is for bashing around. If he's running it over very differed terrain (camping and around the neighborhood) I'd stick with something more monster truckish than stadium/ short course truckish. Definitely recommend Traxxas. Check out the Summit!

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5607summit

There's a big difference in ground clearance and tire size between the Slash and Stampede. One is set up for a track and one is for bashing around. If he's running it over very differed terrain (camping and around the neighborhood) I'd stick with something more monster truckish than stadium/ short course truckish. Definitely recommend Traxxas. Check out the Summit!

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5607summit

The $630 price tag takes the Summit out of the running.......but it looks cool.

I would go for a Stampede. That chassis has been around for a LONG time. There are a ton of aftermarket parts and for a kid, they are pretty robust. I would probably go with a 2wd electric. They are great right out of the box and their simple design makes them pretty easy, and inexpensive to keep running. I would stay brushed for now, maybe a 12T motor and a good lipo battery will give you excellent run times. Battery technology has come a long way and the lipos can hang with the gas trucks on drive time these days. A lot less temperamental too. I have a nitro truck and while it is fun to drive, it is a testy lady and getting one running right is not something a 7 year old will have the patience for.

The Slash is a good solid rig but has more moving parts to break, and less ground clearance. You mentioned camping and such and for a beater in the woods I think the Pede will be a better choice.

Good luck. :cheers:

^^Thanks for that. Great stuff. The more I look into this hobby, the more I learn about how much these can be modified. The Stampede price tag lends itself to upgrades that a 7 year old can get psyched about.

Seems like spending a little $$ on a good extra battery and 12v charger is a good idea too?

^^Thanks for that. Great stuff. The more I look into this hobby, the more I learn about how much these can be modified. The Stampede price tag lends itself to upgrades that a 7 year old can get psyched about.

Seems like spending a little $$ on a good extra battery and 12v charger is a good idea too?

Yeah, they have been around and have a huge aftermarket following, and you are right, the parts are not going to break the bank and would be pretty easy for a young one to save up for.

On the battery, a stick pack (NiCd or NiHm) and a good charger is going to be easiest for the little man to handle himself, but will not give you the longer runtimes. A lipo pack will give him tons of runtime, but require a good lipo charger and come with a few special handling rules, well not really handling, mostly charging rules. If you are up for helping him out with that then a lipo pack would be a good way to go. I remember the thing I hated most as a kid with a new RC was that it seemed like the batteries would only last like 5 or 10 minutes and then I would have to wait hours for them to recharge (at least that is how I remember it :))

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Try going to rcgroups.com.... I am a member there as well, mostly on the airplane side but have a few cars and trucks also.

Try browsing through their classifieds and if you don't mind buying used, that's the place to go... I got a 2WD from them and it was only $125 and after spending another $100 on upgrade suspension and ESC, it ran like a champ.
I got my 4WD brushless traxxas there for $250! Then of course spent more on upgrades!

Cheers:D

Check out amainhobbies.com

They have some great Black Friday deals that run tomorrow only.

Here is some screen shots of the prices.

Hope this helps.

image-1765859455.jpg

image-751432049.jpg

image-89051563.jpg

image-3948777808.jpg

image-1558579263.jpg

I think a Traxxas Stampede 2wd is or is one of the best monster trucks ever!!

I own two Stampedes and also have many others ranging from the Summit - Slash 2wd. Also have a HPI Flux HP monster.

The reason I say a Stampede is 100% due to durability, ease of repair, waterproof and best of all is price. This truck has been around forever and everybody else has tried to copy it or build a better one with no avail for the price.

Your son would probably LOVE the Monster Jam series of the Stampede. I have a Monster Jam Stampede and it is actually setup better than a regular Stampede. They have better suspenson and tires plus look waaay cool.

Also the Stampede is very highly upgradable to make even better as his driving demands them.

Good luck on your choice :beer:

The $630 price tag takes the Summit out of the running.......but it looks cool.

That's more like MSRP... what, Dad can't take on a new hobby? Kidding...
I concur with the last couple posts above ^^^

Good thread.

I have a 7 year old as well. I just ordered two of the 2wd Slashes for Christmas (one for him, one for me). I went for the kit without a battery or charger, and am going straight to the lipos. We'll upgrade to brushless as his skills increase.

For anyone not familiar with LiPo I strongly suggest reading up on it for safety precautions. LiPo was just getting big when I was getting out of electric and in to gas so I can't go on about it other than they go boom when they get too hot... Hopefully product advancement has helped, dunno.

I was a little hesitant at first. It sounds like the main trouble situations are low-voltage and overcharging.

From my research, having an esc with low-voltage cutoff and a decent charger (along with knowing how to use it) are key.

I also went with "soft" batteries so I can hopefully spot a bad one before it is too late.

It's probably a good idea to watch the exploding lipo YouTube videos to give you a healthy respect for what you're dealing with!

For anyone not familiar with LiPo I strongly suggest reading up on it for safety precautions. LiPo was just getting big when I was getting out of electric and in to gas so I can't go on about it other than they go boom when they get too hot... Hopefully product advancement has helped, dunno.

^^^ THIS...

Ski Lipos and Gens Ace has served me well so far after 9years... They are the next best thing after Hyperion and Thunderpower. At least for airplanes that I use...

As for cars, I've been running nanoforce and CRC hardcase only...

I was a little hesitant at first. It sounds like the main trouble situations are low-voltage and overcharging.

From my research, having an esc with low-voltage cutoff and a decent charger (along with knowing how to use it) are key.

I also went with "soft" batteries so I can hopefully spot a bad one before it is too late.

Let the lipo cool down before recharging and always balance charge them to get all cells balanced. Put them in storage "mode" charge when not in use for more than two weeks... Having a lipo that cannot handle the power coming from a motor is one bad sign and it will puff. That's if you upgrade to a Castle or Neu motors that have higher kV rating... Nothing against hobbyking, but I don't get their lipos.

Go with the hardcase if I were you. Lipo, from consistent jumping and getting thrown around while running the rc truck, might puncture the soft case and leak, is dangerous... Any time a lipo puff's, throw it away... never try using it until "it" stops charging. A friend of mine did that twice and it caught on fire...

Higher "C' rating also helps in handling the surge/burst power thrown into the lipo. I run 60C continuous and 100C burst and after (approximately) 200 cycles on most of mine, still holds charges like a champ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom