Accidentally purchased a rust bucket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get rid of that undercoating, hit it with Por15 or eastmans, and apply Fluid Film or Krown. You’ll be ok. (says the guy who also cluelessly bought a rusty LX)

As is sales here in CT. I know the place. They are generally good with sales. Like most places they probably thought they was doing you a favor by using it. Hell I thought that rubber stuff was good for rust until I came a member on here. Watch a few YouTube videos and now it's just fluid film for me. Clean it up best you can fluid film it and ride into the sunset. Good luck with it

I live in the salt belt like you and rust is just a way of life. I don't think you overpaid at all at $17k. A true rust free '06 would be more $$ than you paid up here in New England. I highly doubt the dealership used Por15 as it takes a lot of prep and costs much more than bulk rubber undercoating that requires no prep.

There is a guy in CT who will sandblast the undercarriage and apply the top coat of your choice for about $600. PM me if you're interested - I'd have to see if I can find his contact info.

I treat mine annually with Krown, NH Oil Undercoating, and now CRC marine corrosion inhibitor (which I like the best). My undercarriage looks the same as yours.

Don't stress over it. You're about to get married and buy a house - you have much more stressful things to worry about :)

And I’m s*** scared of getting under a jacked up car.
Grab some 2x4s and make a set of these. I’ve had mine for 15 years and they’ll probably hold up an ocean liner.
345A8196-4283-4CF5-A22A-E0378CF2FA3C.jpeg

I live in the salt belt like you and rust is just a way of life. I don't think you overpaid at all at $17k. A true rust free '06 would be more $$ than you paid up here in New England. I highly doubt the dealership used Por15 as it takes a lot of prep and costs much more than bulk rubber undercoating that requires no prep.

There is a guy in CT who will sandblast the undercarriage and apply the top coat of your choice for about $600. PM me if you're interested - I'd have to see if I can find his contact info.

I treat mine annually with Krown, NH Oil Undercoating, and now CRC marine corrosion inhibitor (which I like the best). My undercarriage looks the same as yours.

Don't stress over it. You're about to get married and buy a house - you have much more stressful things to worry about :)

How did you apply CRC(is this Cosmoline?) over the oil based products?

I just Woolwaxed my underside and it’s on there very thick.

Yes it was. I think they used rubber undercoat. I feel a bit scammed.
The fact you haven't burned the place to the ground shows some impressive self control.

How did you apply CRC(is this Cosmoline?) over the oil based products?

I am on an annual schedule with the undercarriage spray so by the time I redo it, the oil based products are mostly dried up so I just sprayed it on. I don't know if it's cosmoline, but I like it because it semi-hardens to a wax like finish and doesn't drip in my driveway like the oil based stuff does.

Anyone use rp-342?
The video seems convincing. Please share videos of rust prep that you find to be best.

This is my favorite comparison video and the one that got me to try CRC marine corrosion inhibitor. RP-342 is part of the test.

This is my favorite comparison video and the one that got me to try CRC marine corrosion inhibitor. RP-342 is part of the test.

Yeah 342 and CRC are both Cosmoline. I wish I had used that instead of FF/Woolwax. I’m covered in black oil if I’m anywhere near the undercarriage

Thats a great looking truck.

Keeping in mind that many iron components are designed for intentional oxidation. The oxidized layer provides corrosion resistance for the material beneath it. Same theory as used on power/transfer/telecom poles/etc. I've never seen a diff or axle tube compromised by corrosion. Brackets yes. I'm curious if this intentional oxidation is part of the design.

Also, awesome shop.

I don’t think weathering steel is commonly used in the automotive industry. I could be wrong though.

Looks fine. Surface rust that you will see in regions that salt their roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom