Accelerator Linkage Fail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
Im trying to install a m accelerator linkage and the pieces won’t reach each other?

My ‘78 forty came with a rather sketchy throttle linkage put in by the PO. It finally bit the dust, left me and the kids stranded, but eventually got home and resolved to Fix It Right!

I got a pedal and full linkage from fellow New Englander @cruiserland, then set about install. Managed to destroy the adjustable accelerator rod and got a quick replacement from @ToyotaMatt. Thank you!

But now the real fail: the gas pedal seems to stick out too far and too low? I’ve been searching pics of other pedals for hours. Some seem very similar, some not at all.

Before I try bending the pedal upward to reach the adjustable rod am I missing something???

E63ECE61-E461-43FD-B8C2-1B2A54963070.jpeg

3DC403A7-C63D-4D0A-80DC-89B6B14D0FF2.jpeg

E707EC33-11C6-4529-84B0-F5A49EFAEF65.jpeg

B4A82A96-8A0A-4B7B-8BF9-2D18E33C5FFE.jpeg

Based on some pictures I've seen it looks like the attachment end of the pedal was bent at 90 degrees. Second image on this page.
Thanks Byron, perhaps a good re-bend is the way to go. This one does seem bent the same as mine though. Here Could there be many different versions? I would think no?

Thanks Byron, perhaps a good re-bend is the way to go. This one does seem bent the same as mine though. Here Could there be many different versions? I would think no?
Interestingly enough I am going through the almost same situation. PO bent the linkage to use with a cable…. Cruisercorps has a used sale going on- but I think you’ll be set with a little mapgas torch and some careful manipulation to get that 90 bend

EB608B80-09E3-442D-9044-4DB94B8D5CEE.png

That is an FJ55 pedal on a 2F FJ40 firewall bracket. If you heat it up with a torch you can get the 90 degree bend you need.
The difference in the 2 pedals is that angle, about 75 degrees on the 55 pedal, 90 on the FJ40 pedal.

Thanks @GatorPlater, I was debating trying to elongate the linkage rod by getting another threaded rod and a coupling nut/ferrule. But bending would seem more straightforward.

Just seeing this...I'd be happy to send you another pedal, that could be a late 55 that snuck in the 40 box...
Thanks Kina, that'd be great. I'll send back the suspected 55 pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom