Adjusting rear Hatch (top section) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems the top section of my Hatch isn't completely flush and could use some minor adjustment. According to the service manual, I'd have to drop the headliner. Clearly, this is something I'd like to avoid if possible. Does anyone have experience doing this or does anyone know why it would lose proper alignment? (not having been in an accident).

Thanks!

Reactions: Sud
You can move the joints a little bit. Same with the lower hatch. But it never gets that 100% tight. In deep rivers mostly water came on the rear into the car if it got deeper.

Mine seems to not quite close flush either, as evidenced by a ~1/8" mismatch between the outer taillights and the ones on the hatch. I've tried to adjust before as well, with no success. It seems like the lower gate stops are the issue, as the upper gate closes flush with the lower gate dropped. Mine has had some bodywork done, but none that should have affected the hatches to my knowledge. Maybe someone will have more input. I thought about grinding down the rubber on the lower hatch stops, but stopped short of doing it as it really makes no difference in function of the gate.

You can move the joints a little bit. Same with the lower hatch. But it never gets that 100% tight. In deep rivers mostly water came on the rear into the car if it got deeper.
Not sure if your username is any indication of your answer. Pretty sure the po who was a doctor didn't do any river crossings. Lol. He actually reported it to the dealer years ago and they didn't seem to fix it for unknown reasons.

Mine seems to not quite close flush either, as evidenced by a ~1/8" mismatch between the outer taillights and the ones on the hatch. I've tried to adjust before as well, with no success. It seems like the lower gate stops are the issue, as the upper gate closes flush with the lower gate dropped. Mine has had some bodywork done, but none that should have affected the hatches to my knowledge. Maybe someone will have more input. I thought about grinding down the rubber on the lower hatch stops, but stopped short of doing it as it really makes no difference in function of the gate.
Yea I was able to do the same and also correct some of it by the bottom latch. The top hinges are what I'm dreading though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom