Accidentally purchased a rust bucket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

When I first bought my 2006 lx470 there seemed to be zero rust. Even a week after buying I put it up on a local mechanics lift and it seemed clean. But, it was clear that the dealership used a rubberized undercoat to cover the whole bottom of the vehicle

So, I got a chance to see my rig on a lift again two months after purchase. And after a couple of Snows and road saltings the under coat is starting to chip off. What is starting to be revealed it some pretty extensive rust. The frame seems to be ok but, most of the smaller moving parts seem to have large flaky rust and perhaps even rot.

Again, it’s hard to see with the undercoat covering the bottom. The recent inspection really opened my eyes. Now I’ve recently dropped $2,500 in parts to maintain and upgrade some things and they are still arriving in the mail.

I’m getting some buyers remorse and wanted some advice from you knowledgeable folks. What would you do? I’m thinking of just installing the parts I’ve currently ordered and not spend any more money on this rig.

My question is should I try to sell it? Or should I just use it till the wheels fall off? I feel really ripped off after spending 17k on this. It has 143k miles. It drives like a dream but I wanted to keep it long term. This is so disappointing. With a wedding coming up and closing on a new house I don’t think i can handle more problems with my car. I bought it with the intention of not having headaches.

Should I just start with maintenance and fluid film after this winter season? I live in NYC so the salt on snowy days is a big problem. Does anyone know of a service in NYC that will scrape off and fluid film my car?I’ve checked out Krown and they are a bit far and will not scrape off the rust.

Check out the link below to see the extent of the rust on the under carriage. Sorry if it’s poor video quality.

Last edited:
I'm sure the video doesn't tell the whole story, but I don't see anything terribly concerning. Looks to be far from a rust bucket from, IMO.

I say the following in jest...a substantial portion of this forum may need to seek psychological help for their phobia of any and everything resembling rust.

I'm sure the video doesn't tell the whole story, but I don't see anything terribly concerning. Looks to be far from a rust bucket from, IMO.

I say the following in jest...a substantial portion of this forum may need to seek psychological help for their phobia of any and everything resembling rust.

I agree. I’ve seen much worse. I would take a wire wheel and scrap off all flaking Rust and put a stop to any more. If you have the time start scraping away as much as possible and put rust converter on it then paint. Leave off rubber coating so you can keep an eye on it. Just fluid film after that.
If it’s driving good, keep driving. If your scared of it, sell it before you sink any more money into it and look for another one.

I’m not seeing anything bad but that video is horrible because you’re moving rather quickly the entire time. Need to slow down and zoom in on areas.

You and I have a different definition of rust bucket.
I see some rust spots on parts but nothing terrible. I purchased a 02 rust bucket 4Runner in September. Lost braking because I lost power steering fluid due to the lines corroding. I tried changing some brake lines and due to rust on the bolts it was impossible. The frame was still good. Fixed the problems and sold it.

As long as the frame is good change them parts and drive till the wheels falls off.

Try not to go too much off the video. It’s worse then it seems because the undercoating is not showing the really rusty spots. But it is flaking off in chunks. Again I apologize for the poor video quality. I will take the advice and maintain as long as I can. Will probably do some rust maintenance this up coming summer.

I would sell it. If it is flaking so soon then undercoating wasn't done right. It will rot from the inside out.

Was this the CT rig?

I paused the video a few times and see the por15 paint flaking off. I would be pissed.

Was this the CT rig?

I paused the video a few times and see the por15 paint flaking off. I would be pissed.
Yes it was. I think they used rubber undercoat. I feel a bit scammed. I couldn’t even sell it for the same amount even with the mods and maintenance I’m about to do.

What are you talking about rust? Do you have holes yet in your gas tank skid yet? No. You still have original muffler. Far from a rust bucket.

Does not look to bad, they probably sprayed over dirt and surface rust. I would power-spray off as much of it as possible to get a good look.
More important: Check the body - look around the windshield and rear window - that is where the 'cancer' is dangerous.

Yes it was. I think they used rubber undercoat. I feel a bit scammed. I couldn’t even sell it for the same amount even with the mods and maintenance I’m about to do.
Did you buy it from a dealership? I am honestly amazed they even bothered to undercoat it. Most places here in Chicago would never bother with that. Rust is so common here, it's just part of life on older vehicles.

Heck, I work in detailing and we have a 2019 Raptor at the shop from Iowa, never even seen winter yet, only 1,200 miles on the truck and the rear diff housing is completely rusted, not a single spec of paint left on it. I can take a pic tomorrow, it's hilarious.

Did you buy it from a dealership? I am honestly amazed they even bothered to undercoat it. Most places here in Chicago would never bother with that. Rust is so common here, it's just part of life on older vehicles.

Heck, I work in detailing and we have a 2019 Raptor at the shop from Iowa, never even seen winter yet, only 1,200 miles on the truck and the rear diff housing is completely rusted, not a single spec of paint left on it. I can take a pic tomorrow, it's hilarious.
That actually is pretty funny. And this is making me feel a bit better about the whole thing.
would youguys say it’s safe to wheel? Should I continue moding it?

You should definitely talk to roadready. I would try to recoup money but that's unlikely. At the minimum they should scrape off the por15 and remediate the rust.

You should definitely talk to roadready. I would try to recoup money but that's unlikely. At the minimum they should scrape off the por15 and remediate the rust.
Yea right. Why would they do that? I appreciate the advice. But I doubt they will do anything for me. They’re a bunch of hustlers. Made me feel dumb.

I agree with others: This does not appear to be as bad as you think. At least not based on the video. I’d wire wheel to clean bare metal as much as possible and then treat + paint over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom